Comic Relief

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Comic Relief

Postby Govangirl » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:29 am

I know this has been discussed before:

http://www.kintyreforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7648&hilit=comic+relief

but this is on a new topic. I really thought Friday's sketches were absolutely hilarious and very clever (especially's Smithy's one) and I was taken aback by the country's generosity but I'm wondering how long we can go on like this. It's been going on for 25 years and has raised £650million yet Africa is no further on. Comic' Relief cannot solve the internal problems of failed African states, which are exacerbated by corrupt and incompetent government and near constant civil war.

Is Comic Relief just an annual outing to sooth people's consciences? Is it is simply a manipulative, millionaire, celebrity, huge love-in? Is it like the guy says, that aid is about transferring money from poor people in rich countries to rich people in poor countries? The videos from Africa were just heartbreaking but is there another way to help them?
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Current Affairs