Kintyre Vernacular

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Postby hugh » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:42 pm

Yes, boose, as in petted lip, but used in the context of "that wiz boosin'" = so obvious it was making faces. Written down I thought it might be mistaken for boozing, which is sometimes written down in these parts as boosing. Tricky thing slang.

4th Gen. They've got doags in Aberdeen. They also pronounce balls the same way kintyre people do, maybe that's a highland/lowland difference?
(not doing the jokes, that's too boosin')

General Jack. I think, just think, that Angus may have written it the way I did in one of his books. And I seem to remember he said it may have
come from the French "bouche" = mouth. If it was there could be a common connection between boosing and boozing?
hugh
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby gizmo » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:48 pm

Boosing can be used both ways... Best expression ever for a greeting faced wean.. "wid ye look at the boose on him" or something that was totally obvious as in "I could tell he wis going to miss that penalty, it wis boosing." As to Cooks corner, double checked and there was a shop owned by a man called Cook later used by Hodges the jeweller then of course the Courier..
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby hugh » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:55 pm

I sit corrected. Still prefer my corners with pubs on, though
hugh
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby EMDEE » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:00 pm

http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/gaidhlig/faclair/bb/bb.html#b

bus
nm. g.v. buis; pl. buis, mouth of an animal; (in a ludicrous sense) mouth of a man (quote)

There is probably a common source for the French "bouche" and Gaelic "bus".

Donald Shaw of Capercaillie has composed a reel and called it "Am bus beag", and it is translated as "the small facial grimace"

Of course there is the expression "te the boose" meaning intoxicated.
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:07 pm

Ma da used to say syning the dishes - we hif dugs here in glesga :D
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby hugh » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:17 pm

Emdee. Thanks. heard that saying and never made the connection 'til now. Fascinating topic.

Ionns. Do Glaswegians get hungry dugs to syne the dishes? Killing two burds wae wan stane? :idea: :)
hugh
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby ionnsaigh » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:22 pm

Naw to many hungry weans -the dugs get bugger all - a seen a dug wae a tail up here yesterday - it must hif been a visitor. :lol:
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:22 pm

Hence the expression "pot-licker" for a doag.
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:30 pm

A noticed a dug yesterday - a boxer called Caesar - the wummin that hid the dug - wiz stull in hur pyjamas . a lot of wummin up here - noo seem tae think it's ok - tae go oot in thur night clays.
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:33 pm

Do you have a pair of binoculars?
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:37 pm

No the same there ano is it
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby spangles » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:41 pm

general jack o'niell wrote:your mixing your dialects there, the seevan and eleeven is carradale, the rest campbeltown,

I have just seen this and I can tell you there's no mix up!

They say it in the dale as well but you ask a Campbeltonian and they will tell you the same. It's "eleeven meenuts past seevun.!!

S
spangles

Postby gizmo » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:52 pm

Just spoke to my sis in Edinburgh and apparently they sine their dishes as well.. That has spoile the word for me, it must be one of them lowland interlopers :cry:
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby EMDEE » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:19 pm

gizmo wrote:Just spoke to my sis in Edinburgh and apparently they sine their dishes as well.. That has spoile the word for me, it must be one of them lowland interlopers :cry:

I used to think it was exclusively a Kintyre word until I discovered it in the vernacular poems of Edinburgh poet Robert Fergusson (1750-1774). He used the word many times in his poetry, and it is the version with the “d” at the end. Example:

What makes Auld Reikie’s dames sae fair?
It canna be the halesome air,
But caller burn beyond compare,
The best of ony,
That gars them a’ sic graces skair,
An’ blink sae bonny.

On May-day in a fairy ring,
We’ve seen them round St Anthon’s spring,
Frae grass the caller dewdrops wring,
To weet their een,
And water clear as crystal spring,
To synd them clean.

(Caller Water)
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby general jack o'niell » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:15 pm

as usual you'll be right and i'll be wrong, born in and brought up in campbeltown of a carradale family so i won't know anything about anything, far less how any word might be pronounced, the seevin and eleevin, is not pronounced as see and lee as it would be in the town but se and le with the "e" elongated and drawn out so maybe se-e-even and ele-e-e-ven, would be phonetically more correct, though i'll probably be wrong about that too, its a wonder i manage to put my shoes on the correct feet in the morning, i'm only just getting the hang of putting my breeks on one leg at a time.
general jack o'niell

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs