Jimmy Reid

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Re: Jimmy Reid

Postby ionnsaigh » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:38 pm

Mr Plod wrote:Finally to ionnsaigh whatever. Jimmy Reid was and still is somebody to admire who is now part of scottish history and folklore - what have you done in your life that merits that kind of public credit.

I led the Anti Poll Tax Union ( Scotland ) Not that I'm looking for public credit, ( there lies the difference )
Everything I own belongs to the Government. I wouldn't mind putting it all to bed now... it's been a long time.... :D
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:44 pm

ionnsaigh wrote:I led the Anti Poll Tax Union ( Scotland )...

Ionns, I'm not being picky here but what do you mean by 'led' then? I always knew you took part but I always thought that Sheridan led the APTU in the early days - and there were many, btw, in both Scotand and England. Did individuals 'lead' each APTU? Did you do it as part of a political party? Are you saying you led the whole of Scotland's APTU? :@
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:13 pm

Govangirl wrote: Are you saying you led the whole of Scotland's APTU? :@

Aye.
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:10 pm

We had over 8,000 fully paid up, card carrying members, if you come across any of these cards - dial the number, :D and I will say Hi.
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mr Plod » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:51 pm

ionnsaigh wrote:We had over 8,000 fully paid up, card carrying members, if you come across any of these cards - dial the number, :D and I will say Hi.

Oof! 8000 eh? That's quite a substantial movement in a population of 65 million. I don't remember Jimmy Reid setting fire to buildings and vehicles or firing steel scaffolding poles, bottles, golfballs with nails and petrol bombs at police in London. And er, the last time I looked I was still paying Poll Tax. It's called Rates now but it's Poll Tax just the same. Can't have local authority services without taxation.
Eagles may soar............but Weasels never get sucked into jet engines
Mr Plod
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:10 am

Mr Plod wrote:........ what have you done in your life that merits that kind of public credit?

I know he normally doesn't need ANYONE to defend himself (let alone me, who disagrees with 99.9% of his posts :wink: ) but I find that question a wee bit uncalled for. :? This isn't really a "show us your medals" type of forum.

As an example, you felt perfectly capable of passing judgement on the Julian Assange thread, without anyone questioning your history in the "internet activist" world :roll:

Mr Plod wrote:Oof! 8000 eh? That's quite a substantial movement in a population of 65 million.

No, Scotland had a population of about 5 million at the time! If you're going to post to berate someone, at least pay attention!

Mr Plod wrote:And er, the last time I looked I was still paying Poll Tax. It's called Rates now but it's Poll Tax just the same.

No, again incorrect. It's the Council Tax you are now paying, that is something QUITE different to the per-capita Community Charge. However, if you are indeed still paying the Poll Tax you should get in touch with your local authority immediately, or Dr Emmett Brown!

Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:55 pm

Mr Plod wrote:Can't have local authority services without taxation.

No we can't ... however The Community Charge was unfair... On the day of the riots in London. England, I was in the front line ( figuratively speaking ) in Glasgow, Scotland..... Your lot stopped the march near a railway bridge.... just to take a few shots of ionnsaigh..... :D
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:06 pm

Then off course there is the phone hacking.... You seem to be very well informed regarding the criminal and legal world.
As I'm neither a criminal, nor a lawyer, who would be responsible.....? :lol:
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:43 am

Our first contact with the APTU ( Scotland ) was in the old Maryhill Burgh Halls. This was in response to a poster that had been put up in the close. The poster caught our eye, and captured our feelings about the coming of the tax. At this point in time, I was politically naive as to the source and political affiliation of the poster. Anyway to cut a long story short, I listened to Matt Lygate, and his opinion concerning the tax, and how to oppose it. Lets just say that his skill and logic made an impression.. with his cloth cap and working boots... definitely different and refreshing. I also met his partner Linda Garthland.. who worked tirelessly on behalf of the union. We joined the Union after that meeting.

More to follow.....
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:11 pm

It would be fair to say that we both played an active part, at the meeting. It was only after that we discovered, that the Anti Poll Tax Union ( Scotland ) was the baby of the Workers Party ( Scotland ) An accurate description exists in Poll Tax Rebellion by Danny Burns...
It is well worth pointing out the guiding philosophy of Maoism, in that power and change, lie within the grass root level.
My wife became the secretary of the Maryhill branch of the union, I would imagine that the Bank Of Scotland have a record and date of the account. :D

This was the very beginning of the APTU in Scotland, we had branches in Edinburgh Fife, and Aberdeen at this early stage, of course the union would grow to include members and branches... in most towns of Scotland. Dr Paul Cockshot and Matt walked from Glasgow to the mining villages and towns, discussing the tax and measuring the opposition to it.
It was only through this politically correct line, that the WPS arrived at a strategy, that proved the downfall of Margaret Thatcher. ( take it easy bill, don't burst ) :wink:

More to follow. You see one can draw a distinction between leading and starting...
Oh another small point worth noting... check out the glaring contradiction on Wiki..... :lol:
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:21 pm

ionnsaigh wrote:More to follow.:

Ionns, don't go setting your pals on me but is it possible you could start up a new thread of your own with this one? You've already stated clearly your opinion on Jimmy Reid (scab, turncoat, etc.) so it might be a better idea to start a new thread about your demonstrations away from Mr Reid's.
Please. Thank you.
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:08 pm

Govangirl wrote:Ionns, I'm not being picky here but what do you mean by 'led' then? I always knew you took part but I always thought that Sheridan led the APTU in the early days - and there were many, btw, in both Scotand and England. Did individuals 'lead' each APTU? Did you do it as part of a political party? Are you saying you led the whole of Scotland's APTU? :@

Er, you asked.... :D
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:48 pm

Aye and I was interested but now that you've not just answered the question but taken a complete new path I'm just asking if it should be a new thread seeing that it has nothing whatsoever to do with Mr Reid.
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bitter End » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:50 pm

GG
" Aye Write " ---Jimmy Reid Tribute Saturday March 12 --Tribute to JR withthe reading of his classic speech by David Hayman--then panel made up of Ruth Wishart,Prof Tom Devine ,Gerry Hassan and others will discuss his work and impact and the future of Scotland --check oot www.ayewrite.com
Twice through the eye o' the sun to lift it.
Bitter End
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:27 pm

Thank you for that Bitter. The whole festival looks great but I'll most definitely be up for the Reid event :D
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs