Marine or murderer?

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Marine or murderer?

Postby four eyes » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:46 pm

I know where i stand,firmly on the side of this Marine.I feel deep same at this conviction,and no i don't give a toss for the Taliban footsoldier he nailed.Nor do i care for the inevitable bleating from the usual suspects Discuss!
four eyes
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: Marine or murderer?

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:14 pm

Some may say that it is a war zone and humanity rules do not apply as our soldiers are trained to kill in a war situation.Not sure myself yet.
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Shona » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:20 pm

I grew up in Forces bases around the UK and abroad and have great sympathy and understanding about what our Armed Forces go through. While they are trained for conflict, their training also includes learning about the Geneva Convention and international law regarding the humanitarian treatment of others in conflict. Any reading of the full transcripts of the exchanges between the Marines reveals the killing was not done in the 'heat of battle'. The injured person was dragged out of view. They discussed ways of killing him - for example, that shooting in the head would be too obvious. The Marine responsible clearly knew exactly what he had done given his comment about breaking the Geneva Convention. He was found guilty of murder by fellow military personnel - people who would have a deep insight into the dangers faced by these Marines. Our Armed Forces are held in high regard around the world for the way the injured and prisoners are treated - in line with all the protocols of the Convention and the law. He has tarnished that reputation. He has provided rich propaganda for extremists and increased the risk of attack on others serving in tough conflict zones.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby gray_marian » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:47 pm

Don't have time now for debate at present but I'm not sitting on the fence. The Marine's only "Sin" was getting caught......
gray_marian
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:12 pm

With you on that one.How much of this went on before the advent of camera phones?
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:23 am

Shona, again I am with you. I feel nothing for the man he killed but the marine's actions were wrong. However, due to the very unique pressures of war and some of the devastating things these insurgents did to his fellow soldiers is it not possible to consider he was suffering from post-traumatic issues? I believe the sentence was too long and should have been half of that. I am also more concerned that he lost his fight to remain anonymous on behalf of his family's safety. :(
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby gizmo » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:30 pm

Much as though it pains me, I agree with Shona, I think the Sergeant let the Marines and British forces down by his actions. If he was putting a mortally wounded man out of his misery, although still technically wrong, I would have thought otherwise but he was callous and calculating, "now shuffle off this mortal coil, etc".. Post traumatic stress disorder seems to be a handy diagnosis/exscuse for just about everything, not sure about 10 years being the right term but I cant see why he should be afforded anonimity either, murder is murder.
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby four eyes » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:31 pm

gizmo wrote:Much as though it pains me, I agree with Shona, I think the Sergeant let the Marines and British forces down by his actions. If he was putting a mortally wounded man out of his misery, although still technically wrong, I would have thought otherwise but he was callous and calculating, "now shuffle off this mortal coil, etc".. Post traumatic stress disorder seems to be a handy diagnosis/exscuse for just about everything, not sure about 10 years being the right term but I cant see why he should be afforded anonimity either, murder is murder.

perhaps if he was one of your family, you might be thinking differently. Let's see, two nutters on trial in London at the moment for the murder of a soldier, use your imagination please!
four eyes
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Shona » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:10 pm

Family members who are currently serving (and those that have served) totally condemn what the Marine did.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to Current Affairs