US policies - Guantanamo and the military

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Postby dgraves » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:39 pm

Bobbie En Tejas wrote:I usually put my hand over my dates' hearts. Make sure they're still beating. :wink:

If a person feels as you do, then by all means stand and be proud. I just am not comfortable with it, don't think it is a measure of a person's patriotism.

:lol: To each his own...that's what this country is all about. You have the right to verbally express your feelings as you will. I've just expressed mine :wink:
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:23 pm

You put a lot of effort into deleting all your posts for someone who is apathetic, general! :cry:
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Christian » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:44 pm

Well, here in Nl, there is a terrorism trail underway. A guy who made a farewell video, and was planning attacks on Dutch targets(politicians) is standing trail for that. He is complaining about the fact that he can't see his girlfriend, and that the regime is harsh. IMHO, for people who want to destroy society like that, the regime can't be harsh enough!
~The Flying Dutchman~
Christian
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Good One!

Postby Annie » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:46 pm

You put a lot of effort into deleting all your posts for someone who is apathetic, general!

Thank you so very much for that!!!!!!!!!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Wee Toon Ajax » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:30 am

Christian wrote:Well, here in Nl, there is a terrorism trail underway. A guy who made a farewell video, and was planning attacks on Dutch targets(politicians) is standing trail for that. He is complaining about the fact that he can't see his girlfriend, and that the regime is harsh. IMHO, for people who want to destroy society like that, the regime can't be harsh enough!

Assume you are talking about the Samir A trial.

Can I actually ask you one simple quesion - has he beeen found guilty yet, and yet you presume he is already. As far as I know he has not yet been found guilty, therefore he should be entitled to the same conditions as other prisoners on remand awaiting trial which in the Netherlands includes visits from his girlfriend irrespective of what he is being charged with.

The whole point of living in a "civilised" society is that we have laws which apply to all irrespective of colour, creed etc. One of which is we are assumed innocent until proven guilty, which you are quite obviously not applying. Once we start being selective with the application of the law then we end up no better than the type of society which those who seek to destroy our way of life would wish to introduce.

Fine, if he is found guilty then be as harsh as they want to be, if that is possible in the joke of a penal system in the Netherlands. In fact, like most Western countries, the sentencing of those found guilty of crime is a complete joke with the criminal ending up sounding like the victim. Bollocks, don't commit the crime if you are not willing to do the time. What ever happened to the days of taking some responsibility for your own actions - nah might upset somebody if you do that.
If, after all, men cannot always make history have meaning, they can always act so that their own lives have one.

Camus
Wee Toon Ajax
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Christian » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:45 am

It is the Samir A trial. The guy has made an Iraq style farewell video, with a submachinegun at the wall. I think he is surely guilty then!

Penals in NL are said to be very soft indeed. Also, many things that are forbidden abroad, are legal here. When in prison in NL, you can even get your (uitkering) from the governement. IMHO, these people could better be doing work, like the chain gangs in the USA.
~The Flying Dutchman~
Christian
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Wee Toon Ajax » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:09 am

Christian wrote:It is the Samir A trial. The guy has made an Iraq style farewell video, with a submachinegun at the wall. I think he is surely guilty then!

Penals in NL are said to be very soft indeed. Also, many things that are forbidden abroad, are legal here. When in prison in NL, you can even get your (uitkering) from the governement. IMHO, these people could better be doing work, like the chain gangs in the USA.

That is not the point - under the Dutch system he is innocent until found guilty irrespective of whether he has made a video or not. Whether you think he is guilty is irrelevant. It is one of the cornerstones of the legal system here - that everybody is given a fair trial. As I stated in my previous post, once we start going down the route of condemning people before they have received this trial, then our society is no better than that which those who wish to destory our way of life would replece it with.

Please reread your original point. Your original point was that he was denied the right to see his girlfriend during his trial, a right that every other detainee to be tried is given. What is so different in this case - nothing as far as I can see. He is somebody who is to be tried under the Dutch legal system and therefore under the law should have the exact same rights as every other detainee irrespective of what his intended crime was.
If, after all, men cannot always make history have meaning, they can always act so that their own lives have one.

Camus
Wee Toon Ajax
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Christian » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:27 am

He is already guilty of owning the weapon, which is illegal under Dutch law.
~The Flying Dutchman~
Christian
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Wee Toon Ajax » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:57 am

Christian wrote:He is already guilty of owning the weapon, which is illegal under Dutch law.

You really dont get it do you - please reread your first post which is the one I was answering to. Whether he is guilty or not is actually irrelevant - your whole first point was about his rights to see his girlfriend during his trial. This is a right which has been denied him.

And even above you are incorrect - last week on 13th there was a huge blow to the prosecution case in that not one shred of forensic evidence could be found to prove that the guns actually belonged to him - you know things like DNA etc that would prove this.

Camus
Wee Toon Ajax
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Christian » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:12 pm

Oke, he deserves a fair trial. If he's found guilty, let's get harsh on him. I do hope for the OM that they can get him behind bars, not for the man himself, but they have never been able to win a terrorism trial. The OM will surely not look good if they are wrong this time!
~The Flying Dutchman~
Christian
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Sweltered » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:39 am

I thought it was only Americans that honored the sevice men and women, I thought the British Soldiers were spat on and reviled?

Well done Fife!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scot ... 071776.stm
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby big tony » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:53 pm

is that fyffe robinson or is that bananas?
big tony
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:25 pm

Sweltered wrote:I thought it was only Americans that honored the sevice men and women, I thought the British Soldiers were spat on and reviled?

I don't think so. From all the people I know that have expressed an opinion, they support our troops for going where they're ordered, but don't necessarily agree with the people giving the orders.
Beachcomber
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby big tony » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:27 pm

i'm thinkin of opening up a branch of the BADA BING! in basra to offer protection to british journalists from those good old boys
big tony
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:38 pm

big tony wrote:i'm thinkin of opening up a branch of the BADA BING! in basra to offer protection to british journalists from those good old boys

As I suspected.. welcome back.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs