Government Army Cuts

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Government Army Cuts

Postby Lachlan » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:30 pm

Well, it looks like the Argylls are back in the firing line. :(

If the cuts of 19,000 regular military personnel goes ahead by the wonderful westminster government, it looks likely that the Argylls will be axed from the Royal Regiment of Scotland. It seems that despite their highly-trained air-assault role which is very important in Britain's current (and future) military efforts around the world, political seat-fillers and armchair generals will decide to appeal to the finest traditions of the British Army and remember that, despite the hachet job they did on the Scottish regiments in 2006, the Argylls, as 5 SCOTS, is the most junior of the Scottish regiments (which we used to have !) and will be "it" in their latest game of eeny-meeny-miney-mo.

I am proud to say I signed the Save The Argylls petition which succeeded in 1968-69, but nowadays it gets harder to feel part of it, as identity has been eroded since 2006. It's almost like I remember who the Argylls should be, but are a fond memory.

If Westminster does this, why don't they just cut to the chase and merge all the British regiments into 1 BRIT, 2 BRIT, 3 BRIT etc etc ?

There will still be the Para Regiment battalions of course - they've got friends in high places and General Mike Jackson (ex-Para and key figure in the 2006 westminster chainsaw massacre) made sure his boys were alright and survived intact and even benefitted while the Scottish regiments got thrown into the blender in 2006 !

Gie's ye the dry boak !! :evil:

Does anyone know serving soldiers in 5 SCOTS and how do they and you feel about the Argylls since 2006 and this latest likely cut ?
Lachlan
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Return to Current Affairs