The Glasgow Apollo

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

The Glasgow Apollo

Postby LO » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:03 pm

If you are a music lover of a certain vintage, the mere mention of the late-lamented Glasgow Apollo should send shivers down your spine. If you were in the habit of travelling up from Kintyre to visit what was considered to be one of the finest live venues on the planet, you may be interested to know that award-winning author Martin Keilty has a new book coming out in November called Apollo Memories which lovingly documents the highs and lows of this much-loved Scottish institution and the memories of the myriad of bands that played there during the 70's and 80's (more information available at www.apollomemories.com).

Martin visited the area last weekend in his capacity as Manager of The Hugh Trowsers Band who blew everyone away up in Carradale last Saturday night. He also manages the reformed Sensational Alex Harvey Band (minus himself of course in case anyone asks) and wrote last year's acclaimed history of the band, SAHB Stories, which has helped rekindle a growing interest in their music.

Anyway, Martin and his good lady had a whale of a time in Carradale, and they are desperate for an excuse to come back. At the same time, he is planning his itinerary for the launch of Apollo Memories. If he thought there was some interest in this neck of the woods he would be very keen to have his publishers include Kintyre on his book signing schedule. He might even persuade a couple of the Hugh Trowsers guys to do an unplugged set as they are also looking for an excuse to come back pronto.

I said to Martin that I would stick this up to see if there is any interest from all you hoary old music lovers out there! Hopefully there will be. For starters what are you memories of visiting the Apollo? I've heard a few of the stories involving The Crofters but quite frankly they are too scurrilous and not fit for printing!

Les
LO
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby WC1 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:07 pm

Les - Many great memories of the Apollo, or Greens Playhouse as some of us will remember it. I was Stage Manager of the Pavilion across the road in the late 70s and spent quite a bit of time backstage at the Apollo, (and in the wee staff howff down in the bowels of the building). Jan Tomasik, who had the Putchecan Lodge here at one time, was general manager of the Apollo at that time and the great Alex Harvey's father was stage door keeper at the Pavilion. Was anyone else from the town at the Alice Cooper concerts circa 1972? That may have been just before the Playhouse became the Apollo. Or Lynyrd Skynyrd round about 1975? You can tell my tastes have changed somewhat over the years! Those were the days!
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Glasgow Appollo

Postby Frosty » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:41 pm

Nazareth , 10CC , Status Quo , Thin Lizzy , Rush , Gary Moore , Genesis and Sir Cliff Richard were among the bands that I had the pleasure of seeing at the Appollo.
New Years Eve 1979 / 1980 was spent on the road between Glasgow and the Wee Toon returning from a Blondie Concert .
Probably the best venue in the UK late 70s early 80s .
Great memories of the light reflecting of Phil Lynotts base Guitar travelling up to the third floor and the site of the second floor above my head rocking in motion to Status Quo , never a bad concert always a terrific noise from the crowd and so close to the front of the stage , untill they raised it to protect the Bay City Rollers ( who ever they were )
Regards
Frosty
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby LO » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:18 pm

WC1 wrote:You can tell my tastes have changed somewhat over the years! Those were the days!

Willie

Presumably you still take a little time out at the end of June each year to give "Schools Out" and "No More Mister Nice Guy" a quick blast?! ?

L
LO
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby general jack o'niell » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:55 am

:cry:
Last edited by general jack o'niell on Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
general jack o'niell

Postby the phone girl » Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:23 pm

I grew up in Glasgow and my crowd regularly tried to get into Clouds the nightclub attached to the Apollo where Slik were the resident band. Often we were rumbled as we were only 15 and ended the night at Shuffles. Went twice to see the BCR and loved it - was allowed to go with pals. Best remembered was SAHB in '75 and Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel in '77. Regularly went to the pictures there - used to go to watch the battles amongs the rival gangs, we were a bit brave then. A real shame when it closed. Used to skip school and go to Shaddows to watch bands in the afternoons. Anyone who knows me could always get me the book for my Christmas...... My uncle who was in the SPCA had to do duty at an Alice Cooper concert to ensue no livestock were harmed!!! He wouldn't take me and I wasn't allowed to go.
the phone girl
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby WC1 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:43 pm

Les

Presumably you still take a little time out at the end of June each year to give "Schools Out" and "No More Mister Nice Guy" a quick blast?! ?

Just as long as I'm not accused of being "just another brick in the wall"!!
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Drama Doll » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:53 pm

what a nice story "phone girl" ashame you were'nt allowed to go you would of had GREAT time rocking out as they would say in your time![/quote]
Drama Doll
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Apollo Memories

Postby MartinKielty » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:55 pm

Thanks for the introduction, Les!

It's a real shame I'd already finished the book before the Trumpton experience entered my life. After the Hugh Trowsers show I think I spent all night talking about the Apollo with dozens of people who had great stories to relate.

I'd kinda suspected there might be a strong Apollo support in the area. I know there was the obvious Holy Loch connection, with US servicemen taking the trip to see bands from home, and falling in love with Scotland at the same time. In Kintyre there's the McCartney connection, of course - must have had some effect, nezpa? There's a story in the book about the Campbeltown Pipe Band sitting in the Apollo foyer, and this Beatles fan hanging around in hope of Paul turning up. The guy he was with couldn't stand the Beatles and insisted they leave -- and much to the fan's chagrin, Mr McCartney did indeed show face moments later. (Same fan hang around Sir George Martin's village fair because he'd heard Sir George often invited stragglers back to his home. Just as his party was leaving the invitation blasted out from the tannoy. Lucky white heather...)

A friend of mine used to organise bus trips from Fife to the Apollo, mainly for blues and jazz shows for that was his interest. He and about two dozen of his close mates would make a night of it and call in sick the following day. I'm wondering if there are any similar Kintyre-flavour stories? Did anyone travel down with the Pipe Band? Is anyone out there who stood on the terrifying high sloping stage with the Glasgow choir in full voice before them? Did anyone pull the ticket-in-matchbox trick to get all their mates in?

(I have to admit for my part: I was never at the Apollo. I was 12 when it closed and came late to rock'n'roll. I was born the day SAHB played their first gig, which makes me exactly the same age as the band I manage, although the members are somewhat older! They call me Son of SAHB....)

Ch;M.
The Sensational Alex Harvey Band... the Hugh Trowsers band... Ernest... Gwyn Ashton... Gum... Robert T Leonard... www.noisewave.co.uk
MartinKielty
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to General Chit Chat