Anti Poll Tax Union ( Scotland )

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Anti Poll Tax Union ( Scotland )

Postby ionnsaigh » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:54 am

As I have stated previously, the Militant Tendency capitalised on the massive discontent, felt at that time by the people of Scotland... That's not to say that the people of England or Wales, and the occupied territory of Eire, hadn't reason for dissatisfaction with Maggie Thatcher and her Economic plunder. On the contrary they had every reason, however she decided to implement the Community Charge in Scotland first. ( Democracy don't make me laugh )

It is well worth noting that the Millie's where a 100% Unionist Party, in that context Scotland and her people, didn't exist.
They stamped their Federation with Britain, in their eyes it mattered little, if thousands of families in Scotland had firmly drawn a line in the sand, by refusing to register for the tax. Tommy and his brigade duly complied with the first act of the Community Charge, namely the registration. So as we where fighting, being fined thousands of pounds, by a ruthless Labour Council, the British Federation slept peacefully.

We had huge bonfires in Glasgow, we asked people to come along and burn the forms. To the best of my knowledge the first fire was outside my house. Other areas in Maryhill followed suit, Edinburgh and Aberdeen had similar events.
The police where called to our fire, they duly contacted Maryhill Fire Station, they arrived blue lights flashing. I took the opportunity to plead with the fire fighters. As it turns out I was successful - they refused to douse the flames. :D
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Anti Poll Tax Union ( Scotland )

Postby Ship called Dignity » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:29 pm

The concept of the Community Charge on the whole was pretty much a fair tax. We all use services in one way or the other so we should ALL pay. As an 18 year old I had to pay a tax generations before me never had, but I paid it.

The introduction in Scotland was also a result of the outrage in Scotland at the difference in rates on domestic properties in comparison to England - a direct result of a revaluation taking place every 5 years in Scotland while in England there wasn't one for 15-20 years (?). If I recall? But then again I was 18 and didn't really understand much of it.

Unfortunately there is no fair tax and the current one isn't any better.

The biggest misconception of the current tax is that the amount that comes off my bank each month is for Council Tax. In fact you'll find Council Tax only amounts to about 2/3 of the bill and the rest is for water charges!! That is what is outrageous. You get all your services (roads, education, leisure, social servcies, police, fire etc - some albeit rather poor) for 2/3 of your monthly contributions and the other third is for water and sewerage!!

If anything Ionns, just worried about you speaking to yourself all the time so thought I'd have a wee post to show I'm still alive. :mrgreen:
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:46 am

Quote from previous thread by Govangirl.
Ionns, don't go setting your pals on me but is it possible you could start up a new thread of your own with this one?

I must admit that this inference has stuck in my throat, like some cheap two bit candy. Matt came from a highly respectable family, particularly in Communist circles. As a young man he trained as a priest.. he is a man of high moral principles... One must remember the expropriation of funds, by robbing banks to fund the revolution, goes way back to Lenin. So the robberies where considered legitimate, and in line with Marxist doctrine.

Ship called Dignity wrote:The concept of the Community Charge on the whole was pretty much a fair tax. We all use services in one way or the other so we should ALL pay. As an 18 year old I had to pay a tax generations before me never had, but I paid it.

An 18 year old owning his own stately mansion, would pay relatively more.. than an 18 year old in a slum. By relatively I refer to the previous rating system, the poll tax would change things drastically, so much so that the poor one would pay more, and the rich would pay less. ( fair tax ) I hardly think so.

Ship called Dignity wrote: But then again I was 18 and didn't really understand much of it.

Ah the innocence of youth, ( what happened ? )

Ship called Dignity wrote:If anything Ionns, just worried about you speaking to yourself all the time so thought I'd have a wee post to show I'm still alive. :mrgreen:

Funny I don't quite see it like that... The thread ( now pay attention :wink: ) was intended not to be answered, it is a version of working class history, that I believe is worth telling.. The only problem is attempting to answer some remnants and criticisms... on the Jimmy Reid thread, catch my drift. I conceded to Govangirl and her wish to keep ( in her opinion ) other matters out of the thread - hence the new thread.
She fails to understand or see the connection, between the two elements that had developed ..... chiefly the struggle of the Working Class.. be it in the Shipyards or the Streets. :D
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:48 pm

I have little wish to answer your ramblings Ionns. I was polite, you were rude. No, your talks of buying guns, taking part in violent incidents and armed robbing of supermarkets of men with the LOWEST moral principles CERTAINLY have no connection to Jimmy Reid. And you didn't concede, it was moved!

ionnsaigh wrote:I must admit that this inference has stuck in my throat, like some cheap two bit candy. Matt came from a highly respectable family, particularly in Communist circles. As a young man he trained as a priest.. he is a man of high moral principles... One must remember the expropriation of funds, by robbing banks to fund the revolution, goes way back to Lenin. So the robberies where considered legitimate, and in line with Marxist doctrine.

Complete and utter Pi$h
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:49 am

History isn't like a mix and pic counter, you can't pick and choose what to leave out, what you consider distasteful and unpalatable. History has no place for Romance....

Govangirl wrote:I have little wish to answer your ramblings Ionns. I was polite, you were rude. No, your talks of buying guns, taking part in violent incidents and armed robbing of supermarkets of men with the LOWEST moral principles CERTAINLY have no connection to Jimmy Reid. And you didn't concede, it was moved!

Describing an established fact - re;bank robbery for funds - as being utter Pish, or depicting, anothers postings as being mere ramblings, is far from being polite. You can take the girl out of the Gorbals - you can't take Gorbals out of the girl...springs to mind.
As far as the guns are concerned, this was a throwaway quip. The robbing of supermarkets ( now where did you get that from ? ) Of course the first big heist was the Coop in Maryhill Road.. The armed revolutionaries stormed there way in and made off with 50 Woodbine and 2 books of Green Shield stamps.... there wiz nae messin wae these guys. Tell me where I was rude - I'm dying too know... and when your at it.. tell me where you where polite ?
The thread was moved because I considered that my opinion regarding Jimmy Reid, was upsetting you - so yes I did concede to your feelings, and start another thread... yet you continue to berate..... One of the reasons I delayed the move, was a reaction on my part, to the cross arrogance shown, by thanking me - before receiving from me - this amounts to little more than intellectual and emotional blackmail.. ( catch my drift )

Why do you emphasis the words LOWEST and CERTAINLY ? You have little idea the effects that Matts actions provoked, within his families own circle of friends... One was a shock horror, a how could you bring shame, he is a common criminal being the other... So the family had to suffer petite bourgeoisie attitudes.. much akin to your own.
I'm not in the business of hero worship, however men like Matt Lygate and Paul Cockshot, can claim the highest ground.
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Current Affairs