Sunday Post

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Re: Sunday Post

Postby Mr Plod » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:28 pm

EmDee I have been busy with personal matters arising and to be honest my thoughts were elsewhere but I visit as often as I can as this forum is a good source of info an all things Kintyre.

But I like a good laff and some of the posts on here are a real hoot. Hope I can make sensible contributions without offending anyone unduly.

Now in retirement, I'm slowly being re-introduced into what passes for normal society after 31 years of working for an institution that made massive demands on me and my long suffering family.
Eagles may soar............but Weasels never get sucked into jet engines
Mr Plod
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby gizmo » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:30 pm

Dont worry Plod. There's a few on here who have been in institutions.
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:36 pm

EMDEE wrote:Don't know where you've been Mr Plod, but as you have probably seen the forum has been gey deid recently, and your voluble posts are most welcome and stimulating.

Welcome back Sir. :D

Oh I do have to agree!!!!! I don't know why that Courier isn't round knocking on your door Mr Plod, begging you to write a weekly column. It would boost their circulation no ends - anyone who can link their local rag to a Burton's Wagon Wheel is a writer in my book! :D
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Martin » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:04 pm

Wagon Wheels ain't wot they used to be ( whinge, whinge) they're smaller now. And talking about sweets, I payed five pence each for two sherbert saucers today, bloody robbery, I remember getting two of those for an old ha'penny from the NAAFI.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:06 pm

Ha ha Martin, that was what Mr Plod was saying, that they are the size of Jammie Dodgers now!! :lol: And to bring it back to the thread, I have remembered that at Primary School we all had to write a letter to the Sunday Post and this guy in my class wrote about rising prices and how one day penny caramels would cost a shilling!!!!! It seemed really funny at the time (I don't think the letters were ever published but they were on the classroom wall for ages) but actually, I recently saw penny caramels for four shillings each!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Martin » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:48 pm

Letters to newsapers has just brought back another memory. The first thing of mine ever in print was a letter I wrote to the Courier, I think I got a ten bob note for it., can't remember what it was about.
AS for sweets, anyone remember the Golden Cup Bar ? I remember when I got my first Five New Pence piece and I bought a Golden Cup Bar for 3D. When they first came out 1967/68 they had red foil wrappers with gold lettering.

Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobh » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:39 pm

Talking about prices. Here is my recollection of Decimalisation. I forget if it was 1969 or 1971. But hear goes. One day i could get 12 penny carmels for one shilling and the next day got five. How wrong is that?

Some people must have made a fortune. I also remember old women in the shops trying to work it out and the conversion charts which helped. But it was some rip off even then.
Bobh
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Martin » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:58 am

It was 1971 when we changed. We'd just moved to Gib and a bag of crisps was 2 1/2 D, next day it was 2 1/2 Pence. My sodding pocket money didn't change ! The only thing I remember stopping the same or near enough was Airfix model kits.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:39 pm

February 15th 1971 to be precise. I can remember being very put out because I didn`t get as much for my money when buying the kids sweets.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Current Affairs