Loch Long

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Loch Long

Postby ionnsaigh » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:11 am

The American's bid to control our nuclear weapons at Coulport on the Clyde has created a bit of a hu ha .
The MoD stated that the site would remain under it's control, and that security would not be compromised.
The bid from The Atomic Weapons Establishment ( Lockheed Martin ) is currently on the table.
Labour's ( who has eaten all the pies ) Jackie Baillie MSP " This announcement has more to do with cutting jobs. But I also think it risks public safety and it threatens the security of our nation.

"To suggest that a private company can come in and effectively run our nuclear warheads base is just extraordinary and irresponsible.

"I don't believe they should be taking short-term funding decisions about the defence of our country based on a budget deficit. It's entirely wrong and dangerous."

The SNP's defence spokesman, Angus Robertson, said: "This is a highly questionable move by the UK government.

"The SNP opposition to the nuclear fleet is absolute, but as long as Trident and nuclear missiles remain on the Clyde I would resist privatisation particularly from companies outwith the country.

"Weapons of mass destruction are the most sensitive areas of military technology and should not be privatised."

The anti-nuclear group Scottish CND said it would give the United States "full control" over the UK's nuclear weapons.

Its co-ordinator John Ainslie said: "If this goes ahead, then the Royal Navy should lower the Union Jack which flutters above Loch Long and replace it with the Stars and Stripes."

Scottish CND would do well to remember that the lowering of the Union Jack isn't necessarily a bad thing.
The SNP response is disgracefully inaccurate.

The sad fact of the matter is that our weapons of mass destruction are already ( looked after ) by foreign Multinational Groups.
Personally I find little in the way of comfort, that these weapons promise. It's time to send them home to America. :D
Oh and take that apologist Baillie with you.
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Loch Long

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:43 am

Could take "friendly fire" to a whole new level. :(
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Loch Long

Postby ionnsaigh » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

5th November 2020.

The British nuclear submarine HMS Charles De Gaulle - has run aground off the west coast of Scotland. The accident happened close to the causeway that links Campbeltown to Davaar Island. As a precaution, all residents in the surrounding area are being evacuated to Glasgow and beyond. Eyewitness reports a huge mushroom cloud, and several large explosions have damaged large parts of the town.. US Admiral Josh Schwarzenegger, has issued the following statement.
It is with deep regret, that I must report this serious incident off the English coast.
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Current Affairs