People

Welcome to the House of Fun- try our puzzles, questions and heid burstin teasers! Please add yours!

Re: Travellers

Postby EMDEE » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:48 pm

Looks like everyone on here is joking except Mo*. :?
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:47 am

See what you miss Horse, when you're sleeping????????????????? :lol:

No, Emdee, Mo certainly isn't in a joking mood at all. Still, no-one can accuse him of being sexist, racist or homophobic . . . because he doesnae like anybody!!!! :lol: :lol:
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:36 am

Who would have thought that a wee joke about pikeys would extend to a discussion now in its third page almost within 24 hours! I had never heard of a "pikey " before, but will know in future. The forum is certainly educational. :D

:idea: Are they similar to gadgies? :?
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:42 am

What is a gadgie?(Be careful!) :wink:
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:42 am

EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Malky » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:18 am

From description 2: That gadgie sitting in the corner is a knob.

No messing ! :lol:

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:11 am

The Major wrote:
First A Horse called Juan Face wrote:The PC brigade should be shot, anyway. Then let's see them complain.

Then LANDROVER ROGER wrote:That seems quite a good idea.Now where is my 12 bore? :)

And then Malky wrote:Hmmm, threats of violence now - you really are an unsavoury character :!:

Hmmm, seems some people are allowed to say things and others are called names.

Nothing new there then, eh? What?

Ssssh quiet, you might piss somebody off!

That's pretty much what i thought as well Major, turns out though he was joking too. Mo, I'm a traveller ay noo, and I wasn't offended in the slightest, because I knew it was a JOKE. If we're going to be looking up descriptions of words, I'd suggest you start with that one. Me really no like the PC brigade.
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Malky » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:39 pm

A Horse called Juan Face wrote:That's pretty much what i thought as well Major, turns out though he was joking too.

A lot of the arguments that used to be on this forum were caused by ambiguous posts and people taking comments the wrong way. I'm a bit pissed off at myself for giving the wrong meaning in my post earlier - I'm usually very careful what I write. In the past I had to be, as I was an admin and always tried to make sure I was fair and balanced and that my comments couldn't be misconstrued. I could have gone back and edited, but the damage was done. :?

I don't post a lot these days - I'll probably post even less now :roll: Anyway, apologies again to those concerned.

Malky
PS. I clicked the Preview button before posting this time :wink:
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:34 pm

Malky,you worry too much.Lighten up,enjoy the forum.I certainly do!We are all friends here. :)
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:18 pm

Malky wrote:
A Horse called Juan Face wrote:That's pretty much what i thought as well Major, turns out though he was joking too.

A lot of the arguments that used to be on this forum were caused by ambiguous posts and people taking comments the wrong way. I'm a bit pissed off at myself for giving the wrong meaning in my post earlier - I'm usually very careful what I write. In the past I had to be, as I was an admin and always tried to make sure I was fair and balanced and that my comments couldn't be misconstrued. I could have gone back and edited, but the damage was done. :?

I don't post a lot these days - I'll probably post even less now :roll: Anyway, apologies again to those concerned.

Malky

As Malky has already stated there was a fair amount of trouble on the forum in the past, leading to members being banished and others declining to post again.
In this instance Mo has accused Landrover Roger of using a racist term,and in the eyes of the law he is correct. The following is an extract from a BBC report which you will find by clicking the link at the bottom.

"But in more recent years it has become a term of abuse and in the eyes of the law using it can even be deemed a racist offence, given its association with Irish travellers and Roma Gypsies.

In December, at Lewes Magistrates' Court, Lee Coleman, 28, admitted using racially-aggravated threatening words and behaviour after a row with a nightclub manageress.

He had told her: "I'm not paying you, pikey." "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7446274.stm

Since the previous trouble on the forum I do not get involved with personal replies to individual members,I post my opinion or comment and leave it at that.
In this instance I found the news report and have posted it as part of the discussion with no personal comment as to the rights or wrongs of the offending word.
I am always mindful that in the past on this forum some members found the local saying "black afronted" to be a racist remark.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:38 pm

I honestly wish that I had not posted the damn joke in the first place.In future I will consult my solicitor before posting anything. :?
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:57 pm

It fairly livened up the forum though. :D
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:05 pm

EMDEE wrote:It fairly livened up the forum though. :D

True.I think it would now be better to move the subject to Speaker`s Corner. :wink:
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:51 pm

Malky wrote:A lot of the arguments that used to be on this forum were caused by ambiguous posts and people taking comments the wrong way. I'm a bit pissed off at myself for giving the wrong meaning in my post earlier - I'm usually very careful what I write. In the past I had to be, as I was an admin and always tried to make sure I was fair and balanced and that my comments couldn't be misconstrued. I could have gone back and edited, but the damage was done. :?

Malky

See, that's what I think too. When you posted your first one I wanted to say to Roger that you were just joking and being sarcastic but the wee smiley thing put me off and I thought 'maybe not'. But even at the second one I still thought you were joking so that's why I joked back. I wasn't offended in the least. But it's true that some things could be misconstrued. It also depends on what kind of day you've had or at what stage in the menopause you're at.
And me? I'd never argue with a Mod, a past mod or a would-be mod anyway! :wink:
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:54 am

Govangirl wrote: I'd never argue with a Mod :wink:

Better arguing with a Mod than a Rocker. :lol: