Philippines

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Philippines

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:25 pm

Does anyone else feel less than charitable towards a country that eats dogs? Please discuss.
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 3121
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 10:39 am


Re: Philippines

Postby MPR » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:38 pm

Im less and less charitable with countries that know a disaster might be on the way and fail to prepare for it
MPR
Active Poster
Active Poster
 
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 1:03 pm


Re: Philippines

Postby odds » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:58 pm

In todays economic climate I would be against giving any form of monetary aid to other countries, especially when there are people in this country struggling so much. If they need help then fine, supply them with manpower to assist in rebuilding etc.

Pete.
User avatar
odds
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:52 am
Location: Manchester


Re: Philippines

Postby Hume » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:29 am

Odds, if you disagree with giving aid that's fine but don't use the struggle of people in the UK as a reason. If there was not an ever increasing gap between the well off and less well off there would be a lot less people struggling and room for giving aid at the same time.
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
User avatar
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:44 pm
Location: Cambuslang


Re: Philippines

Postby odds » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:45 am

Hume wrote:Odds, if you disagree with giving aid that's fine but don't use the struggle of people in the UK as a reason.

It's a good enough reason for me.

Hume wrote:If there was not an ever increasing gap between the well off and less well off there would be a lot less people struggling and room for giving aid at the same time.

So you're saying if there weren't so many people struggling financially it would be alright to give aid then.
Hmm, I'm sure someone has said that lately ........ I wonder where I read that recently. :wink:

Found it !!
Odds wrote:especially when there are people in this country struggling so much.


Pete.
User avatar
odds
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:52 am
Location: Manchester


Re: Philippines

Postby Hume » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:18 am

odds, I've constructed a response twice now and lost it when hitting submit - will do it later.
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
User avatar
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:44 pm
Location: Cambuslang


Re: Philippines

Postby Hume » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:37 pm

odds wrote:So you're saying if there weren't so many people struggling financially it would be alright to give aid then.


No, that's not what I was saying. I don’t believe the UK’s failings on equality should be used as a reason not to give aid. If there was a fairer distribution of wealth in the UK then there could be a situation where there are a lot less people struggling AND give aid at the same time. I was making the point that if there was not such an increasing gap between the wealthy and less well off then there would be no need for you to use a phrase, relative to the giving of aid, like
odds wrote:especially when there are people in this country struggling so much.


However, I think I am right in saying you disagree with giving aid no matter whether people in the UK are struggling or not?
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
User avatar
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:44 pm
Location: Cambuslang


Re: Philippines

Postby gray_marian » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:50 pm

I don't have an issue with the Government sending money to where it's needed in times of a disaster but I disagree with it going to the likes of India, Africa etc whose Governments then appear to misuse it. Would much prefer if there was a cap on said donations to these countries in particular.
gray_marian
Active Poster
Active Poster
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:13 am


Re: Philippines

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:19 pm

Spot on!
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 3121
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 10:39 am


Re: Philippines

Postby lochend » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:43 pm

Saw an interesting article, this am, about Expat. Phillipino's working in New Zealand.They have organised a collection to send money home to help their suffering countrymen.It appears they are insisting that the money be chanelled through the world wide aid agencies rather than those located in the Phillipines.They are more aware than perhaps we are, of the graft and corruption endemic in their own country and want as much money as possible to get to the people in need.This is the suspicion I have for most of the domestic charities as well.After the expensive and distressing adverts on the television and the administrators fat salaries have been accounted for,how many pence in the donated pound actually gets to where it could do some good? Call me cynical!
User avatar
lochend
Active Poster
Active Poster
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:25 pm
Location: Wirral


Re: Philippines

Postby katya » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:50 pm

This is quite an interesting debate - and I can see both sides of it. However, I have just got back from a holiday in Rio De Janeiro and saw a man in the street across from the biggest favela wearing a bin bag for a top and a cloth sack for pants (he was not begging btw). I also witnessed a man having a heart attack in the street, and being revived by a bystander in the time it would have taken for him to be treated by an ambulance in this country. I can't imagine the amount of time it takes for the emergency services to get through, if the flashing lights and sirens come behind most drivers, they are totally ignored. On the whole, I think we are extremely fortunate.
katya
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 11:09 am


Re: Philippines

Postby Bertie » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:12 pm

Does anyone else feel less than charitable towards a country that eats dogs?


A novel approach to aid distribution. Before we help you please tell me what you had for dinner :?

Im less and less charitable with countries that know a disaster might be on the way and fail to prepare for it


I'm interested to hear your suggestions on what preparations this third world country could have made to prepare for the highest winds ever recorded :?
User avatar
Bertie
Happy Camper
Happy Camper
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:22 pm
Location: Campbeltown


Re: Philippines

Postby gray_marian » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:10 pm

Does anyone think that the Vatican should send a donation?
gray_marian
Active Poster
Active Poster
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:13 am


Re: Philippines

Postby bill » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:00 pm

gray_marian wrote:Does anyone think that the Vatican should send a donation?


What makes you think that they haven't ? A lot of good is done without the need of publicity.


I think the original question of this thread is too idiotic to be deserving of a reply.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
User avatar
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 4121
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: Bonnie Corby


Re: Philippines

Postby gray_marian » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:50 pm

For anyone who is interested....and I am, all I could find re donation from the Vatican to the Phillipines is 3 million euros. That was 10 days ago, so I stand to be corrected on this. UK Government around £53million, Japan £31m, Australia £17m, U.S. £12.4m, European Com. £6.8m, U.A.E. £6.2m, South Korea £3.1m and China £1.2m Obviously this does not cover ongoing donations from joe public on a private basis or from Church collections from all denominations around the world.
Does anyone have a view on this?
gray_marian
Active Poster
Active Poster
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:13 am



Return to Current Affairs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests