Someone should say it

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Someone should say it

Postby Martin » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:45 am

Welcome to the world, wee boy. May his life be a long and happy one.
Now let's not mess around with names, let's have no more of this "Wills" rubbish, call this one Billy and get it over with. Ooops !
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Someone should say it

Postby gray_marian » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:19 am

Hear Hear,.........................apart from Billy!! :D
gray_marian
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Martin » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:00 am

I wanted him called Billy after my maternal grandfather, nothing more, nothing less. I'm told he was always known as Billy and quite a character from what I remember being told. I wish I could have met him.
Just to prove that I'm not lying (which I'm not accusing you of accusing me of doing)....

Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby gray_marian » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:05 pm

Phew, thank you Martin, I was brought up well clear of those with that mode of thinking. Unfortunately these provincial minds are still here in this day and age. Whatever their religion......and I find that rather pathetic and sad.
gray_marian
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Martin » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:41 pm

You wouldn’t have liked William at all. I’m told he wore his sash to the pub on a Friday night and woe betide anyone who took offence, he carried a lead tipped cosh in his jacket. By day he was something big in the cotton trade, by night he was a bit of a lad, so I was told. Didn’t give a monkey’s for what anyone else thought, Hmmmmm, reminds me of someone, just can’t think who. Blood will out.
I would still liked to have met him, I like characters.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby odds » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:48 pm

Martin wrote:Welcome to the world, wee boy. May his life be a long and happy one.
Now let's not mess around with names

Spencer would make a nice name for a boy ........... Ooops maybe not :)

Pete.
odds
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Martin » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:01 pm

How about Zebadiah ? If it had been a girl they could have called it Ermintrude and changed the family crest to the Magic Roundabout.
If they were to call it Spencer after it's grandmother they might as well go the whole hog and call it Rent Boy. Sorry, I didn't like that Spencer woman.
Don't forget we haven't yet seen if it's come out with ginger hair, now that would be interesting.
I'll shut up now.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby gray_marian » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:50 pm

Re Spencer/ Rent Boy, perhaps "Bolter" might be more appropriate. :(

I too enjoy characters, met quite a few over the years, though always felt sorry for some of their long suffering wives.... Have several stories but not for the forum! :D

Anyway back to the original thread, best wishes to the new baby and all concerned.
gray_marian
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Martin » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:55 pm

Yes indeed, I think I got sidetracked. Let's raise a glass to the wee boy, in fact, let's raise several glasses (Hic!).
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby lochend » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:20 pm

[quote="Martin"]You wouldn’t have liked William at all. I’m told he wore his sash to the pub on a Friday night and woe betide anyone who took offence, he carried a lead tipped cosh in his jacket. By day he was something big in the cotton trade, by night he was a bit of a lad, so I was told. Didn’t give a monkey’s for what anyone else thought, Hmmmmm, reminds me of someone, just can’t think who. Blood will out.
I would still liked to have met him, I like characters
"By day he was something big in the cotton trade." A bobbin perhaps? :roll: :roll:
lochend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Martin » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:56 am

Lochend, thanks for that, it made me smile. From the only photograph I've seen of him it would have taken an awful lot of cotton to go around him. Billy was a big lad.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mzz pasico » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:36 am

When the birth was announced I was visiting a friend and immediately remarked George Louis!!! My friend asked why I thought this and my reply was George after the Queen's father and Louis after mountbatton !! Wished now I had put a wee bet on! Duh!!!!
Mzz pasico
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Martin » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:17 am

I’m disappointed. With Bill and Kath being the face of the modern monarchy I thought they might break the awful cycle of names we seem to be stuck with or at least used Richard, it’s been a while since we had one of those. Oh well, it could’ve been worse, at least they didn’t call it Wayne.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby lochend » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:37 pm

Martin wrote:I’m disappointed. With Bill and Kath being the face of the modern monarchy I thought they might break the awful cycle of names we seem to be stuck with or at least used Richard, it’s been a while since we had one of those. Oh well, it could’ve been worse, at least they didn’t call it Wayne.

Wayne Windsor..mmm...has a ring to it!
lochend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to Current Affairs