Hospitals and the elderly

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Hospitals and the elderly

Postby Govangirl » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:53 am

I know we have discussed this before but I couldn't find it. It may upset some folk as I know, despite trying not to, this may well turn into a rant.
I had to travel up to Glasgow at the weekend to visit my mum in hospital. I can't tell you how shocked I was at the cruel, Hitler-like, monstrous, antiquated ways of the staff. Perhaps I'm expecting too much of nurses to want them to treat my mother - all three and a half stone of her - with a wee bit of compassion and care. :twisted: Perhaps I'm expecting too much to want to turn up at the ward to see her outside of the visiting hours. :<> And perhaps I'm expecting too much to want information about my mother's health. :roll:
I found the whole experience of my mum in hospital really quite perplexing and frustrating. They were very evasive on the telephone and there was never anyone available to give me any information. Despite asking several times - at one point, begging - to speak to her on a telephone, it transpired that they are still living in a previous century and a communication device actually going to the prisoner, oops, patient, would have been impossible.
When I got there and remonstrated with them to let me in outside of the visiting hours and they so generously allowed me 5 minutes, I was upset at how just so flaming depressing the whole room was. It was lovely and new and modern but the whole atmosphere was horrible: six elderly women lying in beds all so sad and I have to say, neglected.
Once I got over the barricades, the lure of the chat and chocolates at the nurses' station proved too much for the staff and I was soon forgotten so my stay carried over to visiting hours - over two hours where not a single patient was seen. One poor soul couldn't get her bedcovers down and I had to go help her but I was well aware of the dangers if she had slipped or anything. My own frail mum needed to go to the toilet and insisted she go without her zimmer frame so I managed to guide her there. I asked a nurse to take her in as there was no need for my mum to have her daughter see her, ablutions-wise, but it was clear that was not going to happen. Eventually, a lovely nurse from the ward next door took her in and I swear she was the ONLY person there with any compassion.
There are lots of other tales I could tell but suffice to say I am in despair over it all. I live so far away and my father is in his eighties. My brother (who was on holiday this last fortnight) had once complained about the treatment and presumably because this is on the front of my mother's notes, is treated like a pariah whatever ward she is moved to. So complaining isn't an option and I know that sounds awful.
And this is a major teaching hospital? One that is respected and one I grew up with and where many of my teenage peers trained as nurses and took those skills all over the world. I still maintain that the NHS is the greatest thing at the point of need but this has shocked me to the core. I practically cried all the journey home.
Is it something to do with the fact that nurses all have to study for degrees now and having to take a fuddled auld wumman to the toilet is beneath them? Is it that they are all overworked and not enough staff? Is it that they simply don't get trained any more in simple caring skills or is this not a fundamental and human attribute, certainly for someonewho wants to be a nurse?

Put simply, there was just no bloody DIGNITY.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Hospitals and the elderly

Postby MPR » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:33 pm

I wont start, no I wont, but I agree wholeheartedly.
MPR
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby gizmo » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:26 pm

I would love to be able to disagree withyou GG, unfortuately I cant. It was only a few years ago all nurses were angels :roll: , not now I'm afraid. Think the degree bit has hit it on the head.
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Ags » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:27 pm

A wee bit of bad news today! Govangirl's Mum has very sadly passed away. I'm sure, like me, your thoughts will be with her at this difficult time :(
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Isa » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:36 pm

gizmo wrote:It was only a few years ago all nurses were angels :roll: , not now I'm afraid. Think the degree bit has hit it on the head.

Definitely in it for the money certainly not patient care.
Isa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby francii » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:35 pm

Very sorry to see that your mum has passed on, my sincere condolences to you. I could not agree more about care of the elderly in our hospitals. I have had several experiences of this recently involving older family members and those of my partner and friends. I don't understand it myself and could not give an explanation for it. I would think that this group of people deserve to maintain their dignity and receive respect above most others. I hope that you can focus on all your lovely memories of your mum and know that she must have appreciated your hospital visits all the more.
francii
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Govangirl » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:45 pm

Just watched the news and saddened and shocked to see I'm not alone - the stories are simply horrendous. I've heard all the politicians spout about what they are going to do but in my humble opinion they need to start with nurses' training. The next thing will be the amount of managers. It's a scandal and it's heartbreaking in what is a civilised country.

PS Thank you, Francii, I hadn't noticed your post as I hadn't been on here for a few weeks when you put it. You are very kind, x
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Current Affairs