Sir James Saville

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Re: Sir James Saville

Postby Martin » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:34 pm

Four Eyes. Are you just one of those sad people who gets indignant on behalf of folk who don't need you to get upset on their behalf ? Either way, you seem to have a big chip on your shoulder that you don't know how to deal with.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby WC1 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:06 pm

Pot and kettle?
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby four eyes » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:25 pm

Martin wrote:Four Eyes, Are you just one of those sad people who gets indignant on behalf of folk who don't need you to get upset on their behalf ? Either way, you seem to have a big chip on your shoulder that you don't know how to deal with.

yawn :roll:
four eyes
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Martin » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:38 pm

Oh well, never mind, I'm sure you may eventually deal with your demons without etc. I wish you good luck.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby four eyes » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:55 pm

Newsnight bottled it,but we all know who he is,welsh care home scandal anyone?

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 83994.html
four eyes
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby four eyes » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:54 am

mainstream media now attempting to open this can of worms up,but dont expect much as those in the firing line are rich and powerful.Notice this thread is attracting a lot of views,but not much comment except the usual negative name calling etc.Come on people open up,the story needs to see daylight.
four eyes
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby four eyes » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:51 pm

Martin wrote:I'm still waiting for an answer to my question.

I dont consider crimes against children and young woman as non significant.Misogynist beliefs are best left in the seventies,we have moved on.Some are still willing to be silent on these issues others are prepared to speak out.By their deeds shall you know them.Just because some are politicians or public figures,we should not remain complicit in the crimes they are committing. However much some may be shocked by this or even wish it was not occurring,it is and it is our duty to our children and woman to speak up and seek justice on their behalf.
four eyes
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Martin » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:55 pm

I'm still waiting for an answer to my question. Or, can I take it that you are one of those who gets indignant on behalf of others despite actually knowing anything about what you're getting indignant over ?
I can't wait to see who's going to make what out of all this and how much.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby odds » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:48 pm

four eyes wrote:I dont consider crimes against children and young woman as non significant..

I think everyone would agree with you on that point. What I find disturbing is the fact that all these people are claiming to be victims now that there is a chance of some kind of monetary compensation. Do rape victims get awarded thousands from their attackers, have any victims of the church employees been awarded huge payouts for the distress caused to them ?. I just find it rather odd that in this case victims could be awarded compensation some 30/40 years later, just what is the reasoning behind it ?
I have not read any reports about one single person being repeatedly abused over a lengthy period of time, therefore I find it hard to believe it when someone says "it ruined my life when he pinched my arse 40 years ago" ....... Bollox, that child had other disturbing issues that ruined their lives but what the hell, get my name down for a bit of compo !!

Pete
odds
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:17 am

When I mentioned money certain individuals were outraged at my comment.Come on,lets hear from you again.
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby odds » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:05 am

Just to add to my previous post about abuse, what about when I was at the Grammar school and was given the strap on numerous occasions, how does anyone know that the teacher was not getting some kind of sexual kick out of 'whipping' young boys ? I still have nightmares about that and I started taking cocaine because of it, I can't hold down a relationship for fear of being punished if I do wrong, I genuinely believe this stemmed from being 'strapped' at Campbeltown Grammar School in the 70's ..... Someone let me down back then, and now they should pay :)
I might just drop the council an email about that line, get your names down lads, we might be in for a nice little payout here :)

Pete.

PS. You are 100% correct in your first post LR, the problem is now the floodgates are open and there is nothing to disprove any claim.
odds
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby four eyes » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:27 pm

odds wrote:
four eyes wrote:I dont consider crimes against children and young woman as non significant..

I think everyone would agree with you on that point. What I find disturbing is the fact that all these people are claiming to be victims now that there is a chance of some kind of monetary compensation. Do rape victims get awarded thousands from their attackers, have any victims of the church employees been awarded huge payouts for the distress caused to them ?. I just find it rather odd that in this case victims could be awarded compensation some 30/40 years later, just what is the reasoning behind it ?
I have not read any reports about one single person being repeatedly abused over a lengthy period of time, therefore I find it hard to believe it when someone says "it ruined my life when he pinched my arse 40 years ago" ....... Bollox, that child had other disturbing issues that ruined their lives but what the hell, get my name down for a bit of compo !!

Pete

Untill the police finish their inquiries we dont know for certain the level of abuse.I dont think levels of compensation are as high as some seem to think,probably a few thousand if your lucky.I believe the church victims got more as some were subject to multiple abuse.The reasoning behind it would take longer than ive got to explain but there are numerous studys on the subject and books if you care to look.If your sister had been abused im sure you might have some empathy for the victims.
Is there something wrong with wishing to be compensated for being abused?If your car is damaged you want a payout so why not if your raped by Saville.
On the subject of the strap,yes they probably did,im traumatised by the crap education i got there more than the strapping.Can i claim for that?

