Goodbye Thatcher

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Re: Goodbye Thatcher

Postby tarmmaker » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:03 am

I dislike arrogance, but Mrs Thatcher was head and shoulders above the rest when she rushed to the mic and announced that "We are a Grandmother".
Many hated her, but I have no feelings about her death. I'm just not bothered. I have already turned off the TV when she is mentioned. Of no interest. Just a dead old woman now.
Whatever gets you thru the night. J Lennon.
tarmmaker
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:06 am

Gizmo,there was no"Sharkery"involved.In the Yuppy era people bragged at how much things cost not how little.August 1989 I sold 40 brand new Range Rovers each making a net profit of £4000 each and no-one asked for discount.Happy days!
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:06 am

Del
Last edited by LANDROVER ROGER on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Martin » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:54 am

I see she's being incinerated, funny that, I thought the lady wasn't for burning.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Hume » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:27 pm

Come on, just let her Rust in Peace.
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby tarmmaker » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:31 pm

As she has spent the last few years living at the Ritz, there is no lack of funds. So will her family be footing the bill for the State Funeral, or do we all cough up? I wonder!
Whatever gets you thru the night. J Lennon.
tarmmaker
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Govangirl » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:25 pm

Wonder no more Tarmmaker, all the EIGHT MILLION POUNDS are coming out of our coffers for her funeral.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Martin » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:47 pm

So she'll be screwing us all one last time.

I would have thought a few old palettes, a gallon of petrol and a box of matches in Hyde Park would have sufficed.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby four eyes » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:50 pm

The funeral should be privatised and given to the cheapest bid.
four eyes
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby four eyes » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:56 pm

tarmmaker wrote:As she has spent the last few years living at the Ritz, there is no lack of funds. So will her family be footing the bill for the State Funeral, or do we all cough up? I wonder!

I believe it is owned by the Tax dodging Barclays brothers.They paid her bill.Perhaps something to do with the still missing £20,000,000 she never accounted for.
four eyes
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Martin » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:03 am

I remember back in the early 1980’s, I was living rough at the time and signing on. One really foul day I stood in the pouring rain at the tail end of a queue that went right around a very large dole office building and then doubled back on itself. When I finally got inside the building someone had scrawled on the wall….

I’m glad I am British
I’m glad I am free
But I wish I were a dog
And Thatcher was a tree.

I might have remained damp for the next few days but that bit of graffiti cheered me up no end.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:35 am

Del.
Last edited by LANDROVER ROGER on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:15 am

Deleted
Last edited by LANDROVER ROGER on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby weetoonplodder » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:33 am

Now before we start, im not saying that im a raving Thatcherite by any means of the imagination or Labour loony either and its all too easy for us to lambast the dead, but I think we need to look closer at the changes that happened under her premiership some good and some bad and the changes that have followed.

It wasn't Thatcher that was responsible for the mounting car industry and trade related strikes that were crippling the country before she came to power,
It wasn't Thatcher that was responsible for 10ft high piles of rubbish on the city streets causing rodent infestation problems in 1977 when we were supposed to be a proud united nation celebrating the Jubilee
It wasn't Thatcher that was responsible for the mounting piles of unburied corpses due to the grave diggers strikes in Liverpool, London and Manchester
It wasn't Thatcher that was responsible for the continuing striking of the countries train drivers and nursing staff, potentially putting lives at risk
It wasn't Thatcher that was responsible for all of us having to hurry home nearly every night for months and months and months to cook and wash before the lights went out due to the huge power shortages that we suffered

Oh what short memories we all have!

Yes she came to power and made changes that not all agreed with, but it is fair to say that before she did come to power we were the poor and sick man of Europe, a position that really we should not have been in considering that we as a united nation had solely stood up and defended the rest of the world for a long time form a Nazi tyrant and his American semi pro Nazi supporters (AKA Joseph Kennedy who wanted Britain to bow down to Germany) who were hell bent on world supremacy in one form or another, a battle that with the eventual help of others we ultimately won. The truth of the matter is that when Thatcher took over we were a country that even 34 years after the War had ended, was still trying to rebuild not just its own country, but other countries devastated by the war, while still paying off her own debts for keeping hundreds of millions around the world free from Nazism and other forms of dictatorship.

