Biggar bids to be Scotland's first carbon-neutral community

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

No plastic bags

Postby deirdreh » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:26 pm

I noticed in the news that a place in Devon or Cornwall is now a plastic bag free zone with shoppers being given / sold material bags or recycled paper ones.

Has anyone ever invented a wheelie bin that can holds lots of separated compartments for different types of reusable waste?

Sounds interesting..
deirdreh

Re: No plastic bags

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:34 pm

deirdreh wrote:Has anyone ever invented a wheelie bin that can holds lots of separated compartments for different types of reusable waste?

Sounds interesting..

Sounds daft to me.

How big would it need to be? How would you empty it without the contents of all the cute little compartments getting mixed up?

If the council are genuine in wanting to reduce the amount of rubbish we throw away then they'd replace our existing bins with smaller versions of the same, but still collect them weekly, rather than leaving us with the big bins and the stench of a fortnight's rotting chicken carcasses.
Beachcomber
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Hadrians hiring! » Tue May 01, 2007 6:56 am

deirdreh wrote:I noticed in the news that a place in Devon or Cornwall is now a plastic bag free zone with shoppers being given / sold material bags or recycled paper ones.

Has anyone ever invented a wheelie bin that can holds lots of separated compartments for different types of reusable waste?

Sounds interesting..

yep but on the other hand, there was a report on the latest fashion accesory being a hand made shopping bag with a strap line on it about the fact it wasn't plastic - selling shed loads to the politically correct.

Made in sweat shops in Far East - not very pc really.
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
Hadrians hiring!
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby deirdreh » Tue May 01, 2007 10:12 pm

Hadrians hiring! wrote:
deirdreh wrote:I noticed in the news that a place in Devon or Cornwall is now a plastic bag free zone with shoppers being given / sold material bags or recycled paper ones.

Sounds interesting..

yep but on the other hand, there was a report on the latest fashion accesory being a hand made shopping bag with a strap line on it about the fact it wasn't plastic - selling shed loads to the politically correct.

Made in sweat shops in Far East - not very pc really.

Very true.
deirdreh

Postby Beachcomber » Wed May 02, 2007 7:45 am

Hadrians hiring! wrote:Made in sweat shops in Far East - not very pc really.

So true of so many of our everyday items. :(
It seems like we don't actually manufacture *anything* in the UK these days, although that can't really be the case.
Beachcomber
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby gromit » Wed May 02, 2007 10:12 am

Hadrians hiring! wrote:there was a report on the latest fashion accesory being a hand made shopping bag with a strap line on it about the fact it wasn't plastic - selling shed loads to the politically correct.

And now being re-sold on Ebay for a lot more than the original buyer paid.

==>http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160110724855
gromit
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby dedalus » Thu May 17, 2007 3:41 pm

I read recently that Mars is heating up too - I suppose thats the fault of my volvo too? Damn tricky science this global warming huh?
dedalus
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby general jack o'niell » Fri May 18, 2007 2:40 pm

aye but it will still p!ss with rain for the fair fortnight!!!!!
general jack o'niell

Previous

Return to Current Affairs