Double Standards

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Double Standards

Postby odds » Fri May 31, 2013 11:57 pm

I thought I would just run this by the good people on here for thier thoughts on this. Two stories regarding the supply and price of fuel to the consumer, one illegal, the other legal.

1: The Legal one http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22540650
2: The Illegal one http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22716007

Isn't it amazing that so many resources are put into protecting the income to the government that HMRC can put so much manpower into such an investigation to protect the tax revenue due to them, yet when it comes to protecting the actual consumer from being ripped off by major companies they have a half arsed department called 'Office of Fair Trading' that according to them, we are being charged a fair price for petrol.
Personally, if the investigation into fuel price fixing within the industry is proved I would like to think that heads would roll within the OFT, considering they reported nothing wrong with the pricing of fuel.
So what will happen then ? The people ripping the government off for a few hundred million and funding major gangs(they always say that) will be prosecuted and probably jailed.
The major Oil companies IF found guilty of price fixing and thus providing the government with probably Billions of pounds in illegal tax and duty income over the last decade will probably have no penalty what so ever ........ so what about the consumer and recourse for them ?
Did the OFT really know about it and were acting on the best interest of the people that pay them to investigate ?

That's enough of my thoughts, anyone else like to chip in ............. I'm off to get bank statements to prove when I have been charged over the odds for petrol over the last 10 years :)

Pete.
odds
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Return to Current Affairs