Fifa rejects FA's requests for England to wear poppies

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Fifa rejects FA's requests for England to wear poppies

Postby Jock Strap » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:04 pm

What are your thoughts on this? Correct or not?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15643295.stm
Jock Strap
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Fifa rejects FA's requests for England to wear poppies

Postby Tom B » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:34 pm

FIFA is a descredited and corrupt governing body that has no moral authority to make such a decision. I heard a great suggestion on 5 live tonight that the players should each carry a poppy with them on the pitch, observe the minutes silence and then each hand their poppy to a member of the crowd. Who are FIFA to ban this?

Time for a new world governing body for football....
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:19 pm

Well said Tom. I cannot see why this can 'jeopardise the neutrality of football' when it is neither political nor religious. This is about respect and the players should make a stand.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:00 pm

Personally, I think that the wearing of poppies has reached ridiculous levels, particularly on the news media. To extend this poppy type fascism, to the football field only entrenches our attitudes to war and the slaughter of millions.
I find the Government's hypocrisy staggering, trooping out those royal parasites year after year, if they really cared two hoots about the injured dead and dying, they would not send our boys to fight wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, Ireland the Malvinas, Korea Israel Jordan and a few dozen more.

As the great man said: Hypocrites are these your pranks, tae murder men, an gie God thanks.
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Swanseajock » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:12 am

I agree with the sentiment of Poppy Fascism, almost forcing people to wear a poppy, instead of honouring the War Dead how we want. But I have to object to the description of the "royal parasites". The Royal Family surely cost less than the democratically elected politicians (who have ceded all our powers to Brussels), and have their noses in so many troughs it must hurt!! Most of the Royal Family have actually served in the Armed Forces (Prince Phillip was Mentioned in Despatches in the Second World War), unlike the current politicians who have nevre seen any action, never mind a real job - check the lack of campaign medals at the Cenetaph on the chests of our "leaders".
Swanseajock
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Return to Current Affairs