Two Weeks in Kintyre

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

bakbjerg

Postby the ringmaster » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:24 pm

Im sure if you relocate here life will be fantastic as you can see by the members on this forum we are the most reasonable, freindly, helpfull, trustworthy, generous people god ever created.
ps and the best liars......... :twisted:
the ringmaster
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Malky » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:09 pm

TBH I don't think you can judge this area by what is posted on this forum. Only a small percentage of local residents even know about this forum and a tiny percentage actually post on here. The comments on this board are more like the conversation you would hear in a pub. By the way, it's a pity the original topic got hijacked.

John S, I dont think we need another forum for politics, a topic in Speakers Corner would be fine.

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bubbly jock » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:11 pm

I think it is wise to be wary of immigrants. This modern phenomenon of "working from home" is rife up here. The nearest they get to being part of the community is late nights in the crubin and getting out their bed after the clock strikes noon to look out the window at the real locals going back to work after dinner time.

Barbie jerk surely you're not going to be motivated into uprooting your family to move here on what is written on threads in a forum. Over a thousand views and only fourteen posters and 70% of those don't even live here. Christ man, even the Texas Ranger has her tuppence worth in. One poster has even put his probable location as a toon bar! Hardly representative of the 5000 who live on the peninsula.

I am all for interviewing the would be invaders at Redhoose. After all, the islanders don't mess when it comes to this invasion. They interview all settlers before the Pickfords van is unloaded. Mind you the interviews could be lengthy when it comes to the Englanders. Their motto being "why use twenty words when 2000 will suffice"

My outlook towards all visitors "nice to see you, nicer to see you go" Thank God they haven't started to buy up the henhooses yet. We'll need somewhere for the younger generation to live

bubbly
bubbly jock

Postby ionnsaigh » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:51 am

Hi Mick, You answer my questions like the politicians you despise. Come on now? Where in the world past or present would you compare your ideal Scottish Peoples Republic to? China? Korea perhaps?[/quote]

Despise is a fairly strong term to use. I have never implied that to the Politicians - rather the system that creates career egotistic individuals. An ideal can only be comparatively compared to other ideals, as it is a relative concept. My primary concerns lie with Poor. The Poverty of People in general and the Poverty of the Scottish People in particular. If we as a society wish to lay slender claim to civilisation- then in order to achieve this, we as a People must address the conditions that hamper our progress to a civil society. Why should a small number of People have too much - Why should a large number have too little. The Millions of Poor People dying from hunger in Africa- The Thousands that die in this wealthy country - due to long term neglect. My Family will die years before those of Middle and Upper Class Families. We will lead comparatively narrow uneducated uninspiring lives- a unjust and premature death awaits. So Aye am bloody angry, and have declared war on such a system that serves the few at the expense of the many. On a personal level this stance has caused many hardships and arguments throughout our struggle, as I have previously stated I own nothing - no house - no car- no furniture- the Government own the TV. my tiny collection of Cd's etc etc, They the Government have also created the conditions that have excluded my right to vote. To me the SNP offer only a slightly Scottish modified version of the system that causes so much harm in the world today. I don't know perhaps I am Mad- some sort of foolish romantic that dreamed of a better world where People where loved and cared for.
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby John S » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:32 am

But Mick There are good examples of countries with political systems similar to ours who turn the emphasis to the advantage of the poor and the population in general, by getting the balance right and adopting policy complimentary to nature of the people.

I watched on TV the other night, a piece comparing the prison system in Finland to here. Re offending in Finland is one in three prisoners released here it is two in three. Prison population here is 14 in every 1000 adults in Finland its 7. Crime is much less as a result.

If we in Scotland can take the positive aspects of our culture, heritage, mindset, entrepreneurisim and the like, and build a state, which will allow these aspects to flourish, we will have a society very different to the one we live in today. I really believe this is achievable through the existing political system.
John S
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby The Hitman » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:52 pm

TITLE OF THREAD - Two weeks in Kintyre.

LATEST POST - The Finnish Criminal System? :shock: :roll: :shock:
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?
The Hitman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby John S » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:34 pm

The Hitman wrote:TITLE OF THREAD - Two weeks in Kintyre.

