paul mcartney to use pipe band from private school

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Re: paul mcartney to use pipe band from private school

Postby maxmix » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:37 am

WC1 wrote:I think the reference to 'one eleven-year-old' learning the pipes was made specifically in the context of there being only one youngster of that age training with the Campbeltown Pipe Band. There are much larger numbers coming through the school system. It's possible that Sir Paul or his 'people' may not have been aware of that, or of the quality of the school bands.

That explains it then.... ah well thats good there are still a lot of teenagers playing the pipes etc.... That 'Only one' statement had me wondering.... (Maybe McCartney read into that wrong also....)

Who knows.... :<>

maxmix
maxmix
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Iain » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:25 pm

the big man wrote:
bassett wrote:
the big man wrote:
my reasoning for such as statement is very simple, with the ties paul mccartney has with kintyre it would have been a nice gesture to ask the kspb to play mull of kintyre at his concert next sunday.

Quite agree ! Like Emdee, (I think) I was a friend of Tony Wilson who played on the Mull of Kintyre record, and I'm sure he'd be turning in his grave on hearing that McCartney had abandoned Machrihanish, the Campbeltown economy and the youngsters in the region learning the pipes.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Ags » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:28 pm

Just catching up on this thread and must admit I am a bit disappointed in Sir Paul!! If he has such love and affinity for Kintyre, you would think he would be well aware that we have had Scottish, European and World Champion junior bands over the last few years :?:
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby mrn » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:40 pm

Totally agree with the sentiments on this thread. How nice it would have been to give our area the recognition it deserves!
mrn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby bassett » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:35 pm

mrn wrote:Totally agree with the sentiments on this thread. How nice it would have been to give our area the recognition it deserves!

Recognition for what ???? :@ :@
bassett
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Bobh » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:23 am

Just back home one hour ago from concert. Paul was fanttastic. Played for almost 3 hours non stop. A range of Beatles, Wings, new stuff and favourites. Mull of Kintyre was played about 3 songs before the end and the place went mental.

I reckon there was about 30,000 plus and it was a beautiful night here in Glasgow. He appeared to genuinely enjoy himself and spoke warmly of his time spent in Scotland.

A great night, and one to rememeber.
Bobh
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby DOUBLE A » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:21 am

Bobh wrote:Just back home one hour ago from concert. Paul was fanttastic. Played for almost 3 hours non stop. A range of Beatles, Wings, new stuff and favourites. Mull of Kintyre was played about 3 songs before the end and the place went mental.

I reckon there was about 30,000 plus and it was a beautiful night here in Glasgow. He appeared to genuinely enjoy himself and spoke warmly of his time spent in Scotland.

A great night, and one to rememeber.

Have to agree, thought he was superb, and he knew how to make a grown man nearly cry when he started Mull of Kintyre, looked like he enjoyed his night as much as the crowd did
" on the road tae Drumlemman "
DOUBLE A
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby kbm » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:24 pm

Fantastic night!!
Kevin McCallum
kbm
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby DOUBLE A » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:12 pm

" on the road tae Drumlemman "
DOUBLE A
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ags » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:55 pm

DOUBLE A wrote:A wee flavour of the night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-zUe7NRwmU

Thanks for posting that Double A - I still wish a wee toon band had been offered the job and Mull of Kintyre really and truly isn't one of my favourite songs but that gave me goosebumps!! Sounds like it was a great night :D
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Previous

Return to Current Affairs