Thatcher did what she had to do to get the country moving, that all, yes there was the miners strike, but what had happened in the 70's was that they were holding the whole country to ransom and she could see they were trying it on again and she just wasn't having any of it, that's all, just imagine where we would have been if she had given in, we would have been cowing down to that balding heeded gingernuted B*****D Scargill and could easily have been becoming the next state of the communist USSR if he had had his way.

There was the Falklands War, and yes it probably was her finest hour, but not just her's it was Britains finest hour since 2nd Sept 1945, but ultimately it was her that made it happen, just remember she refused to bow down, not just to the Agrie Bargies but to Regan and that French twat Mitterrand, who else do u think would have threatened to park a nuclear weapon up the arse of Agrie Bargies if the Yanks and the Frogs didnt bugger of to where they came from.

The miners cant shout too much about the strikes and the closure of the pits, there is a lot of them out there that didn't do too bad out of it, a lot got their coalboard houses for less than what people were paying for their discounted council houses, they were being handed redundancy packages of £30-£50,000 in 1983 when the UK average wage was only £10-£12,000. Today some of them are back sitting in houses worth £200,000+, have found new well paid jobs in clean and healthy environments, they are still alive and kicking where if they had still been down the pit, would have been either deed by now or would have been pulling an oxygen bottle behind them

Then we have the Poll Tax, yes I totally agree she cocked up there, I myself even refused to pay that until the point where I was being very seriously threatened with a court summons for failure to pay and had debt recovery agents chasing me, She alienated most of Scotland and the North of England with that one, but surprisingly enough it couldn't have been that bad because the Conservatives did get back in for 4th term.

She gave a lot of us and our parents and grandparents the chance to get on the property ladder, a chance that a lot would never have had, she allowed us the chance to invest in large public companies that made a lot normal working class people a lot of money that they would never have had.

She was probably at least 50% responsible for the ending of the cold war, the fall of Communism and the taking down of the Berlin Wall with the other parties taking up the remaining 40 odd% of the responsibility between them, yes it probably would have eventually happened but it might have taken another 2 or 3 or 4 years before it happened, but she was the catalyst.

What have we had since she left, we have had 2 gulf wars, where as if she had been in power during the first one, it would only have ended when allied forced reached Baghdad and Saddam had been overthrown, not just stopped when they push Iraqi forces back over the border for them to come back and have another go 11 years later in a war that we were taken into illegally by a total self righteous B*****D who has continually lied about his involvement in a lot of things that happened to descent people, I wonder what the Kelly families views would be on the fact that if Thatcher had been in power during the first conflict, that there might never have been another and therefore no supposed WMD.

And anyway, what about that self righteous B*****D, what did he do for us with his 10 years in office, not a lot, he got us in to a war that's costing us £billions if not 100's of £billions of public money that could be spent here in the UK, he allowed that free-loading wife of his to influence him to sign us up for human rights bills that means we cant even throw foreign scum out of our own country, he gave up the reduced European rebate that Thatcher fought so hard to get, he allowed his successor and other eejit we had as a PM to sell of £billions of our gold reserves for peanuts, and when he wasn't allowing things like that to happen, he was either sucking up to that gung ho lying P***K Bush on the other side of the pond hoping to be the senator of Americas 51st and newest state (AKA Bitain) or trying to convince Europe that he should be the first president of the new united states of Europe. Every thing he did in office and has done since he left has been for nobodies benefit but his own, if there wasn't money in it for him and his wife then he wasn't interested in any of it for the rest of us.

I think its only fair to say that when did you ever see Dennis Thatcher in the limelight much or hear of him getting freebies, when did you ever hear of Norma Major getting freebies and to be fair to our other famous Scots PM, when did you ever here much of Sarah Brown getting freebies? The answer to that question is no u didn't or if they did it was very hush hush, but Blair and wife were as blatant as hell about it and continue to be so.

But to rap this whole thing up, no matter what any of us think about Margaret Thatcher, one thing is for sure, she will not be forgotten by any of us or the rest of the world for a long time, she was one of the most influential political figures the world has ever seen for of the last 100 years and with the exception of the Queen and Diana is probably the most prominent woman the world has ever seen in the last 100 years. I think we should be quite proud that we probably have probably the top 3 most prominent women the world has ever seen for the last 100 odd years from our little country, what other country can claim that?

Oh I forgot. yeah the yanks have got Oprah for a start, what has she done to change the world, not an F***ing!
weetoonplodder
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:44 am

Hmmm.Huffy buggers!
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs