Dog licences

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Dog licences

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:01 am

The R.S.P.C.A.want to re-introduce compulsory dog licences to promote responsible ownership.My arse it will!
The dangerous/banned dogs are owned in the main by either dealers or smack-heads.I feel sure that the first thing a druggy thinks when he is off his head on smack cocaine is,"Mmmm,must go to the Post Ofice and buy a licence for Mutilator". :roll:
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Dog licences

Postby EMDEE » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:27 pm

How much should it be? I don't remember the Dog Licence being scrapped, but I do remember it was a trifling amount. It was 7/6d pre-decimalisation and became 37.5p after decimalisation.

It was a real disincentive to dog ownership. :roll:
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:31 pm

EMDEE wrote:How much should it be? I don't remember the Dog Licence being scrapped, but I do remember it was a trifling amount. It was 7/6d pre-decimalisation and became 37.5p after decimalisation.

My licence was cheaper because I had a black and white dog.Sorry about that.It is a very old joke but I am a very old joke teller.Fee stayed at that figure.
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:40 pm

Reminds me of a true story - three years ago - A guy was stabbed to death, because he hit a dog with a snowball.
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby gizmo » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:33 pm

And rightly so. There is too much of that type of behaviour. What had the dog done to deserve the attack.
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby ionnsaigh » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:53 am

gizmo wrote:And rightly so. There is too much of that type of behaviour. What had the dog done to deserve the attack.

Nothing apart from it belonging to a breed - the neds think - brings street credibility.
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:15 pm

Proof positive.
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:39 am

LANDROVER ROGER wrote:Fee stayed at that figure.

Och wit a shame fur the wee dug - did she - Fee - live a happy life ? :roll:
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Lilacbabe » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:53 pm

LANDROVER ROGER wrote:
EMDEE wrote:How much should it be? I don't remember the Dog Licence being scrapped, but I do remember it was a trifling amount. It was 7/6d pre-decimalisation and became 37.5p after decimalisation.

My licence was cheaper because I had a black and white dog.Sorry about that.It is a very old joke but I am a very old joke teller.Fee stayed at that figure.

:lol:
Your only here once so be nice
Lilacbabe
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Lilacbabe » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:38 pm

LANDROVER ROGER wrote:The R.S.P.C.A.want to re-introduce compulsory dog licences to promote responsible ownership.My arse it will!
The dangerous/banned dogs are owned in the main by either dealers or smack-heads.I feel sure that the first thing a druggy thinks when he is off his head on smack cocaine is,"Mmmm,must go to the Post Ofice and buy a licence for Mutilator". :roll:

Very true

Get to the bottom of the problem for instance , Puppy Mills,dog fighting rings .

maybe something like an application process vetted by the RSPCA/SPCA before you can own a dog :?
I dont know but I have 3 dogs and I object to maybe having to pay £60 every year because of the irrisponsible owners who are not only smack -heads and drug dealers but plain old joe blogs who should never have had a dog in the first place as he knows nothing about dog behavior.

Thats where educating peole about dog behavior comes in to play People get a dog beause they like the look of it or its cute and dont realise that Fluffy can turn in to Tuffy .So dog training and management classes run by the goverment/local councils would be an good way to go ?

Have you ever watched the American Animal Cops programmes on TV ? They have the authority to take a dangerous or neglected dog / animal , off an owner and then they are watched / fined or put to jail for neglect or or having a dog that is known to be a fighting dog or has attacked anyone .
At the moment the RSPCA cannot do anything until something awfull has happened like a dog attack and then they still have to have police assistance before the dog is taken off them. The same goes for puppy mills in America they can raid them and fine the people responsible.
They are however charity organisations and depend on puplic donations etc but I am sure that people would be more willing to donate to causes like this rather than be forced to pay out anually for a compulsory dog licence for the pets that they own.
Dont know what would work these are just my thoughts but I get treally annoyed by these irresponsible owners :x
Your only here once so be nice
Lilacbabe
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby ionnsaigh » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:28 am

Here in the city, small dogs have become a fashion accessory, with a number of owners preferring two of these wee dogs. Forgive me If don't know the name of the breed, it's something that doesn't particularly interest me. What does concern is the well being of the animal, and the subsequent health of those lives, that the dog impacts. My own area consists of largely flats within tenement buildings. The flats could be considered small, with most properties sharing a common landing and close. The landings range from three to four families sharing, in three and four story blocks, to high rise, with over a hundred families. ( It's a lot, I know )
When someone decides to buy a new 52in flat screen, that decision is completely up to them, as it doesn't directly affect me or my neighbours. Unfortunately both for the dogs and the neighbours, this TV buy mentality, carries through to the purchase of the animal. Now as much as I hate to admit it, it appears that a large if not all, are young women.
It only reinforces the fashion trend, I remember when Afghan hounds where popular, so popular in fact that the trend influenced the popularity of Afghan coats. When I was a wee boy the pelts of fox was considered not only a fashion item, but a luxury status laden statement of class, much the same as fur coats etc etc. It's not that men are any better in the fashion stakes ( brum brumm ) However back to the question at hand. Changing the fashion may be one answer the magazine industry plays a huge part in shaping the minds of it's readers. I would advocate the banning of dogs, kept in inappropriate settings, such as tenements. In this area our children and the various large number of dogs share play areas, some owners clean up the waste while others don't. Of course it is impossible to remove the urine from the grass, ( great save their Josh )
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Current Affairs