Olympics

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Olympics

Postby Govangirl » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:58 am

I know there is a thread started on the Sports bit about the ceremony but thought I'd widen it. I LOVED the opening cermony! For one night, the cynic in me disappeared. Here was I expecting Cheryl Cole, tired comedians, One Direction, references to 1966 and a representation of dumbed-down Britain and what I got was a spectacular fusion of Blake, Shakespeare, Barrie, history, the coolest-ever Beckham, a monarch who showed at last some amazing humour, a hilarious Mr Bean, the NHS at its best (what with it being privatised right under our noses), lots of children, Mary Poppins, Bradley Wiggins, the Clash, Oldfield's bells, Sir Simon in trainers, Bowie, the Jam, the inventor of the worldwide web (yeah, you heard right, Americans!), poignant tributes to the war dead and the victims of 7/7 (a very moving Abide With Me that finally cracked me), future Olympians lighting the cauldron and then a flaming good singalong at the end with Macca (where they let him finish!). It was spectacular!!!!!!!!!!! I don't believe in the Honours system but that Danny Boyle should be handed a knighthood tomorrow.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Olympics

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:54 pm

BYE
Last edited by LANDROVER ROGER on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:31 pm

I totally disagree. He wasn't there for his singing - he was there because at 70, he's arguably the most famous musician on the planet, one of our greatest songwriters, a brilliant humanitarian, a BEATLE, an inspiration to many and a British LEGEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Crowth » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:37 pm

Govangirl wrote:I totally disagree. He wasn't there for his singing - he was there because at 70, he's arguably the most famous musician on the planet, one of our greatest songwriters, a brilliant humanitarian, a BEATLE, an inspiration to many and a British LEGEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You like him, don't you?
Remember, a penguin is for life not just for elevenses.
Crowth
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:44 pm

Actually, I do like him but that's all. I'm not a big fan, I wouldn't buy his new stuff, I don't very often listen to his old and I wouldn't go to his concerts. I just recognise the genius in the man, his contribution to modern culture and why he would be chosen to top the Olympic ceremony.
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:45 pm

BYE
Last edited by LANDROVER ROGER on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Crowth » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:51 pm

LANDROVER ROGER wrote:I think that I had better agree Govangirl.I don`t want to wake up with a horse`s head in my bed! :D No backbone.That`s my trouble.

I DO agree with GG, Roger, she sums up Mr McCartney very aptly and we share the same stance towards him.
Crowth
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:56 pm

BYE
Last edited by LANDROVER ROGER on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Crowth » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:26 pm

Spineless to a man! :lol:
Crowth
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby MPR » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:08 pm

I have some replacement spines..... 35 installed
MPR
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby EMDEE » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:33 am

I see that this thread has developed into a discussion about P McCartney. As this was a national event, and was not a celebration of Mr McCartney, I think the discussion is probably off-topic, so I won't mention him again as I don't wish to offend anybody. However, I'll continue now and probably offend a few folk.

About 45 minutes into the event I remarked with the catch-phrase from "Chewin the Fat" that they had "just taken this too far", as (to me) it began to get boring.

The bit at the beginning with the contributions from the four home countries including the Edinburgh school pupils singing "Flower of Scotland" was cringeworthy. It would have been an unforgettable experience for the children involved, and no criticism of them is intended, but the song really does our country no favours. I nearly threw the remote control through the TV screen on Saturday afternoon during the report on the previous night's events when the reporter described this truly dreadful song as being "Scotland's National Anthem". I have already expressed my opinions on this song on the forum, so anyone who has been around here for a while will know about my (highly subjective and personal) opinion of it. I appreciate that this song is liked by many Scottish people, but I am not one of them. Surely we must be able to do something more appropriate than this for a Scottish national anthem. (Think I'll need tae get the manuscript book oot)
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Isa » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:16 am

Like you Emdee I got bored very quickly and when I realised that the theme wasn't British but English I turned it off. I should maybe have given it more than 5 minutes but it was just too annoying.
Isa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby gizmo » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:06 pm

It is actually London's Olympic games. What did you want massed pipebands,free whisky and shortbread and people with blue painted faces tossing their cabers. Other than Macca I thought it was superb.
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Isa » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:21 pm

gizmo wrote:What did you want massed pipebands,free whisky and shortbread and people with blue painted faces tossing their cabers.

I don't like any of those things Gizmo but I am wondering with all those empty seats maybe more than me thought it wasn't worth patronizing.
Isa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Govangirl » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:51 am

Isa, I know what you mean but there were no empty seats at the opening ceremony. I agree with Gizmo, they are indeed the London Games and I thought personally it was great Scotland was not painted with a typical shortbread tin face - and Danny Boyle was the man to do that.
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Current Affairs