LATEST POST - The Finnish Criminal System? :shock: :roll: :shock:

When there's a vacancy for a mod, we'll let you know. :twisted:
John S
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby THE DODGER » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:14 pm

NOTHING WORSE THAN SOMEONE THINKING THEIR POLITCAL MIND IS THE RIGHT CHOICE FOR ALL.SO JOHN STOP PLUGGING YOUR POLITICAL VIEWS AND STICK TO PLUGGING YOUR BREAD MAKER IN :oops:
THE DODGER
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby ionnsaigh » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:35 am

John S wrote:But Mick There are good examples of countries with political systems similar to ours who turn the emphasis to the advantage of the poor and the population in general, by getting the balance right and adopting policy complimentary to nature of the people.

I watched on TV the other night, a piece comparing the prison system in Finland to here. Re offending in Finland is one in three prisoners released here it is two in three. Prison population here is 14 in every 1000 adults in Finland its 7. Crime is much less as a result.

If we in Scotland can take the positive aspects of our culture, heritage, mindset, entrepreneurisim and the like, and build a state, which will allow these aspects to flourish, we will have a society very different to the one we live in today. I really believe this is achievable through the existing political system.

The central core of my point appears to have shifted from economics to politics. Politics may be an important ingredient however it remains of secondary consideration- the fuel as opposed to the engine. The principal objective of business is to make money by profit. In order to achieve this business recognises a number of requirements. To increase production and to attempt to decrease the cost of production. This antagonistic contradiction remains at the heart of the Capitalist expansion, regardless of attempts to reform the unreformable.In other words no balance can exist between antagonistic contradictions. Why accept the unacceptable- attempt to modify- There is no centre of gravity in Morality. No third way.
The Republic will see- recognise the link between Poverty and Crime, and by removing the former- we will change the latter, in other words turn down the gas and remove the kettle.Prison shall be a place of confinement and rehabilitation. The length of confinement would determined by nature of the crime committed. The Maximum sentence the state could declare would unfortunately be both for society and the individual - be life. This would be in very exceptional circumstances. Workers in places of detention would be subjected to Public scrutiny. There would be no maltreatment of detainees, this will not be tolerated. With the recognition and subsequent removal of causation - the Republic would hope that the detention population would drastically reduce as would be the former need of Society to revert to incarcerate Citizens of that society. The Republics collective recognition that any civil society would be judged in terms of the numbers of those detained. All trials would be held in public and televised- each citizen could if they wished exercise their Democratic Right and vote in the absence of any form of Judge.Your last point. Well I can only agree with your sentiments- however the distinction between the engine and fuel remains.
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sweltered » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:43 am

ionnsaigh wrote:
John S wrote:But Mick There are good examples of countries with political systems similar to ours who turn the emphasis to the advantage of the poor and the population in general, by getting the balance right and adopting policy complimentary to nature of the people.

The central core of my point appears to have shifted from economics to politics. Politics may be an important ingredient however it remains of secondary consideration- the fuel as opposed to the engine. The principal objective of business is to make money by profit. In order to achieve this business recognises a number of requirements. To increase production and to attempt to decrease the cost of production. This antagonistic contradiction remains at the heart of the Capitalist expansion, regardless of attempts to reform the unreformable.In other words no balance can exist between antagonistic contradictions. Why accept the unacceptable- attempt to modify- There is no centre of gravity in Morality. No third way.
The Republic will see- recognise the link between Poverty and Crime, and by removing the former- we will change the latter, in other words turn down the gas and remove the kettle.Prison shall be a place of confinement and rehabilitation. The length of confinement would determined by nature of the crime committed. The Maximum sentence the state could declare would unfortunately be both for society and the individual - be life. This would be in very exceptional circumstances. Workers in places of detention would be subjected to Public scrutiny. There would be no maltreatment of detainees, this will not be tolerated. With the recognition and subsequent removal of causation - the Republic would hope that the detention population would drastically reduce as would be the former need of Society to revert to incarcerate Citizens of that society. The Republics collective recognition that any civil society would be judged in terms of the numbers of those detained. All trials would be held in public and televised- each citizen could if they wished exercise their Democratic Right and vote in the absence of any form of Judge.Your last point. Well I can only agree with your sentiments- however the distinction between the engine and fuel remains.

