Working for Benefits

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Re: Working for Benefits

Postby bill » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:34 pm

Kevin Mc wrote:
I visited a Work House last year.

Where was this Kevin??What do you actually mean by a "work house"??
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kevin Mc » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:53 pm

bill wrote:
Kevin Mc wrote:
I visited a Work House last year.

Where was this Kevin??What do you actually mean by a "work house"??

As in an old fashioned jobbie:

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-findaplace/w-theworkhouse/

:D
Kevin Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Asymetric » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:25 am

ionnsaigh wrote:The answer is simple really....It's not that benefits are too high... it's wages too low.

Are you saying then that because wages are so low people are better/as well off not working?

This country is full of useless lazy people, there are definately lots of genuine cases, but in my opinion, there is far too many willing to sit back and put their hand out.

Time to root the (fit and able) benefit claiments out and make them graft like every other poor sod.
Asymetric
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby ionnsaigh » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:57 am

More people are chasing every job in Campbeltown than in any other town in Scotland, a union claimed yesterday.

The Kintyre community has a claimants-to-jobs ratio more than three times the Scottish average.

The figures for Scotland are worse than any other part of Britain with the sole exception of the London commuter area.

The GMB Union has analysed the official unemployment and vacancy data for October 2010 and looked at the unfilled vacancies to total claimants ratio in 232 travel to work areas across Britain.

It found 12.9 unemployed workers chasing each unfilled job vacancy in south Kintyre and Campbeltown, which was top of the Scottish league for the highest ratio of claimants to job vacancies.

In Campbeltown there were 180 unemployed claimants after 14 unfilled job vacancies. Meanwhile in Wick, Newton Stewart & Wigtown and Ullapool and Gairloch there were more than 10 wanting each job.

In Scotland, 129,307 unemployed claimants were pursuing 33,431 jobs, or 3.9 unemployed workers for each job vacancy.

Shetland was the lowest ratio at just 1.2 ; Moray before any cutbacks at the RAF bases was just a little behind with 1.3, followed by Pitlochry at 1.4 and Aberdeen at 1.5.

The GMB figures show that across Britain 1,359,282 unemployed claimants were after 521,729 unfilled job vacancies, or 2.6 unemployed workers chasing each unfilled job vacancy across the country.

Harry Donaldson GMB Scottish regional secretary said. “Unemployed workers face an uphill battle to find jobs in most parts of the country and all across Scotland.

“There are 3.9 unemployed claimants for every unfilled job vacancy across Scotland in October 2010. The ratio varies significantly from area to area.

“That is before those seeking work but not officially registered as claimants are counted.”

He said Government policy to sack hundreds of thousands of public sector workers was making matters worse.
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:01 am

Asymetric wrote:Are you saying then that because wages are so low people are better/as well off not working?

There appears little real difference between the two, both represent income. An income regardless of benefit, or low wage. In Scotland we have 4 Workers for each job vacancy - Campbeltown had 180 unemployed chasing 14 places. Tesco in Maryhill Glasgow, had thousands of Workers, chasing 100 odd slots, a ratio of 13 to 1. How many unemployed people are there in the Town ? Whatever the figure it would be fair to say that 166 failed applicants, don't belong in your opinionated equation. In your little world, the country is made up of " Poor sods who have to graft " One has to ask, don't you like work ? If not chuck it . I'm sure one of the other 166 lazy sods, would be more than happy to take your place.
Essentially your work should be an extension of you, it has an aesthetic value attached, for example standing back and taking pride in your work, as an artist or other, would do. I would go further and state, that this is in fact, an unmet human need, in many cases due, to who owns the means of production, and the repetitive nature, of the dreaded production line. In other words most jobs in today's world, wont or can't, cater this need, with a net result of a lot of unhappy people tied to work they hate.
Anyway the thread is about hiring an army of cheap labour to work.. for next to nothing - all the name calling in the world...... can't disguise this fact.
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby four eyes » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:00 pm

Give up ions you cant educate pork! No wonder the tories are back
four eyes
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby ionnsaigh » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:59 pm

four eyes wrote:Give up ions you cant educate pork! No wonder the tories are back
:D

I guess your right, you can't, however pork, is not the whole pig. Hope springs eternal.
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kevin Mc » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:04 am

Here you go - I know this is the Dail Wail, so don't know how accurate these figures/story are:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1335562/We-hate-victims-say-29-500-benefits-family-new-home-plea.html

That is equivalent to a salary of £40k per year. 3 bed semi for £254 rent per month :shock:

I'm in the wrong business.
Kevin Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby weetoonboy » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:20 pm

I have a probem with working for benefits as a whole.

If a job needs doing then pay somebody to do it.

A simple analergy would be that the council are looking to save a few £££, they lay off the street sweepers, that same street sweeper then has to sign on, and after a period of time will be told that to continue claiming his benefit, keep the roof over his head, feed and clothe his children, he now has to do community work, sweeping the street, cleaning the beaches, all the things that he previously did in paying his own way.

Agreed, there are those who do not wish to work, but their shying from work should not be to the detriment of those who willingly work for no great gain.

I like the idea of less cash benefits. A chip'n'pin system perhaps. One that limits the purchase of Alcohol and cigrettes, is not valid in the bookies, tattoo parlours or half price jewellery stores. One that promotes good parenting, and healthy living. After all, its not the fault of the kids.

Other solutions on a postcard.
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
...Stephen F Roberts
weetoonboy
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Kevin Mc » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:35 pm

weetoonboy wrote:I like the idea of less cash benefits. A chip'n'pin system perhaps. One that limits the purchase of Alcohol and cigrettes, is not valid in the bookies, tattoo parlours or half price jewellery stores. One that promotes good parenting, and healthy living. After all, its not the fault of the kids.

Sounds good to me :D
Kevin Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby ionnsaigh » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:25 pm

£568 minus £36 school meals = £532, minus £59 housing benefit = £473 divided by 8 = £59 cash per person, per week.
Hardly an outrageous sum. £8.40P per day.
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:09 pm

Mail makes mountain from mere molehill. Yet another savage attack on the poor. I have made a unilateral declaration of War. :D
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:39 pm

Anyway back to the plough. weetoonboy's, street sweeper analogy, sets a good example of working for benefits.
You can dress it up anyway you like, to my mind, it means little more than a return to slavery. Christ I hope we wake soon.
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Current Affairs