They dont just give you the money you have to prove some sort of problem etc,having you bum pinched wont do it,most of them just want recognition and closure,
four eyes
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:33 pm

Strange then that your opening post on this thread was this:

four eyes wrote:Comments please! :lol:

It's quite sad to see this thread descend into comments about compensation.

odds wrote:I have not read any reports about one single person being repeatedly abused over a lengthy period of time

You're right, some of these girls must be devastated they were only raped once. I'm sure they must have been praying for it to be happen multiple times, so they could claim bigger compensation in 30 years time. :roll:

To belittle their treatment by comparing it to receiving corporal punishment at school........ Jesus wept!

As four eyes says, because you are entitled to compensation doesn't mean to say that many of the victims will actually claim it. And as he/she also pointed out, the value of these claims are generally a lot less than you might think. I'm inclined to believe they'd much rather it hadn't happened in the first place, than have a couple of thousand quid in the bank. But each to their own....

I think I'm going to stop reading this thread now :(
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:52 pm

Sheik Yir Erse wrote:It's quite sad to see this thread descend into comments about compensation.

Jeez, Sheik, thank you because sometimes I get to thinking I’m the only mad person out here.
It still seems some folk are still fundamentally missing the point. Those who are using this issue as an excuse to point score or take a swipe at victims who are speaking out now are contemptible. Obviously having another wee bash at insignificant issues is more important for some people than protecting children and punishing those who cover up for their abusers.

It’s about victims. I would imagine that for those that were abused as children, it means a permanent splitting in how they relate to the world from then on. From what I’ve read, Savile's victims felt stupid, disposable and as if they had only themselves to blame. I guess that was one of the reasons the victims didn’t speak out at the time – and don’t forget the silence of those who knew what was going on in the Fred West household…or the recent Rochdale case…or the Catholic Church….or I could go on…

That was the culture of the time and it is huge ignorance, imho, to belittle their experiences by turning this – repeatedly – into money-grabbing. It’s pathetic. I know for example that many indulge in benefit fraud but is that any reason to stop those that deserve it getting it? Whether some folk get money to which they’re not entitled just doesn’t concern me. What does – and what disgusts me - is this nonsense that we should shove aside the voices of the victims because they’re only out to make a quick buck. For me it is about listening to the realities of young kids’ lives now, as well as those of Savile's victims. We might learn something.

I can’t speak for experience but for those who are survivors of childhood sexual abuse, the recent stories in the media must have been very challenging. As for Martin, I have to say I’m surprised at your reaction. Yes, you may well have suffered worse but surely this pain is not hierarchical? You once posted about your experiences on this forum and I wept at what you as a young child suffered - yet I also had to ask why there was not one person who saw that suffering in you and did something about it.
And that’s why I just want to believe that these stories are going to contribute to a fundamental societal change for the better.
Or we could just keep harping on about what some folk might get in paper notes :roll:
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby four eyes » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:51 pm

Sheik Yir Erse wrote:

Strange then that your opening post on this thread was this:

four eyes wrote:Comments please! :lol:

It's quite sad to see this thread descend into comments about compensation.

odds wrote:I have not read any reports about one single person being repeatedly abused over a lengthy period of time

You're right, some of these girls must be devastated they were only raped once. I'm sure they must have been praying for it to be happen multiple times, so they could claim bigger compensation in 30 years time. :roll:

To belittle their treatment by comparing it to receiving corporal punishment at school........ Jesus wept!

As four eyes says, because you are entitled to compensation doesn't mean to say that many of the victims will actually claim it. And as he/she also pointed out, the value of these claims are generally a lot less than you might think. I'm inclined to believe they'd much rather it hadn't happened in the first place, than have a couple of thousand quid in the bank. But each to their own....

I think I'm going to stop reading this thread now :(

first of all thank you for your post, you seem to have missed the irony in my original post. It was titled Sir James Savile with a laughing face for a reason. The reason being I find it ironic that somebody of his ilk would ever be given a knighthood and lauded by many in the press and public.

Whilst his crimes may have only just become apparent to some of you, they have been known about for decades. This was what I was alluding to with my original title. It is regrettable that some posters have felt the need to use the issue of compensation as a cudgel with which to beat me . I have genuinely attempted to widen the discourse regarding saville and his associates behaviour, but have unfortunately been frustrated in my attempts.
As for myself I find it hard to reconcile some posters alleged points of view, when they have posted in other threads bemoaning their own treatment, or treatment they have seen meted out to others.The somewhat blatant disregard now being shown towards savilles victims beggars belief.

This whole thread was never about the issue of compensation, that was introduced by people posting it. My main concern was the issue surrounding child abusers and how society allows them to get away with it. Saville may be dead, but he was not acting alone. This is the issue I was alluding to, the perpetrators who are still at large.
four eyes
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs