Forum Death?

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

Forum Death?

Postby lochend » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:46 pm

Has the forum finally given up the ghost? Are people afraid to post because of the flak? Perhaps many of the posters who threatened to leave have been as good as their word? Maybe out of towners and expats have been made to feel unwelcome? Shame. :( :(
lochend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Forum Death?

Postby Shona » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:00 pm

Well, I've been seriously ill, so have been quiet for a while. Have to say that some of the exchanges I have read doing my catch-up on what I missed were verging on trolling. Hardly welcoming to new users.

I tend to post in the Genealogy section. I appreciate family history isn't everyone's dram of choice, but many people do enjoy finding out who their ancestors were. For time to time, there are comments about how boring Genealogy is. Again not welcoming to new users. There are sections which aren't of interest to me, but I wouldn't criticise people who get enjoyment from them.

I'll get off my high horse now!
Last edited by Shona on Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Tricky2 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:04 pm

Welcome back Shona.I enjoy reading your discoveries,find it very interesting.
Tricky2
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Govangirl » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:01 pm

Firstly, I hope you have recovered and are okay now Shona X

Secondly, to answer the thread question, I came away from the forum because there was not much happening. I still popped in now and again and actually Shona I found the genealogy section really interesting even though I knew none of the families involved. I did start posting again because there's no other place else I could discuss Formula One but the pettiness, childish comments and PSYCHO BANTER did me in. There were some good threads like the one about returning to the town and what was different about it and some other attempts at worthwhile discussion but all in, it wasn't enough to overcome some of the contributions by - sorry, have a go if you like - absolute bampots that just peddle $h!te :evil:
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:23 pm

My reason for shying away from the forum are two fold.Firstly I was rushed into hospital last year for a heart procedure, and was told by the surgeon that I was a lucky man.Made me think about a lot of things in the days and weeks after. I found I just didn't have the will to come on to the forum any more to be heckled and called names, to have meanings put into words that were never there, to have things twisted .I was not one for keeping quiet and did get involved when saying nothing would have been the better option.But that's not me. Like someone once said in a post, if things said on the forum were said face to face it would lead to more than one invite outside to get it settled.
Secondly the forum is a shadow of what it once was,but that 's not to say it cannot be once more. There was fun to be had,alongside local news and interesting facts to learn about the town and surrounding area in the history thread.
Brilliant posters like General Jack, Sheik Yir Erse,WC1,Emdee,Petewick and Sweltered are a few that come to mind.

Returning to the thread topic ,the forum is not dead , it just needs posts on subjects that other members will find interesting enough to reply and not feel that they will be ridiculed( the slurry spreading post for example).
As for out of towners and expats not being made welcome, that is just ridiculous .The way I see it is that some people make themselves unwelcome.
Going back to my health,don't think I am invalided,far from it.I have been on three foreign holidays this year , with one more next month,and of course my trip back home a few weeks ago.

One wee thing to my sparring partner GovanGirl..........everything I posted in the Margaret Thatcher thread was a wind up. :wink:
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby lochend » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:14 am

Bill,glad to hear you are better.I have no wish to relight the fire but references WERE made to outsiders not being welcome on the forum and certain individuals were checking people's index info to count their number of posts and references made to where they lived and how often they had been to the town! That's OK, I can take care of myself but then for ME to be accused of bullying was hard to swallow! Anyway we move on. NB. my earlier references to words of wisdom from elder statesmen referred to the common sense interjections from WC1. Hope you enjoy your visit,I envy you. BTW I have still not located a decent frontal picture of Kinloch Place!
lochend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Govangirl » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:08 am

First of all, I am very glad you had a good recovery Bill and I so agree that something like this changes your attitude. My husband had the same thing happen a few years ago when he was only 54 and having never being ill in his life he took it badly but with a few stents and statins, he totally recovered and changed his mindset. So well done you.

bill wrote:Secondly the forum is a shadow of what it once was,but that 's not to say it cannot be once more.:

Quite right!!! Cheers to that!

bill wrote:
One wee thing to my sparring partner GovanGirl..........everything I posted in the Margaret Thatcher thread was a wind up. :wink:

As if I'd believe that!!!!!! :wink: And I'll tell you, if you really do love that woman, I have a very grudging admiration for your tenacity against the rabble!!!! :lol: :lol:

Anyway, I'm looking forward to more interesting posts now if folk take up your gauntlet.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby MPR » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:05 pm

I am hoping that the death of the forum is not imminent, I enjoy all that has been said and all that will be said in the future. I think that its a valuable source of info for locals as well as visitors.I don't post much but enjoy everything I read, whether its an area of interest to me or not.
I enjoy the genealogy, the history and would like to see some more local news, not just of CN but of Kintyre, there must be more out there in this regard besides what the courier prints.
MPR
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby petewick » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:43 pm

Like Bill I was seriously ill in the early part of the year, a five week stay in the Golden Jubilee and Edinburgh Royal hospitals curtailed my efforts.
I enjoy the history section the most but theres hardly any contributions.
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby WC1 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:53 pm

To Shona, Bill and Petewick: sorry to hear you folks have been 'through the mill' somewhat, but delighted that you've all come through the other side and are either better or getting better. A lot of folks on here I consider to be friends I've never actually met, even if I don't always agree with some of the points of view they express. But then, I don't expect they always agree with me either! Best wishes to you.

Reading some of the more recent threads has left me feeling a bit dispirited, and I think back to some of the discussions that have gripped folk in the past, like the Machrihanish Offshore Windfarm, for example. Lots of good to-ing and fro-ing on both sides of the debate. The Forum has been quiet lately, but perhaps there's been less happening in the town, fewer controversies to get folk excited, or maybe folk are using alternative platforms, like Facebook or Twitter. Whatever, I hope rumours of the Forum's demise are greatly exaggerated. I still like to read (mostly) even if I post less nowadays.

By the way, Lochend, less of the "elder", please. I feel old enough as it is!!
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Shona » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:54 pm

Thanks, WC1 - very sweet of you.

To Bill and Pete - I hope you both continue to recover and get back to full strength as quickly as possible.

Shona
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby lochend » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:46 pm

WC1,would you accept 'doyen' then?
lochend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby WC1 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:59 am

Don't think I've ever been a 'doyen' before, Lochend, but aye, sounds fine!
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby jesica1 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:09 am

But here are many active posters to talk and help others :D
jesica1
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Iain » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:27 pm

Shona, Petewick and Bill... Pleased to see you posting and pleased the health problems are getting better ! :wink:

Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Next

Return to General Chit Chat