Carradale

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

Re: Carradale

Postby Tosh » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:54 pm

dadatisobels80th_sm.jpg
dadatisobels80th_sm.jpg (61.54 KiB) Viewed 32313 times
dadharbour_sm.jpg
dadharbour_sm.jpg (108.43 KiB) Viewed 32313 times

It is with great sadness that I have to tell you that my father John McIntosh, known to some as John The Bank, died peacefully in the early hours of Monday morning at the Royal Alexandra hospital in Paisley.

There will be a service and cremation at Paisley crematorium on Tuesday August 2nd at 4PM
Welcome...
Back to the circus...
Tosh
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ticketty Boo! » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:28 pm

Nearly a year since the last post :-(

Can anybody offer any theories on how the Burma Road and Hill 60 got their names? I know Hill Hill 60 was a battle in WW1 near Ypres https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of ... tern_Front), but how did the name transfer to Trumpton?
Ye'll huv hud yer tea?
Ticketty Boo!
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby petewick » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:48 pm

I think Hill 60 was so called because 60 was the average age of the residents up there....??
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby SARID » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:49 pm

I was brought up in the village and was always told Woodside was nicknamed 'Burma Road' because of ill feeling etc over housing allocations.'Hill 60'-----World War 1 battle------- again given that nickname because of neighbours being at loggerheads
SARID
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ship called Dignity » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:40 pm

Just had a read through this - what a legendary thread! C'mon - lets get the famous Carradale thread going again! :lol: :lol:
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bochan Mor » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:56 pm

It’s needing some oatmeal to dip the herring in. I wonder if there’s any at the shop at the hall?
Bochan Mor (Son of Bochan Morar)

Copyright: Bochan Mor & less of his Cohorts at the Monument
Bochan Mor
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ship called Dignity » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:30 pm

Bochan Mor wrote:It’s needing some oatmeal to dip the herring in. I wonder if there’s any at the shop at the hall?

Oatmeal or Herring? :D

The legendary Bochan Mor - where have you been? :D
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bochan Mor » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:24 am

Ach Dignity, I slipped off a green stepping stone crossing the burn and was in wild pain, reminded me of the time Mrs Bochan came off her bike at the cattle grid. My laptop ended up in the river and I was under the care of Dr Snoddy until very recently.

I’m back up and running now (Well limping), so hopefully I can keep myself on my feet!

Bochan Mor
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Bitter End » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:15 pm

Aye - ' green steppin stone ' ma erse , faur faur tae much o thon Scowder Broth ye were sinkin doon at the Bear Rock as tho ther wis nae tomorow an then skippin up the side o the burn as tho ye were on the White Heather Club wi yer auld pals . Aye yer shenanagans wir seen richt enough - - an the stramash as ye wint through Waterfit wis jist a pure disgrace. Steppin Stanes ? Ye wir pirouette'n oan tap o the breakwaater thinkin ye wis the leed in yon Swan Lake ! - - - till ye couped - - Puir puir Snoddy haein tae listen tae yer haverin an drivlin gibberish . Tis a ful 1/2 stone o oatmeal yer needing spooned intae ye dry ; tae soak up the slavers !
Twice through the eye o' the sun to lift it.
Bitter End
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bochan Mor » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:36 pm

Ach Bitter End, you don't seem to be able to get a decent pin head oatmeal these days. It was always much better boiling the starch out of the brochan for hours before rattling it down your thrapple with the cream from the top of the milk.

Scouders are now viewed by the press as alien creatures that somehow swim up and attack the odd doag on the beach and we have a couple of generations passed through the wee school who never saw burning in the water and the only scales to be seen are in the bathroom and generally testing the springs to their limit!

I dare say since the herring took off that there is less demand for the Piper's oatmeal, and anyway, how many folk would even know what to do with a bucket of herring these days? Oatmeal now comes in plastic cartons waiting to froth up and spill all over the mircowave and sweetened to suit a platoon of redcoats! Maybe there's still a stash of the good stuff in the back of the bakehouse??

The same goes for the gallons of vinegar that used to go into potting the silver darlings all around the village.

Damn all but wristlet watches and mobile phones these days and very few knives and mending needles!!

Bochan Mor
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Koog » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:58 pm

What a fantastic thread :)
Just spent a couple hours reading through it here in Cheyenne, Wyoming.
I can't even remember how I ended up finding it now. :lol:
Have a great Christmas everyone.
Koog
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Previous

Return to General Chit Chat