John Lennon

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

John Lennon

Postby ionnsaigh » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:30 am

I see that the New York parole board have turned down another request from Mark Chapman. Yoko is said to be pleased as she believes Chapman constitutes a risk to her and family. Apparently he can apply for parole every two years. I don't understand this countries position in this regard, I would say however that I think two years is about fair. Anyway John was a hero to many ( rightly so ) although this particular issue reflects American justice. It doesn't seem that long since the Beatles where banned from America, death threats burning of photographs and the sky lit up with burning vinyl.
John had stirred up a hornets nest of religious outrage - hate and venom - by claiming that the band was more popular than Christ. One wonders if Chapman shared the views of the intolerant ?
Then again I must remember that feelings of revenge run deeper - when it's someone you admire and hold in high regard.
Is Yoko completely justified, has she communication with the authority, on regards Chapman's current state of mind ?
Thirty years in prison is a long time - in that time he has married - which to my mind ( although some may disagree ) that the act of marriage, requires sanity - I'm not trying to be funny...
Was Chapman sane or insane at the time of the killing ? You know I've read Catcher in the Rye ( twice ) I mean what was all that about - indicating that a book played some part in the slaughter ? Yet when you consider the havoc caused by the reading of another book - then the possibility exists.
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Current Affairs