You seem to want everything decided in the manner of Pop Idol. As for every citizen excercising their right to vote, you run the risk of people voting without having a grasp of the facts. People would vote based on what they see on TV, or printed in the SUN, or are you going to censor that, and have a state run tv station, showing only what the State wants you to see? I certainly wouldn't want my fate decided by the hoipaloi, based on my haircut, or the kind of trainers I wear.
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby John S » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:37 pm

THE DODGER wrote:NOTHING WORSE THAN SOMEONE THINKING THEIR POLITCAL MIND IS THE RIGHT CHOICE FOR ALL.SO JOHN STOP PLUGGING YOUR POLITICAL VIEWS AND STICK TO PLUGGING YOUR BREAD MAKER IN :oops:

I don't think I ever suggested that dodger, I certainly don't think it. If I choose to offer opinions on how things could be better for people in this community who are you to stop me? If you don't like it - don’t read it.

If you don't like other people reading it, offer an alternative!
John S
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Christian » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:55 pm

Hear hear!
~The Flying Dutchman~
Christian
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby ionnsaigh » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:09 pm

Sweltered wrote:
ionnsaigh wrote:

You seem to want everything decided in the manner of Pop Idol. As for every citizen excercising their right to vote, you run the risk of people voting without having a grasp of the facts. People would vote based on what they see on TV, or printed in the SUN, or are you going to censor that, and have a state run tv station, showing only what the State wants you to see? I certainly wouldn't want my fate decided by the hoipaloi, based on my haircut, or the kind of trainers I wear.

Pop Idol, if you mean by using modern technology as a fairer and more accurate method of voting- I don't really know where your problem lies with this. As far as running the risk of People voting -who in your words don't have a grasp of the facts- what can I say other that that is the nature of Democracy- you either have faith in the judgement of others or you don't, my faith lies firmly in the hands of the People. As Ive previously stated the media will be free, critical and have an independent mandate based on the freedom of speech. There will be no censorship. Citizens of the new Republic would wear whatever they wanted-grow your hair- have it cut- so what- the Republic will value and see the beauty of diversity. All negative forms of discrimination would be subjected to objective analysis- identified and removed. People of all races would be encouraged, by the shining example of our democratic system and the freedom of our Peoples, to live full rich rewarding lives. Scotland tomorrow has the opportunity to have written the history- not only of the Celts- but the Peoples of this our one and precious World.
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sweltered » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:05 pm

Pop Idol, if you mean by using modern technology as a fairer and more accurate method of voting- I don't really know where your problem lies with this. As far as running the risk of People voting -who in your words don't have a grasp of the facts- what can I say other that that is the nature of Democracy- you either have faith in the judgement of others or you don't, my faith lies firmly in the hands of the People. As Ive previously stated the media will be free, critical and have an independent mandate based on the freedom of speech. There will be no censorship. Citizens of the new Republic would wear whatever they wanted-grow your hair- have it cut- so what- the Republic will value and see the beauty of diversity. All negative forms of discrimination would be subjected to objective analysis- identified and removed. People of all races would be encouraged, by the shining example of our democratic system and the freedom of our Peoples, to live full rich rewarding lives. Scotland tomorrow has the opportunity to have written the history- not only of the Celts- but the Peoples of this our one and precious World.

I meant voting not for what is right or best, but what they are TOLD is right or best. The hair thing was a suggestion that peoples fate could be decided on if they had a nice haircut, not whether they were guilty or not. You wouldn't need censorship, the views of the puppetmasters would be expressed throught he most popular newspapers and tv shows, and the viewers/readers would vote as told, albeit subliminally. I watched a tv show last night, where all the kids with brown eyes were told they were stupid for a morning, their test scores droppped dramatically, they believed they were stupid and acted accordingly, where they were told that they were the best and most intelligent, the following morning, their results improved. This was repeated with college students, with the same results. People tend to do what they are told.
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:59 pm

I'm getting dizzy.
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to General Chit Chat