George Bush

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Postby Topic » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:54 am

Trapper wrote:Tell me how you explain the legality of Bush's first election win?

When GWB won his first term, the florida vote was rattified under florida law, and was done so legally. If you are speaking about vote tampering or some other attempt to influence the vote, then this was never proved. Both sides accused each other. They both probably did it. One side says black, the other says white.

If Gore and the Democrats were SO sure the vote was illegal, why did they give up so easily? Maybe they knew the right story.
Topic
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:10 pm

I love the Gore quote: "I used to be the next President of the United States."

There was much question about Florida's election, it was a very close race, incompetence was a big issue.. but sometimes more damage is done in fighting something than letting it go. I don't think by letting it go they were saying everything was right.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sweltered » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:58 pm

Yes Bobbie, but they let it go too easily
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby george w » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:08 pm

Bobbie En Tejas wrote:There was much question about Florida's election, it was a very close race, incompetence was a big issue.. but sometimes more damage is done in fighting something than letting it go. I don't think by letting it go they were saying everything was right.

Hey I bought that election fair and square, and I ain't gonna let anyone say different, ok?

Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Hmm ...

Postby Annie » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:22 am

He should have been the next president. AND, how come the decision was sent from the electoral college to the supreme court, and the Supremes, just happened to let the time lapse on their decision?

Geesh! How much money does the Bush family have?????
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Hmm ...

Postby Sweltered » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:01 pm

Annie wrote:

He should have been the next president. AND, how come the decision was sent from the electoral college to the supreme court, and the Supremes, just happened to let the time lapse on their decision?

Geesh! How much money does the Bush family have?????

Not that much, if it wasn't for the Walkers.

A conspiracy including the supreme court is pushing it, I may be wrong, but didn't they ratrify the decision, albeit with with a 1 vote majority?
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

gw

Postby mary,queen of everything » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:30 am

Frankly , I think that gw does marginally well for a retarded person
MQOE
sent using recycled electrons
mary,queen of everything
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby mary,queen of everything » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:31 am

BTW sweltered ever heard of dual citizenship, best of both worlds
MQOE
mary,queen of everything
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Annie » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:10 am

America does not recognize dual citizenship any more!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby mary,queen of everything » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:16 am

yes they do annie, see US dept of state. Just had a friend do dual US/ swiss
MQOE
mary,queen of everything
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Annie » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:22 am

US only recognizes dual citizenship if a child of a US citizen was born overseas!!!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby mary,queen of everything » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:07 am

keep reading annie. dual nationality legal and many scot/us citizens out there.
also check the brit embassy sites.
I was a green card carrying alien until recently, wanted to join the peace corp, went to immigration and asked about citizenship, Piece of cake, talked to british embassy as I was not willing to give up my british citizenship. from both Govts no problem, legal and do-able.
Salty didnt join the peace corps came down with a chronic disease that prevented that endevour. Gotta go watch eureka
MQOE
mary,queen of everything
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Hmmm ...

Postby Annie » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:12 am

Funny! When I was renewing all my "appropriate paperwork," I was told that it was not recognized by the US but when one was a "British" citizen, then one was always a British citizen. Also, whilst reciting the citizenship oath, it says that you will forsake all others (countries)!

Will check it out again, but just going on what I have encountered recently!

:? :? :? :?
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby mary,queen of everything » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:18 am

Brit embassy told me you can only give up brit citizenship by going in front of the crown or one of there crown appointed embassy dudes. I carry two passports. One EU one US Never had a problem at airports that do international travel. Usually check in with both passports they dont blink an eye and I travel frequently.
MQOE
mary,queen of everything
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

This is what I found!!

Postby Annie » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:32 am

Dual Nationality

The concept of dual nationality means that a person is a citizen of two countries at the same time. Each country has its own citizenship laws based on its own policy. Persons may have dual nationality by automatic operation of different laws rather than by choice. For example, a child born in a foreign country to U.S. citizen parents may be both a U.S. citizen and a citizen of the country of birth.

A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

Intent can be shown by the person's statements or conduct. Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. citizens may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist citizens abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance. The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause.

However, dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country. They are required to obey the laws of both countries. Either country has the right to enforce its laws, particularly if the person later travels there. Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport does not endanger U.S. citizenship. Most countries permit a person to renounce or otherwise lose citizenship.

Information on losing foreign citizenship can be obtained from the foreign country's embassy and consulates in the United States. Americans can renounce U.S. citizenship in the proper form at U.S. embassies and consulates abroad. [/size]

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

Darn that woman at the Immigration Office! That is why I renewed my Alien Status rather than apply for citizenship!

:evil:
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Current Affairs