Decorum

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Re: Decorum

Postby lochend » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:31 am

"what was she supposed to do? Turn a blind eye and send a message to the whole world that Britain was weak and couldn't look after it's own citizens. "Giantredwood,unfortunately that is exactly what she did by scrapping the only Royal Naval vessell that had as it's primary purpose the flying of the British flag in the Falklands area.That is generally thought to have given the Argentinians the belief that Britain was diengaging from the islands.
lochend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Decorum

Postby petewick » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:00 am

gizmo wrote:Again, Fairs fair, The Belgrano was skirting the Total Excluion Zone, the direction could have been changed by the spin of a wheel and then 15 6" guns could have been brought to bear on Royal Navy ships. At the same time an aircraft carrier was skirting the Zone to the north, an obvious pincer movement, later admitted by the Argentinian Navy, It was also known that an Argentinian order had been given to attack the Task Force on May 1st.
Britain had informed the Argentinians a full week before it would attack any ship it concidered to be a danger to the Task Force, the Argentinan Navy themselves accept the loss of the Belgrano as legitmate. The main complaining about the sinking seems to be from folk with a political axe to grind on this side, largely people who were not too close to those guns. Eh!

The closest I ever was to a gun was the events passed down to me by survivors, widows and orphans of the first and second world war.............The Falklands was a glory trip by Thatcher, for Thatcher...........whilst poor troubled Ulster was in turmoil. I was in St Naziare in 1982, as was Prince Philip to commorate the 40th anniversary of the raid on St Nazaire U boat pens, whilst we were there, myself and others witnessed the loading of exocet missiles being loaded onto French ships due for the South Atlantic...............
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Current Affairs