Carradale

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

Yes Slanted one, Bochan Mor returns.

Postby Bochan Mor » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:23 pm

sonofaslant wrote:So! Bochan Mor returns....... If it is really you (and I have my doubts) be in no dobut that The Crofters will hunt you and your cohorts through the heather to the ends of the earth and this time they will catch you. It will be a cage at the Network Centre and a documentary on some obscure satellite channel for you lot - how the mighty will have fallen. :twisted:

As for your posting, I have chewed it over, and initially thought that it could not possilby be that the seemingly placid goat is indeed "The One" that turned dark hair snow white at the Narachan. However, I have been at the end of my tether since you planted this thought in my mind (but that is what Bochan's do is it not?) and now I'm just not sure at all.

Is the goat's cover blown or is this some misundersanding born of Bochan-induced paranoia?

Trouble is, the only one who can tell us definitively is The Goat himself and who is going to believe him now that the seeds of doubt are sown?

Yes Slanted one, Bochan Mor returns, not alone, indeed with more strength than ever. Recruitment levels have been high within the Bochan population, to such an extent that we are now a thriving clan.

If the truth be known, we were never really far away. You see the problem with the crofters has always been the same; they are always looking for a slant, never thinking on stemming the weather. They forget to look right under their noses. Now that I've secured more permanant accommodation, I may as well let the cat out the bag. The Bochans have been living among the long tails at the head of the Quay, not on the Quay, but under it. I can tell you it is damn sore on the hands & knees scrambling up their in the dark. It brought a whole new meaning to 'All Crooch'!

We've had wild work on the fishermen.: Who do you think has been untying the cod-end strings, loosening the shackles on the sweeps, loosening the springs on the dredges, deleting marks from their plotters and best yet, remarking their trawl wires and loosening trawl doors as the Slants sit like spatchcocks and puddocks, supping ale of hops in the Crubhan.

We've been at it for years: Sneaking doon below and swapping labels on the tinned food, drinking the condensed milk and Dunsade, even breaking the bakers hardest water biscuits into crumbs. Knocking the bottom out of the fish boxes was always good for a laugh, especially when you half sorted them and placed them neatly back in their pocket in the hold.

Mind you, sometimes somebody else has beaten us to it. We thought somebody was trying to get their own back on us by smearing all sorts on the brake and clutch handles of the winches. ................the aroma lingered for days afterwards! Could old beardie have had a hoof in this one?

One things for sure, it wasnay us that used to let Joey the sheep out of her field night after night and set up a home for her and her offspring in the bus shelter. The Bochans would never have wasted a Portnastorm clam supper on a hooved beast. Who could that have been then. I don't think that you would need to look too hard for clues!

It's been an easy life really, with the crofters leaving a plentiful supply of clams, prawns & fish within easy reach at the end of the quay. We're no so keen on the spoots that they have been leaving of late, but thank god they've given up the buckie whelks, because they were like pure poison to us Bochans. What ever happened to the beautiful herring. We had a right gloss on our skins when we used to gorge on them. Fuel hasn't been a problem either. Coal and diesel have always been readily available, but some of the posher Bochans have even got gas fires, now that coal is harder to come by.

We're hoping that the farmers of the sea will settle in the village, securing a source of good protein. We've noted that there's not many fishermen with the native cunning of the Slants left skippering boats from the village. At the risk of offending the cloven hooved fella from the Narachan Burn, this might not bode well for the long term viability of the harbour. Indeed, maybe the time has come to call in the yachts. Think of the scope the Bochans could have with the yachties.

The Goatee claims he's fond of a bit of mischief, maybe he would join in the devilment. He could pull the yacht halyards on a calm night and waken those Slants that dwell at the head of the quay. Just think of the crack, hiding a few spoots in amongs their sails, or even scutching a few old gleshans into their cockpits as they sleep. Are you nibbling at the rope yet?

I'm sure no one would notice. Who would tell? Besides, let he without sin, cast the first boulder! and another, then another!
Bochan Mor (Son of Bochan Morar)

Copyright: Bochan Mor & less of his Cohorts at the Monument
Bochan Mor
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby LO » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:15 am

From The Carradale Goat (2/4/05):

"Does anybody know what the Police helicopter has been doing over Carradale the last few days" ?

