Shorter sentences for murder

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Re: Shorter sentences for murder

Postby ionnsaigh » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:14 pm

Capital Punishment has been tried before - wither it be mob lynching - burning at the stake, stoning -through to the trendier modern means of hanging - electric shock, or lethal injection. One thing to be considered is - it's effectiveness, in terms of deterrence. According to all informed sources - Capital Punishment fails to serve this purpose. Alas for those who demand revenge - this vitally important concept, is regretably ignored by those who bully - for the death sentence.
It is purely a thirst for blood - a mark of the primitive man. All civilised people would condemn such state brutality - for the act it surely is.
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby petewick » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:20 pm

ionnsaigh wrote:Capital Punishment has been tried before - wither it be mob lynching - burning at the stake, stoning -through to the trendier modern means of hanging - electric shock, or lethal injection. One thing to be considered is - it's effectiveness, in terms of deterrence. According to all informed sources - Capital Punishment fails to serve this purpose. Alas for those who demand revenge - this vitally important concept, is regretably ignored by those who bully - for the death sentence.
It is purely a thirst for blood - a mark of the primitive man. All civilised people would condemn such state brutality - for the act it surely is.

Agreed about the deterrent part, Albert Pierrepoint said that hanging never put them off killing, and I think
if anyone he should have known.
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:19 pm

ionnsaigh wrote: - it's effectiveness, in terms of deterrence. According to all informed sources - Capital Punishment fails to serve this purpose.

Just the same old same old from the same mealy mouthed slap on the wrist and don't do it again brigade.

How can you possibly say that in terms of detterence capital punishment fails ? ? ? ? ?

As a previous poster has pointed out, NOT ONE PERSON WHO HAS BEEN LAWFULLY EXECUTED HAS EVER RE-OFFENDED.

100% SUCCESS RATE.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Tosh » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:57 pm

bill wrote:
ionnsaigh wrote: - it's effectiveness, in terms of deterrence. According to all informed sources - Capital Punishment fails to serve this purpose.

Just the same old same old from the same mealy mouthed slap on the wrist and don't do it again brigade.

How can you possibly say that in terms of detterence capital punishment fails ? ? ? ? ?

As a previous poster has pointed out, NOT ONE PERSON WHO HAS BEEN LAWFULLY EXECUTED HAS EVER RE-OFFENDED.

100% SUCCESS RATE.

You obviously (deliberately?) fail to understand the point of a deterrent.
If capitol punishment worked as a deterrent then nobody would ever have been executed anyway.
Welcome...
Back to the circus...
Tosh
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Govangirl » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:20 am

I know it's not what people want to hear but I will never, ever support capital punishment - not while I have no faith whatsoever in our justice system. Only tonight on the news was there a story about a woman just released from prison (after serving three years) on a grave miscarriage of justice. She was found guilty of killing the baby she babysat and then it was discovered he had a brain disorder. If she had been killed by the state, could we bring her back? :shock: Also on tonight's news was the case of Colin Stagg. The Police were way out of order on that one! How many women in the last 5 years alone were convicted of their own children's murders on a CPS witch-hunt and then were found to be innocent? I feel very strongly about this and although most will disagree with me, we cannot bring in the death penalty until we have a better judicial system in the first place.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby petewick » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:58 pm

Only to emphasise on the Colin Stagg case, police had ample evidence to arrest the guilty man
but never followed it up, and he went on to kill another woman and her 4 year old daughter while
the cop's had their finger on Colin Stagg. Imagine if Colin Stagg and the babysitter had been executed
and the truth came to light as it did this week, I shudder to think.
And as you say bill, anyone who has been executed has never re-offended, ditto with someone who has been locked
up for the rest of their life. Myra Hindley, Ian Brady, Peter Sutcliffe, Dennis Nilsen to name a few.
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:30 pm

Girl, no I don't agree with you. However when one considers your own personal tragedy - at the hands of crime.Then your post reflects one without any - self destructive bitterness or hatred - it is indeed an accolade to your personality and sense of fair play.

bill, the Iraqi Doctor who attemtped to murder as many people as possible - the reality of the matter - he failed to kill anyone.
However perhaps you could attempt to understand this terrorist - by introducing some empathy for him.
Here was a guy who watched his country - invaded by America and Britain. Resulting in the complete break up of his home and loved ones - and the continuing heavy cost - of the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqi people.
What would you do - if that country was Scotland - obey the law?
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:49 pm

ionnsaigh wrote:.

bill, the Iraqi Doctor who attemtped to murder as many people as possible - the reality of the matter - he failed to kill anyone.
However perhaps you could attempt to understand this terrorist - by introducing some empathy for him.
Here was a guy who watched his country - invaded by America and Britain. Resulting in the complete break up of his home and loved ones - and the continuing heavy cost - of the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqi people.
What would you do - if that country was Scotland - obey the law?

He failed in his attempts at mass murder through incompetence.

Obviously you take the view that it was okay for him to bomb the innocent people going about their business at Glasgow airport owing to" the complete break up of his home and loved ones - and the continuing heavy cost - of the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqi people."

It is two days to the 20th anniversary of the bombing of Pan Am flight 103 over Lockerbie.I wonder how many of the relatives of the dead are as forgiving.

No Merry Christmas for them.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:31 am

Wither he failed by incompetence, or any another reason, isn't really the point. The plain fact of the matter is, he never killed anyone. No - I don't take the view that his actions, where justified in any shape or form. However the circumstances that led to the crime - can't be ignored, and hidden under the table. Intentions are primarily psychological, a desire or drive. This can be split into two main components - positive and negative - depending on the individual circumstances at that given time.
Take two people - each with the intent of killing as many as possible. Yet society can deem one progressive - while condemning the other destructive. I try to bear this in mind - when forming judgement - particularly having been ( like all of us ) subjected to years of government propoganda - when it comes to that disaster Iraq.
Merry Christmas bill :D
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sweltered » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:15 pm

2 Police Officers killed here yesterday, just trying to serve a warrant. Thankfully the scumbag was dealt with appropriately at the scene, so no need for a lengthy trial and subsequent lengthy stay on death row. Oh and since he was hiding in his attic, they had to demolish the house to get at him. I'm not kidding, they turned the house into matchwood. Just an empty lot now.

"Justice you sons of bitches"
Judge Roy Bean
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:51 am

Sweltered wrote:2 Police Officers killed here yesterday, just trying to serve a warrant. Thankfully the scumbag was dealt with appropriately at the scene, so no need for a lengthy trial and subsequent lengthy stay on death row. Oh and since he was hiding in his attic, they had to demolish the house to get at him. I'm not kidding, they turned the house into matchwood. Just an empty lot now.

Judge Roy Bean

Only one small problem here, your satisfaction at the death of One, is greater than your mourning for the death of Two.
Have you been out without your Sunhat again ? :D
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sweltered » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:46 pm

ionnsaigh wrote:
Sweltered wrote:2 Police Officers killed here yesterday, just trying to serve a warrant. Thankfully the scumbag was dealt with appropriately at the scene, so no need for a lengthy trial and subsequent lengthy stay on death row. Oh and since he was hiding in his attic, they had to demolish the house to get at him. I'm not kidding, they turned the house into matchwood. Just an empty lot now.

Judge Roy Bean

Only one small problem here, your satisfaction at the death of One, is greater than your mourning for the death of Two.
Have you been out without your Sunhat again ? :D

Actually no. He got what he deserved. One less child molester walking the streets.
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:20 pm

Sweltered wrote: One less child molester walking the streets.

Maybe - at such a high cost...
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sweltered » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:52 pm

Yup. track them down and hang them high
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Current Affairs