Zany American gun laws :

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

Zany American gun laws :

Postby Iain » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:59 am

The death statistics speak for themselves..., as does Obama !

But going one step further, I’m saying to myself; ‘thank God they were never in Ireland’! Being a former soldier, I pay particular attention to ‘friendly fire’ incidents and the number of good British soldiers killed by them is heartbreaking.

Now, following their bombing of the hospital in Afghanistan, I’m wondering if their gun law mentality is responsible for all their gaffs..., shoot first, pay later !

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-34437106
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: Zany American gun laws :

Postby ChrisA » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:28 pm

Agree totally.

When I was 6, my dad and I moved to America (Dallas) so that he could find a better life. He ended up driving Greyhound buses all over the place, whilst I stayed with some friends of his.

Part of the uniform of a Greyhound bus driver - yes even in the late 60's - was a pistol, which my dad carried in a holster while driving around.

One night, when off duty and out for the evening, my dad got a call from his friends. Apparently he needed to get home quick because I had gotten out of bend, found his gun in a drawer and was threatening to shoot everyone!
Dad raced home and managed to get the weapon off me, BUT .. is this not a scenario we hear too much of in the States, many time ending a lot more nastily?

I'm not sure what president decided to arm everyone, but it really was a darned stupid idea. For once, Piers Morgan got it totally right.
ChrisA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Shona » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:06 pm

The so-called Right to Bear Arms was passed in 1791 - it was an amendment to the US constitution and reads:

'A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.'
Last edited by Shona on Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Govangirl » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:58 pm

Chris, that was one scary story!! And I was shocked to hear that part of a bus driver's uniform was a gun! :shock:

I don't know who said it in the States but it's true: one failed shoe bomb incident and we all have to have our footwear inspected at airports; more than thirty school shootings since Columbine and no change whatsoever in the regulation of guns. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Iain » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:15 pm

Hi Chris... Sorry for not replying sooner ! The Forum didn’t inform me of a reply...

In 1969, I did a 4-month tour of the USA and Canada with the Pipes and Drums of the Scots Guards. Baltimore, Toronto, Vancouver, San Francisco, San Antonio and back up to New York..., all using Greyhound ! The driver never wore his revolver, but he often played with it.
As professionals, we were always appalled by the flippant way the arm was left around in the bus or used in a theatrical way when telling jokes or emphasising a point of view.
A total prat !

As Shona said, due to a ‘medieval’ law they continue to exploit the situation commercially, while in the meantime, they criticize Saudi Arabia for having an out-of-date ‘bible.’

The Swiss don’t have an Army as such, (despite a few permanent regiments) but every family does have the right to have a rifle and, legally obliged to have a nuclear-protected cellar. In case of a war..., everyone becomes a ‘soldier’ and is immediately armed.
In the meantime, do we ever hear about them killing each other as the Americans do ?
Don’t think so !

I like the Americans and America, but their gun-laws show a hereditary neuron deficiency !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LFVIZzF-z4
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to General Chit Chat