Looking for Bochans perhaps? :D
LO
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Kintyre Lad » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:46 am

I have heard of 'I'll put the bochan on you' etc.

So what exactly is a Bochan?

And can someone else enlighten me into what all the post or is it just Carradrolliness?! :shock:

:P
Kintyre Lad
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Bochan Mor » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:17 am

LO wrote:From The Carradale Goat (2/4/05):

"Does anybody know what the Police helicopter has been doing over Carradale the last few days" ?

Looking for Bochans perhaps? :D

Aye they can look all they want with their helicopters and sniffer doags. We Bochans walk among you but you'll never see us, even with your fancy thermal imaging.

Your only chance is when we're tempted to slip into a sportsjacket perhaps.

However, on a moon-lit still night, when the hoolets are calling and the bats are diving at your heid at Wals corner, and the beasts in Escart field are nervous, you'll feel a cold shiver run down the length of your spine and realise that you are in the presence of greatness!

Bochanitis is about to re-explode in the village, and might even reach the giddy heights of the 1930s. Which one of the 9 wanabees holds the secret.

Look them all in the eye and recite: 'My father was eaten by owls'

See if you can spot the hoolet. Be careful how you vote!

Bochan Mor
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby LO » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:13 pm

[quote="Kintyre Lad"]I have heard of 'I'll put the bochan on you' etc.

Don't know if this helps? It is part of a translation of a Gaelic song from Cape Breton. Some of the little hairy ones apparently left these shores with the emigrants.......

Johnny Tulloch

Johnny Tulloch agus Mary
agus Iain Alex Rory
Angus Hector, Mary Sarah,
Archie Dan, Alex Joe
Little Johnny Dougal agus
Theresa Duncan Peter
All piled in a wagon for
a dance in Glencoe
Well they barrelled down
the back roads
By the farmhouse and the pasture
They barrelled down the back roads
Where the bochans wouldn't go
Sipped a little dealach just to
get the diddle flowing
Sang a gaelic song there was no radio
LO
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Bochan Mor » Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:39 pm

LO wrote:
Kintyre Lad wrote:I have heard of 'I'll put the bochan on you' etc.

Don't know if this helps? It is part of a translation of a Gaelic song from Cape Breton. Some of the little hairy ones apparently left these shores with the emigrants.......

Johnny Tulloch

Johnny Tulloch agus Mary
agus Iain Alex Rory
Angus Hector, Mary Sarah,
Archie Dan, Alex Joe
Little Johnny Dougal agus
Theresa Duncan Peter
All piled in a wagon for
a dance in Glencoe
Well they barrelled down
the back roads
By the farmhouse and the pasture
They barrelled down the back roads
Where the bochans wouldn't go
Sipped a little dealach just to
get the diddle flowing
Sang a gaelic song there was no radio

After the last rout here in Carradale, some of the Bochans moved to more exotic locations. Try these websites: http://home.hawaii.rr.com/bochansurf/ http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_394521.html?menu=& http://community.webshots.com/user/bo_bochan
&

Maybe these fellas can tell you more of our hidden past

Bochan Mor
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Sanyanya » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:24 pm

As a regular camper in Carradale during the 60s & 70s, I have to say that I go along with much of what your correspondent Bochan Mor has to say.

I remember the Dunsade well, but from memory most folk used to drink Lucozade. It was quite unusal, as the small shop at the pier sold small bottles that required a bottle opener or a strong set of molars. Unfortunately I had neither.

The shops in Carradale in those days were amazing. You had the pristine D. Campbells at one end, and then the pier shop with hip-hop music blaring as the visitors watched the herring boats head out at dusk. The bakers shop had a small store between the main door and the Post Office. My brother and I used to sneak off with the odd potato for roasting at the fire. What a tan we had in those days, most of it from the fire that my father kept going day and night.

Oh to be back in the Carradale of yesteryear.
Strip the Willow was a trade long before the devil turned it into a dance!

Sanyanya
Sanyanya
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby The Gamekeeper » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:43 pm

[quote="Sanyanya"]
My brother and I used to sneak off with the odd potato for roasting at the fire. quote]

Aye, and that's not all your faimly took you bleggard !

Let's not beat about the bush - Your faither ate my bantams

If I wance get a grip o' you, as the other man said, Ah'll make a Bochan o' ye............ :twisted:
The Gamekeeper
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Facism in Carradale (Hoot aboot those Bantams)

Postby Bochan Mor » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:23 pm

Aye the bantams!

The truth is that the Bochans chased them under the postie's bike. Deng all but squawks & feathers! the so called culprits had picked them up dead, indeed plucked and ready to roast in the fire!

The Game-Keeper had come up from the stepping stones and met the accused running for the cover of the whins. Obviously put 2 & 3 together and came up with scrambled egg. I mean, why bother with bantams when there were fine big hens running aboot at Achnasavil, and if you were feeling lazy, a plentiful supply of turnips and spuds in the Bay Field. It jeest doesn't add up.

Aye talking of horses, the big race tomorrow is more important. Charlie will finally saddle up his trusty stead, as she gets the bit between her teeth.

A damn big crop across both their .......... What do ya think?

I mind there was an old Bochan who spent so much time aloft his horse, that he decided to marry the mare. It was a splendid wedding, better than a Tarbert funeral, but the end of a perfect relationship. Charlie Boy should take heed. Horses are definitely better sport on the track than in the paddock.

Infact all this horsey talk has put me in the notion. Word has it that the Crofters are heading to the races at Ayr as a cover for an illicit drinking spree. Its not just the Crofters currently domiciled in Trumpton, but ex-Pats, keen to return to the haunts of their youth. The Rock & Park Bar better stand by. A couple of 40 something rock-chicks are quite liable to clamber onto the tables to conduct an impromptu rendition of the Shoals of Herrin.

I'll maybe hide in with the spare wheel of the mini-bus and pull droll faces at the cars behind. Alternatively I could stay in the village with the rest of the Bochans and run amock in the absence of the young crofters. We'll just need to make sure that we don't get spotted acting the goat!

Bochan Mor
Active Poster
Active Poster

Class

Postby Ship called Dignity » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:26 pm

More! More! More! :lol:
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ranald » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:27 pm

:mrgreen: braw
Ranald
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Malky » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:33 pm

This is the stuff legends are made of :lol: 8)

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Easy Boys

Postby Bochan Mor » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:43 pm

Easy Boys,

Us older Bochans canna concentrate for too long at any one time. Besides, Mrs Bochan's wondering what the hell I'm up to, sneaking into the Goat's hoose and playing with his computer.

Meanwhile the young Bochans are running amock over in the Glen, maybe even pulling the goatees leg!

Here, I'll need to go, here comes Mrs Goat!

Bochan Mor
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Easy Boys

Postby Malky » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:58 pm

Bochan Mor wrote:Here, I'll need to go, here comes Mrs Goat!

If that's the Mrs Goat I know, you'd better be careful :)

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Thewetman » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:56 pm

Aye, who would have thought that the wee folk o’ Kintyre were so numerous, never since the Broonie left the shores o’ the Largiside have I heard talk o’ the Broachan. Broonie is now with the Trows of Orkney, they give a clue to the nature and form of Brochan Mor and his Kin.

Speakin o local folklore - Malky do you know anything of the lyrics to the renowned ballads once heard in the Tayinloan Inn crafted by the Millar’s o’ Auchnafad when we were young.

The one’s I remember bits of start

(to the tune of Westering Home)“Nae body need to depend on McBraynes, Western Ferries are crossin’ the mains………………….”

and the one aboot that laudable import from Skye, Callum Ski (to the tune of Mull to the Pentland Skerries)

“When the mist comes ower Largie and Callum canna see……………. You’ll never see a thinner man inside a dungaree, purrage his breakfast and purrage fur his tea…………..
Thewetman
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

PreviousNext

Return to General Chit Chat