Duck Race

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

Duck Race

Postby Admin3 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:16 am

Remember it is the duck race in Carradale today! 8)

C'mon Bobbly Juck!
Admin
Admin3
Site Admin
Site Admin

So whose duck won?

Postby dgraves » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:37 pm

Whose duck won?

How did you do, Bobbly Juck? Who were you racing for? :D
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Who were the ducks racing for?

Postby dgraves » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:38 pm

Was the duck race for a fundraising? Many of Bobbly's cousins race every year here in the US for charities. It is a lot of fun- and a good money-maker. Everyone usually pays $5.00 for a numbered duck. There is a small prize at the end for a winner, but the large pot goes to a charity. Wondered if it was the same there?
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: So whose duck won?

Postby Bobbly Juck » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:33 am

dgraves wrote:Whose duck won?

How did you do, Bobbly Juck? Who were you racing for? :D

Well it's a long story Dorian, but the way things panned out, I didn't take part and so have no idea who won this year. See, I was waiting for the kindly hand to take us all out of the cupboard, put us in the hessian sack and head off to the bridge. Too late, I realised that I was alone and caught in a Bochan trap. The smell of an old wulk pock made me retch as I bumped along, but I was determined I wouldn't be cowed by the brutes who had carried me off. I could hear there excited chatter and laughter but had no idea what was going on outside the confines of the canvas bag.

Finally, I saw daylight when I was tipped out on to a flat surface and ordered to dance. I realised with horror that I was on top of one of Gary's bins on Sally's Walk. Their fetid breath was in my face and I thought that the end had come.

Then a strange thing happened. The sound of feet and jingling metal was heard through the trees and suddenly two men appeared. One was a big rockstar looking dude with leather trowsers and plenty of zips, big boots and a fancy bandana thing, shades and a funny beard. The other was smaller and was sporting what looked like the remnants of a dinner suit and a strange cap bearing some legend about Crieff Cricket Club.

The Wee Guy couldn't keep up the pace and was shouting "Hoi Krippen! It was a walk I said, not a canter. Slow down it's too fast I want to last all night. At this rate I'll be knackered before the gig. "

The Bochans were off and running and before you could say Sam Brown, I found myself lying on top of the keech collector for all to see.

To cut a long story short, the wee guy was the singer in the Hugh Trowsers Band and the big one was the drummer.

To cut an even longer story shorter, these guys rescued me from my plight and we got talking. Turns out they knew all about me and my reputation as a Tunnag Shrink and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. So the upshot is I have moved to Muthill in Perthshire where I feel that I fit in already. The Trowsers Boys pay me a handsome retainer to be on call for band duties and I get three months a year on location with Krippen in his adopted home in Tipperaray.

I will of course keep training and even if this works out for me The Hugh Trowsers Band have promised to take me back to Dippen for next year's race. Until then, I have pastures new to explore, a book to write and a left-field documentary to make, so I had better beat the dust .

Tattie Scone, Amigos! :wink:
Last edited by Bobbly Juck on Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's nae water under the bridge!
Bobbly Juck
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Re: Who were the ducks racing for?

Postby LO » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:37 am

dgraves wrote:Was the duck race for a fundraising? Many of Bobbly's cousins race every year here in the US for charities. It is a lot of fun- and a good money-maker. Everyone usually pays $5.00 for a numbered duck. There is a small prize at the end for a winner, but the large pot goes to a charity. Wondered if it was the same there?

Similar setup but organised by the local church as a fundraiser.
Even if you don't win a prize, the barbecue is exceptional - prime seafood and lamb plus the finest home baking etc. Well worth your flight!

L
LO
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby dgraves » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:28 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bobbly, I know it wasn't funny at the time, but as a duck shrink you can store up this experience to help others combat the dreaded Bochan menace and other creatures that go 'bump' in the night :shock: .

As bad as it was it sounds like you have you psyche intact, especially if you've been hired by the band! Will you be the resident band shrink (hopefully not due to any psychedelia)? Or have they cast you as a band member playing an instrument? Ahhh.. You did say you would be making a documentary. Now that would be interesting- especially from your point of view! I hope you will share it :lol:

Hopefully you will take a laptop with you on the road. I for one would like to hear of your adventures. You could do weekly installments- we'd never tell 8) !

Good fortune-
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Duck race

Postby dgraves » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:34 pm

Your duck race sounds to be a lot more elaborate than the ones I've been to ( and more fun!), Les. September is about the time I was thinking of coming over. It would be like diving in 'head first' into the community :lol: !
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to General Chit Chat