Scottish or not Scottish

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Re: Scottish or not Scottish

Postby petewick » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:03 pm

GG, Johnny Beatties character was semi written out a while back........Take the High Road was better....
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby lochend » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:45 pm

Jay ,was the word "hog" a freudian slip? :lol: :lol:
lochend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jaywalker » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:29 am

:D .
No, but it will be the next time I use a similar line.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you!
jaywalker
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Govangirl » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:18 pm

Thanks Petewick, I do remember Take the High Road because one of my teachers at school was an actress in it. Her name was Mrs Riggans and I think she was called Effie. I know my late mum loved the programme. I've heard they're making a new series of Still Game, now that is great news and very, very Scottish!!!!
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Hume » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:47 pm

Govangirl wrote:Thanks Petewick, I do remember Take the High Road because one of my teachers at school was an actress in it. Her name was Mrs Riggans and I think she was called Effie.

I was listening to one of the football 'phone ins' in the car recently, it must have been immediately after a game in the Europa League for Celtic and a caller came on berating one of Celtic's defenders. He exclaimed to the host "Efe Ambrose.....yid be better way Effie fae Take the High Road."

I gather Mr Ambrose is not the most popular player at Parkhead. :lol:
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby EMDEE » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:57 am

Govangirl wrote:Thanks Petewick, I do remember Take the High Road because one of my teachers at school was an actress in it. Her name was Mrs Riggans and I think she was called Effie. I know my late mum loved the programme. I've heard they're making a new series of Still Game, now that is great news and very, very Scottish!!!!

I like the humour in Still Game very much, but I would say that it is very "Glasgow" rather than "Scottish". Glasgow is a hotbed of Scottish humour going back to Will Fyffe, through to Rikki Fulton, Billy Connolly, Kevin Bridges, to name a few, and they are all excellent, but I feel that Glasgow being by far our largest city, it overshadows the rest of the country. There is also excellent humour in the Highland areas, (one of Scotland's greatest comedians is Norman MacLean), and there is the Doric humour, exemplified by Scotland the What.

GG I wouldn't expect you to disagree with this, and I am just saying that I wouldn't like Still Game to stereotype Scotland, albeit it is an excellent concept. (I must say that the stage show they did (and was a sell out)) which was released on DVD was crap)

In essence, what I am saying is that there is no denying that Still Game is Scottish, but we need to bear in mind that there is a wider Scotland and the humour is more variegated than is portrayed in Still Game, and life in Scotland is better that that portrayed in River City, but other areas of Scotland do not get a platform.

Incidentally, I think the full name of the character your teacher played was Effie MacInnes.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:40 am

And of course from Greenock ,the one the only, the comedian's comedian Chic Murray.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:31 pm

Bill, ( lol ) I could not resist sticking my nose in. " I knew I should off been a Policeman ". To your other question , it's called a gut feeling.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:13 pm

Chic Murray and Maidie, one of my favourite comedy acts from days gone by.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby gray_marian » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:31 am

Numberplease, Only remember Chic solo. Also liked Lex Mclean around the same era I think? Vaguely remember my mum taking me to sit in the audience of a show called "The One O' Clock Gang" Francie & Josie though were my favourites along with Dorothy Paul. Both their stage shows were hilarious :D

GG, Believe wee Effie died around 2013 after suffering a stroke the year before. Was she in "High Living" late 60's early 70's I ?
gray_marian
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby gray_marian » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:32 am

Numberplease, Only remember Chic solo, very droll :D Also liked Lex Mclean around the same era I think? Vaguely remember my mum taking me to sit in the audience of a show called "The One O' Clock Gang" Francie & Josie though were my favourites along with Dorothy Paul. Both their stage shows were hilarious :D Here's a wee flavour:Francie and Josie - classic comedy -

FRANCIE&JOSIE ( are ye dancing ) - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k45uSUi8AI0YouTube

Francie and Josie - classic comedy - YouTube
Video for francie and josie▶ 5:12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vK65dPpbVs

GG, Believe wee Effie died around 2013 after suffering a stroke the year before. Was she in "High Living" late 60's early 70's?
Last edited by gray_marian on Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
gray_marian
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby numberplease » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:34 am

Marian, I believe that Maidie was Chic`s wife, she was so tiny and he was so tall, they were a very funny act. Surely there`s more than me remembers them as a double act?
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby gray_marian » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:01 am

I read his autobiography years ago Numberplease, think it was Maidie who wrote it, if memory serves me correct they had divorced hence the solo act. Only remember him from TV, very funny
gray_marian
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:31 am

When we were in Campbeltown in November my wife bought me a book from a second hand shop."The Best Way to Walk,The Chic Murray Story"written by Andrew Yule.I have not started to read it yet but the foreword does mention Maidie Dickson and their stormy"Can`t live with you,can`t live without you" marriage.They toured Scotland as "The Tall Droll with the Small Doll".
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby gray_marian » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:21 pm

That's the one Roger, my mistake, think she must have had a strong input for me to remember her. Doubt I still have it, probably passed it onto my mum, then who knows :)
gray_marian
Active Poster
Active Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs