Independence

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Re: Independence

Postby Govangirl » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:42 pm

:@ Baz, a currency union already exists because we are a UNION!!!!!! Scotland are voting whether or not they want to continue that union!!!!!!! :@
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby baz » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:00 pm

Govangirl wrote::@ Baz, a currency union already exists because we are a UNION!!!!!! Scotland are voting whether or not they want to continue that union!!!!!!! :@

Currently, there is political, social & fiscal union.
Scotland could be Independent and maintain a fiscal union.
Or not.
Ideally, Scotland should maintain it's own currency, and this may
happen sooner or later.
It is not for Westminster alone, to determine the conditions
of the break-up of that which already exists.

Besides, should the Scottish people resoundingly vote YES, a fiscal
arrangement will be offered to the mutual benefit of all parties concerned.
Until such time as a negation of the fiscal union is passed through Westminster
and written into Law, the body politic is simply making idle threats in order
to intimidate and coerce the electorate.
baz
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby bill » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:04 pm

For those who idolise the Govan Legend that is Sir Alex ,take note ..............

"The former manager of Manchester United is against independence and has donated to the Better Together campaign."

The actor Brian Cox was in Corby last week to ask the opinion of members of the Scottish community.As I was in sunny Tenerife I missed my chance to say I am undecided.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:34 pm

bill wrote:For those who idolise the Govan Legend that is Sir Alex ,take note ..............

"The former manager of Manchester United is against independence and has donated to the Better Together campaign.".

Well, I for one idolise the Govan Legend. I am very happy to read the above. Gaun yersel, Sir Alex!!!! :D
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby baz » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:36 pm

bill wrote:For those who idolise the Govan Legend that is Sir Alex ,take note ..............
"The former manager of Manchester United is against independence and has donated to the Better Together campaign

Ah, the cult of celebrity.
This has sunk to an unprecedented low level.

The point of Independece is self-determination.
Or.
You could just let someone else tell you what to think, do and vote.
Just as it has been for 300 years :roll:
baz
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby bill » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:51 pm

baz wrote:You could just let someone else tell you what to think, do and vote.

I'll ask the wife then. Why change 44 years of marriage. :roll:
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:06 am

When she's finished telling you what to do then can you ask her to let me know?

baz wrote:
The point of Independece is self-determination.
Or.
You could just let someone else tell you what to think, do and vote.
Just as it has been for 300 years :roll:

Or.
You could just continue churning out old, worn-out cliches :roll:
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby baz » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:45 am

Govangirl wrote:You could just continue churning out old, worn-out cliches :roll:

There is good reason for clichés, they reflect fundamental truths. :)

I am curious though, as to the purpose of starting this thread,
other than rolling out the usual rhetoric of the pro-Unionists,
and failing to discuss anything pertinent to the topic.
baz
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby tarmmaker » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:42 am

As I said earlier, the majority aren't bothered to argue as they are happy with the status quo. If the Yes vote want to argue, let them, but why they expect the rest of us to get involved in something we don't want is beyond me.
Whatever gets you thru the night. J Lennon.
tarmmaker
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Shona » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:33 am

Salmond's Plan A was for an Independent Scotland to use the euro as it's currency. However, the instability in the euro zone, fate of countries like Ireland and Greece and the unpopularity of the euro in Scotland killed off Plan A. So here we are with Plan B - a currency union with the rest of the UK. In other words, a fiscal and banking union. No way would Salmond be permitted to raise taxes, borrow, spend and run up debt as he pleases as it would affect the stability of the currency, exchange rates, etc. The Bank of England would be in charge.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Hume » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:20 pm

Govangirl wrote:......I was referring to the two issues in the news this week which have always imho been unexplored properly: the right to EU membership and currency union. Personally, I think there are bigger issues myself but I certainly don't believe that Osborne's speech was 'insulting and demeaning' as Salmond claims. These are issues that need discussing.

Govangirl, these are no more than and attempt to scare people in to voting No and its no surprise the media has reported it in such a way to favour the No campaign.

