Craigard Nonsense

Welcome to the House of Fun- try our puzzles, questions and heid burstin teasers! Please add yours!

Craigard Nonsense

Postby ionnsaigh » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:25 pm

My Father and Mother where stationed in Campbeltown 1940-1942. LTN Commander M Donoghue ( special forces ) M.C. V.C. DCO First Class. I was the first baby born on that April day in 1942. My father was killed in action with the loss of HMS Clyde ( Submarine) in the North Atlantic on that very day.
The last baby born at graigard -was a boy- named M Donoghue whose Father a traveller from Dalintobber County Sligo. He was killed on the same day, he died of a racist attack in Greenock Prison -opposite the site where HMS Clyde was built.

:shock:
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby gizmo » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:15 pm

The story of HMSubmarine Clyde was one of total tragedy.. An opportunistic Japanese frogman knocked on the hatch in the conning tower and a young Irish seaman opened it to see who was there.. The frogmans oxygen tank ran out just off the northern coast of Barra, there have been regular sightings of him since but he still refuses to surrender. I believe the authorities tried to tempt him a couple of years ago with the smell of bacon sandwiches but to no avail..
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby EMDEE » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:29 pm

ionnsaigh wrote:My Father and Mother where stationed in Campbeltown 1940-1942. LTN Commander M Donoghue ( special forces ) M.C. V.C. DCO First Class. I was the first baby born on that April day in 1942. My father was killed in action with the loss of HMS Clyde ( Submarine) in the North Atlantic on that very day.
The last baby born at graigard -was a boy- named M Donoghue whose Father a traveller from Dalintobber County Sligo. He was killed on the same day, he died of a racist attack in Greenock Prison -opposite the site where HMS Clyde was built.

Apparently HMS Clyde was scrapped in 1946. Apparently it was built in Barrow, not the Clyde. :shock: :shock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Clyde_%28N12%29
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby general jack o'niell » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:11 pm

very interesting but knowing this forum theres bound to be someone who will take offence at it, you know how touchy some people can be, rascist comments about japanese and irish, you could get accused of being an ah so
general jack o'niell

Postby ionnsaigh » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:19 pm

HMS Clyde 11 - 1 was hush hush
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:44 pm

ionnsaigh wrote:HMS Clyde 11 - 1 was hush hush

Maybe you could learn a thing or two there then :roll: :lol: :lol:
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby general jack o'niell » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:59 pm

cutting, oh so sharp, don't think he'll take the hint tho, says he who is only outposted by the two that nobody will ever catch, i should talk!!!!

off topic but how do you get 11,000 posts when we only see about three a week, must be very busy private clubs that i for one am not worthy of being a member of. not that i'm complaining but they might be talking about insane and bill without them knowing about it because they don't know it exists, or am i just paranoid?
general jack o'niell

Postby Bitter End » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:21 am

Noo Chuckiebay whit wey are ye spierin aboot Snarly Boab ? many a haunfu o grevel Ah threw ontae his tin roof in the hope o improvin his temper. Ye wid be walkin doon the village jist wunderin whit b-ggarment tae git up tae an Nonah wid sey " a fine day fur throwin grevel ontae auld Snarly's roof" an it wid jist put ye richt in the mood for devilment an tae hell wi the consequencies--- chased up the cliff an well ower tae Torrisdale!!!
Twice through the eye o' the sun to lift it.
Bitter End
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:25 am

gizmo wrote:The story of HMSubmarine Clyde was one of total tragedy.. An opportunistic Japanese frogman knocked on the hatch in the conning tower and a young Irish seaman opened it to see who was there.. The frogmans oxygen tank ran out just off the northern coast of Barra, there have been regular sightings of him since but he still refuses to surrender. I believe the authorities tried to tempt him a couple of years ago with the smell of bacon sandwiches but to no avail..

It all brings back painful memories - the young Irishman was my Dad Mickey O'Donoghue - when he was growing up in County Sligo - he was always in trouble - leaving gates doors etc open - the big black bull affair shocked the hamlet and left him with a life long door problem - that alas - proved to be his downfall.
As far as that wee jap is concerned - how do you think I felt when on holiday last year on Barra - guests of the clan Campbell. I spotted the wee fecker scurrying aboot the shore - eating handfuls of seaweed. I shouted ya wee Japanese frick am gonny frick kill you. My hosts where shocked as it was during the Sunday afternoon stroll.
Aye ye can take the man oot a glesga -ye cannae take glesga oot the man.
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby general jack o'niell » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:47 pm

how did you get there on a sunday? and why weren't you on your knees praying or eating cold mutton cooked on the saturday, walking on a sunday is seen as enjoying yourself and thats not allowed, i know, i used to live besides a wee free church
general jack o'niell

Postby ionnsaigh » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:58 am

We where staying as guests of the clan chief Macneil ( Yankee). My wife has Island connections- her Mother was one of eight illegitimate children of the late priest Father Michael Frances Macneil . I was in the middle of a business deal - negotiations were at a delicate stage. I was selling one of my wife's kidneys. When I spied the wee jap frick. looking re markedly similar to that wee humph in the lord of the swings. A jist lost it completely . It wiz a sunday efternoon our hosts wur holy roman cathlicks . So we could walk an talk jist like a normal day.
Aye they wur shocked right enough - so wiz the handful o wee frees- eating yesterdays dinner wae the good book close by.
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re:

Postby Iain » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:57 pm

ionnsaigh wrote:My Father and Mother where stationed in Campbeltown 1940-1942. LTN Commander M Donoghue ( special forces ) M.C. V.C. DCO First Class. I was the first baby born on that April day in 1942. My father was killed in action with the loss of HMS Clyde ( Submarine) in the North Atlantic on that very day.

Wow !
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: Re:

Postby Swanseajock » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:37 am

Iain wrote:

Wow !

ionnsaigh, I am sure I am too late posting this, but I will anyway. As an ex-serviceman I hate Walts! Those are folk in the Walter Mitty calss who dream all sort of things. There are no M Donoghue recorded as MC or VC winners. The submarine HMS Clyde was decommisioned in 1946. Take your inane and insaen ramblings elsewhere please. You shame the memory of veterans from the Republic who served with valour and distinction during the World Wars.
And gizmo, how many Japanese frogmen were swimming about the West Coast of Scotland during the war? Never mind any time?
Swanseajock
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Re:

Postby Iain » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:49 am

Swanseajock wrote:
Iain wrote:

Wow !

ionnsaigh, I am sure I am too late posting this, but I will anyway. As an ex-serviceman I hate Walts! Those are folk in the Walter Mitty calss who dream all sort of things. There are no M Donoghue recorded as MC or VC winners. The submarine HMS Clyde was decommisioned in 1946. Take your inane and insaen ramblings elsewhere please. You shame the memory of veterans from the Republic who served with valour and distinction during the World Wars.
And gizmo, how many Japanese frogmen were swimming about the West Coast of Scotland during the war? Never mind any time?

Wow !
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: Craigard

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:10 am

Wow - I'm just amazed anyone took Ionns post seriously :)
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to House of fun