The Cuts Won't Work

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

The Cuts Won't Work

Postby WC1 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:05 am

WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: The Cuts Won't Work

Postby riggbeck » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:56 pm

We could learn a lot from the French. They take to the streets when their liberties are threatened.
riggbeck
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Mr Plod » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:09 pm

Just saw the midday news, 500,000 job losses in the public sector. This on top of the hundreds of thousands put out of work in the banking scandal. Where are they going to find the revenue to pay benefits to sustain these people and their families. It really is time for the liberals to step aside from this and force a new general election. George Osborne was pretty much dismissed by the bational dailies as an incompetent. Looks like they were spot on.
Eagles may soar............but Weasels never get sucked into jet engines
Mr Plod
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Mr.Everready » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:43 pm

Out of the 500,000 I imagine that quite a large percentage will be natural wastage. And as for the rest, it'll be cheaper for the government to pay them benefits than pay their weekly wage.
Mr.Everready
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Govangirl » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:39 pm

Mr.Everready wrote:Out of the 500,000 I imagine that quite a large percentage will be natural wastage. And as for the rest, it'll be cheaper for the government to pay them benefits than pay their weekly wage.

:<> Are you being serious? :<>
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mr.Everready » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:11 am

About what ?

example, £400 a week in wages or £200 in benefits. are my figures wrong or is there voing to be no natural wastage ?
Mr.Everready
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby WC1 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:27 pm

Mr.Everready wrote:
example, £400 a week in wages or £200 in benefits. are my figures wrong or is there voing to be no natural wastage ?

There's no way of telling if your figures are 'right or wrong' unless you say where they came from and what they're supposed to represent. As for whether half a million jobs can be lost by natural wastage or compulsory redundancy, my money's on compulsory redundancy for the bulk of them. And then we have to figure out how the services those jobs provided will be delivered when there's no-one there to do them. There's a couple of things on which you can be absolutely certain. Clegg, Cameron and their ilk are not depending on those services. And they can afford the change in their circumstances far better than the ordinary people who'll be bearing the brunt of this.
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Bertie » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:01 pm

example, £400 a week in wages

By my, very rough, calculations that would equate to about £31000 before tax and insurance. I can assure you that many of the people targetted will be on half that salary.
Bertie
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Mr.Everready » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:01 am

try using a calculator next time. :wink:
Mr.Everready
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Hume » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:29 am

Mr.Everready wrote:try using a calculator next time. :wink:

to be fair, its a reasonable estimate - I think Bertie is meaning net pay of £400 pw, so its not just a case of x52.

£31,000 gross would leave you with more like £450 net pw. Or put the other way, £400 new pw would require gross of about £27,235.
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Bertie » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:45 am

Thanks Hume. Was just going to ignore it to be honest. Arithmatic was never a strong point I'm afraid but at least you got what I meant :lol:
Bertie
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Hume » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:06 pm

Is is right that we are seeing public spending cuts in Scotland at all? A country with a fiscal surplus in the last four years, during the worst global economic crisis for a couple of generations?

But hey, we're all in this together according to Cameron! :roll:

In the next seven months be prepared for an avalanche of misleading press reports about how Scotland is better off as part of the UK.

Time to wake up folk!

http://newsnetscotland.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=315:independence-boost-as-scottish-fiscal-surplus-reaches-p35-billion&catid=1:politics&Itemid=2
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby ionnsaigh » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:32 pm

Mr.Everready wrote:About what ?

I suppose another way of looking at it.... £400 or £200..regardless of benefit or wage, equals that persons income. Spending power would be reduced dramatically - if not abandoned completely. The person on benefit creates nothing in terms of production - however the wage earner produces what ? surely more than the shortfall of £200 that exists between the two. It makes no sense to cut as the subject correctly states - the cuts won't work.
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby four eyes » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:34 pm

non of it makes sense unless your a right wing nutter,god help us all.
four eyes
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Current Affairs