Thankfully you would also be in the minority here then as more people are either offended or simply don't believe the chancellor as is indicated by the shift to Yes.

Govangirl wrote:
I think two of Salmond's key policies – a currency union and automatic membership of the EU - have been blown out the water and his childish response when this has been pointed out is scary. It's like he refuses to engage on the really serious issues - is that not worrying?

I think that's pretty naïve then if you think they have been blown out the water. Scotland is in the EU now and the way will be paved for it to continue so following a Yes vote.

As a resident of England you should be very worried about the chancellor ruling out a currency union as it is Sterling itself that would suffer on the basis a currency is only as strong as the assets (and liabilities) that back it up.

The reality is, post Yes, both parties will negotiate what is best for the parts they represent and if that happens to the a currency union then it will happen.

Edit: I think you'll also find its David Cameron who refuses to debate.
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Hume » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:36 pm

Shona wrote:Salmond's Plan A was for an Independent Scotland to use the euro as it's currency. However, the instability in the euro zone, fate of countries like Ireland and Greece and the unpopularity of the euro in Scotland killed off Plan A. So here we are with Plan B - a currency union with the rest of the UK. In other words, a fiscal and banking union. No way would Salmond be permitted to raise taxes, borrow, spend and run up debt as he pleases as it would affect the stability of the currency, exchange rates, etc. The Bank of England would be in charge.

I agree with you on the Euro Shona, there are just far too many countries using it and too much divergence in those individual economies. I wish I could dig out an essay I wrote around 1999 - I have a feeling I might have predicted the Euro crisis a decade before it happened. I recall arguing it would not work as the ECB would find it impossible to set Monetary Policy, which would be beneficial to the entire zone on the basis the BoE was unable to set an interest rate that was often not beneficial to both London and Liverpool.

That is probably why I would like to see Scotland move to our own currency in the second or third term after Independence.

Your other point assumes Alex Salmond will be the FM/PM of Scotland, which of course he might not be. Besides, we can't really do much of those things at present, so it seems a strange point to argue for No on.

No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Hume » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:42 pm

lochend wrote:My only links to Scotland are my Father who was a son of the Wee Toon, so I would not have the impudence to try to sway my Scottish friends on how to vote in the forthgcoming election but I must admit that the thought of being abandoned to a permanent Torey Government south of the border terrifies me! They will almost certainly get the boot at the next election but if you lot give it the swerve they will be in power down here forever! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

lochend, Scotland becoming independent does not really influence that though. You, in the north east on England, largely get the government that England votes for. Only twice in the semi recent past, post WW2 anyway, have the MPs elected in Scotland impacted on the formation of a WM government. Think that was in 1964 and 1974. Voting Labour in Scotland does not prevent Tory governments.

Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby baz » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:46 pm

tarmmaker wrote:As I said earlier, the majority aren't bothered to argue as they are happy with the status quo.

A rather bold and sweeping statement.
The overwhelming "majority" voted for the SNP.
Clearly, they were not "happy with the status quo".
Is it really necessary to "argue", and not discuss?

Shona wrote:Salmond's Plan A .....
Salmond be permitted .....

Independence is not about Alex Salmond, he is simply the current leader of the SNP.
Although it is clear he is a highly adept politician, this is portrayed across the media
as a means by which to demonise the man, and the Independence campaign.
We should hope all future First Ministers are as adept.
Independence is more than a personality contest.

A Yes vote is for Independence .... not Alex Salmond, and not the SNP

Shona wrote:The Bank of England would be in charge.

As indeed, it is currently.
An unelected, non-representative, nationally owned (yet not controlled) institution, which has
a monopoly in the manipulation of the national currency, and has independent control of the country's
monetary policy, at the dictate of The Court of Directors who serve the private banking system,
as they have since the Bank was established.
It is the Banker's Bank.
baz
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby tarmmaker » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:34 pm

So stuff it under the mattress.
Whatever gets you thru the night. J Lennon.
tarmmaker
Active Poster
Active Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs