Celtic Highway

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Postby Ship called Dignity » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:01 pm

A Horse called Juan Face wrote:
ionnsaigh wrote:
A Horse called Juan Face wrote:
Wee Toon Ajax wrote:ionnsaigh

You say that you and your husband regularly visit the town - may I ask how often regularly is and when these visits began.

is ionnsaigh a woman?
i thought it was a man
although i still thought his partners name was bob

Horse, why don't you come into the public bar at the White Hart tomorrow night Bob would love tae meet you

ok ill come in, and ill stand there
and ull stand there
cos neither of us knows who the other is
good plan!

Erm..., quite easy to spot you, you are a horse! :wink:
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Hoopoe » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:08 pm

This is what you need: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3599191.stm

Maybe if we all chip-in we can raise enough to buy it?
Hoopoe
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:20 pm

Seems that ol' dono is contrary no matter what is posted.

I don't even live in Campbeltown, but hearing it called a hub of economic deprivation even made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. How patronizing.

ionnsaigh wrote: I'm a working class Scot who has stayed in this, my country for 54 years - who believes in a fair and just society, I believe I have the right to comment on any part of this dear country and the third of it's people who live in abject poverty- do you have a problem with that? or is that too condescending for you and the good people of the toon.

Have you ever seen abject poverty dono? If so, I doubt seriously you would say that one-third of the people of Scotland live in it. Abject means "of the most contemptible kind," "most unfortunate or miserable," "showing utter resignation and hopelessness." Come on. You aren't serious...
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby SmithD » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:22 pm

I wouldn't say Campbeltown is of Economic deprivation. I think over the last few years that it has gained through Vestas, The Call Centre, Aqualibrium, plus many other various things.

Every town/city has black spots, but Campbeltown is working very hard to solve these and it is begining to prosper. I don't see how visiting 5 or 6 times a year you can decide how Campbetlowns economy is running without living here and seeing whats happening around.

But I don't want to get in to anything political as some of these threads do, but I feel that living in Campbeltown with my family and both of us working, my husband for a local employer - I felt as though I should stick up for where we live.
SmithD
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby ionnsaigh » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:16 pm

[q
ok ill come in, and ill stand there
and ull stand there
cos neither of us knows who the other is
good plan![/quote]

You will be the one with the long face :lol:
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Celtic Highway

Postby Hellfreeze » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:43 pm

ionnsaigh wrote:Both my partner and I visit Kintyre regularly. We enjoy the peace and tranquillity of your place, your People, and your Culture. On entering Campbeltown it is with mixed emotions, seeing the signs of Economic deprivation that litter the Town.
This is clearly partly due to Political neglect- What is the political persuasion of your elected representatives ?

On the one hand the very remoteness of Kintyre brings limited income, through tourism. However when one considers the amount of wealth extracted from your land, by a highly skilled workforce - to the meagre income that comes through tourism then I'm afraid there is no comparison. There is also a danger of deskilling this workforce, to a level that requires the natives to dress up, act the part - and in reality become no more than glorified Uncle Tom's.

Kintyre could be the central hub of a Celtic highway stretching between Ayrshire- Arran- Kintyre- Ireland. This could be achieved by building Two road tunnels employing in the first instance local skilled labour. However I can't imagine the powers that be ever agreeing funding for such a proposal- unless a concerted campaign was undertaken by the Council Tax payers of Kintyre.

WHAT THE FUNK
Hellfreeze
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

WeetoonAjax

Postby Sweltered » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:21 pm

Well said !
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:03 pm

Still do'no what's going on but do know there is NO poverty in Campbeltown.....abject or otherwise.
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Current Affairs