Referendum on AV

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Referendum on AV

Postby weetoonboy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:05 am

In a months time we go to the polls to decide the make up our Scottish Parliament and to decide on a new system of Voting in UK elections.

Im personally for AV. Its a step forward in democracy, but in keeping with Democracy, if the people of Scotland say no to AV for the UK elections, should that not mean that the Scottish Elections should then be decided by First Past the Post (FPTP)?

Furthermore, If a constituancy decides that it wants AV, is it not in keeping with Democracy, that the system for that Constituancy should be AV, even though that the other regions have voted to keep FPTP?

In a side Issue, why in this day and age, when I can sit on the sofa and ask these questions to the world, I cant sit on my seatee, and cast my vote?

Should it be a legal requirement that you Vote? I think so.
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
...Stephen F Roberts
weetoonboy
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Re: Referendum on AV

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:41 pm

I missed this one Wee Toon Boy - good post. Could be in local news to highlight the forthcoming elections?
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Tom B » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:46 am

weetoonboy wrote:In a months time we go to the polls to decide the make up our Scottish Parliament and to decide on a new system of Voting in UK elections.

Im personally for AV. Its a step forward in democracy, but in keeping with Democracy, if the people of Scotland say no to AV for the UK elections, should that not mean that the Scottish Elections should then be decided by First Past the Post (FPTP)?

Furthermore, If a constituancy decides that it wants AV, is it not in keeping with Democracy, that the system for that Constituancy should be AV, even though that the other regions have voted to keep FPTP?

In a side Issue, why in this day and age, when I can sit on the sofa and ask these questions to the world, I cant sit on my seatee, and cast my vote?

Should it be a legal requirement that you Vote? I think so.

AV is only part of the way to what is required. If I decide that I don't want to vote for any of the main 'whipped' parties but want a parliament of independent thinkers not constrained by party politics then my vote will be wasted (most probably) unless we go for something beyond AV that allows for all the smaller parties (and groups of independents) to get a proportional share of the votes - not disimilar to the Scottish list vote.

I don't think forcing people to vote is the answer. If some can't be bothered now, what is the benefit of an ill considered forced vote?
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby katya » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:49 am

Actually, you can weetoonboy, just tick the box for a postal vote the next time your register of electors form comes in :)

I strongly believe that it is very important for people to vote, but really don't think compulsory voting is the way forward. I have spent quite a bit of time in Brazil where it is a legal requirement, and it just leaves it wide open to corruption. Although there is abject poverty there, I'm sure the same could happen here to a certain degree.
katya
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Return to Current Affairs