Student Tuition Fees

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Student Tuition Fees

Postby weetoonboy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:18 pm

Should Students have to pay for their Education?

Should they be asked to pay upto £9000?

Should Scottish MP's be allowed to vote on an issue that does not directly effect Scottish Students or Scottish Universities?
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
...Stephen F Roberts
weetoonboy
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Re: Student Tuition Fees

Postby ionnsaigh » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:31 pm

weetoonboy wrote:Should Students have to pay for their Education?

Should they be asked to pay upto £9000?

Should Scottish MP's be allowed to vote on an issue that does not directly effect Scottish Students or Scottish Universities?

The State should provide Education for all of it's citizens, so the answer is no, at least to the first two points.
As to the third, to be honest I'm not sure. Another way to look at it, should English MP's be allowed to vote, on issues that effect Scottish Education ?
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby weetoonboy » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:20 pm

Interesting to know how Alan Ried MP voted today?

English MP's don't vote on Scottish Education, its a devolved matter.

Agreed that education should free for all. How do you pay for it,is a question for smarter folks than me.
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
...Stephen F Roberts
weetoonboy
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby weetoonboy » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:54 pm

Alan Ried voted against the rise in fees.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11964669
...Stephen F Roberts
weetoonboy
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby ionnsaigh » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:24 am

Perhaps Campbeltown Grammar should come out, on the next day of protest. In solidarity with both the ethos of education, and in solidarity with their English cousins. :D
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mr Plod » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:13 pm

The sooner this country ( The UK ) becomes a Federal State ( such as Australia, Germany and the US ) but with proportional representation, the sooner we'll be able to move on and have a country with a level playing field.

Free healthcare, education, decent welfare and elderly care is easily affordable by this, the 5th richest nation in the world.

If "Tax Avoidance" was made illlegal and all the stinking rich had to pay all of their tax then we would not have such a dearth of funds for these things as we do now.

We now find ourselves in a situation where the government, which apparently abhors wasting public money, happily uses public funds to retain the advisory consultation services of senile old "Lord's" who are not "permanently resident" in the UK and have stashed all their dosh in offshore accounts to "avoid" paying tax.

Hopefully the Liberal DemoPrats will lose their bottle and their support for this unpopular government will collapse and force another General Election.

That way student fees will become a major voting issue that no party can now duck (remember that it's the hard pressed majority middle and working class families who use these services and I don't think the public will be fooled again )

Free education for all is a must and this country can afford it.
Eagles may soar............but Weasels never get sucked into jet engines
Mr Plod
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby bill » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:51 pm

There was a students protest against the tuition fees planned for Peterborough a few weeks back.Police rest days were cancelled and reinforcements brought in....Twelve protesters turned up.My lad was dead chuffed,easiest overtime ever. :lol:
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Current Affairs