Bagpipes

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

Bagpipes

Postby odds » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:31 am

Why is it that so many people choose to have bagpipes at funerals ?
I obviously don't mean Scottish people, but others.
I personally love bagpipes, but it is rather strange how people with no connection to Scotland suddenly think Bagpipes would be good at a funeral.

Just a thought :)

Pete
odds
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Bagpipes

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:47 am

They are possibly a symbol of lament in some peoples minds.
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby tarmmaker » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:33 pm

What xenophobic drivel odds.
So by your reckoning you can only play a French horn in France, a piccolo in Italy, a ukulele in Hawaii, a guitar in Spain and a record player in your bedroom.
Whatever gets you thru the night. J Lennon.
tarmmaker
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby cathian » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:55 pm

It seems odd that someone should post such a question at half-pissed-one in the morning. Songs such as " Amazing Grace" are popular at funerals and are best perfomed on the pipes.
cathian
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby EMDEE » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:01 pm

tarmmaker wrote:What xenophobic drivel odds.
So by your reckoning you can only play a French horn in France, a piccolo in Italy, a ukulele in Hawaii, a guitar in Spain and a record player in your bedroom.

I don't see why this is xenophobic. It merely asks why an instrument that is so associated with Scotland (and Ireland) has become so internationally popular at funerals, and can be seen in places where it is not a traditional part of their culture. My own opinion, for what it's worth is that over the last few decades the Highland Bagpipe has become a hugely international phenomenon, and this, coupled with the fact that it is such a successful outdoor instrument has led to its popularity. It also has a large repertoire of music that is appropriate for funerals.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby lochend » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:47 am

EMDEE,I think that there is a fundamental sadness in much of the bagpipe repertoire, perhaps harking back to the days of the highland clearances and the Irish famines.The bagpipes melancholy sound seems entirely appropriate to accompany a sad occasion,IMHO.
lochend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby EMDEE » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:43 am

Aye, I would agree with you Lochend, but the Highland Bagpipe has a huge repertoire which is appropriate to any situation. As anyone can see from my avatar picture I am a fiddle player, which is my principal vocation. I am also a piper, which was my first vocation, so I have a fair idea of what I am talking about.

Just as an aside, I think I would like to relate a small anecdote to demonstrate how the influence of the bagpipe is not universally understood.

As part of my duties as an "entertainer" (not a description that I particularly like, I see myself more as a tradition bearer), I carry out the ceremony of both piping in and addressing the haggis. At the interval, on one particular occasion, when I went outside for a cigarette (which I don't do now), someone from south of the border said that it must be good to be keeping up something that is a dying tradition. Of course I put them right on this, and advised them that piping throughout the world has never been stronger, but this just goes to show how the current status of the bagpipe is misunderstood.

In a similar vein, it is surely relevant that the Highland Dress i.e. the kilt, in its various forms, is appropriate for any event. It can be worn at Weddings, Funerals, Highland Games, Piping Competitions, Burns Suppers, St Andrews Events, or any other events, which don't even need to be Scottish. It is a universal dress. It is significant that the Cornish (another Celtic people) have re-adopted the kilt as a National Dress. I wholeheartedly approve of this and wear a Cornish sporran and kilt pin as a token of Celtic solidarity.

Do you have a kilt Rodger?
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby lochend » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:54 pm

EMDEE " At the interval, on one particular occasion, when I went outside for a cigarette (which I don't do now), someone from south of the border said that it must be good to be keeping up something that is a dying tradition." Perhaps the Sassenach was referring to smoking? :lol: :lol:
lochend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby EMDEE » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:17 am

Aye, that's one way of reading it. :D
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:42 pm

Emdee, I totally agree with you on the subject of bagpipes and you have given a very convincing case about such a beautiful instrument. However, I cannot agree about the kilt. I personally cannot understand why anyone would want to wear full Highland dress or even just a kilt if they have no connection to Scotland. I once met a lovely man in Bowmore High Street who was fully kilted but who was a Londoner who visited the islands occasionally. Sorry but I just didn't get that at all. :@
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby tarmmaker » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:58 am

More xenophobic kak GG.
So, only Scots in Scotland can wear a kilt? Should non-Scots get wet because we shouldn't wear a Macintosh! Or not drive on the road because it's MacAdam.
tarmmaker
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:34 am

tarmmaker wrote:More xenophobic kak GG.
So, only Scots in Scotland can wear a kilt? Should non-Scots get wet because we shouldn't wear a Macintosh! Or not drive on the road because it's MacAdam.

I have a Scots Pine that has fallen over in my garden last night in 60 m.p.h.winds.Am I allowed to touch it as it is Scottish and secondly can I use my McCulloch chain saw? :)Surely a Sassenach wearing a kilt is not wrong?Are you dressed totally in Tartan then Govangirl?
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:15 pm

tarmmaker wrote:More xenophobic kak GG.

Oh don't be so flaming stupid!! I was perfectly polite when I gave my opinion to Emdee. That's what we do on here: we exchange opinions. I respect Emdee's opinion and I'm entitled to mine and I was simply saying I don't get why someone would wear another country's national dress in much the same way as I loved the sari when I went to India and I loved the cheongsam when I went to China but I'd never choose to wear either because they are not my national dress. That's just my opinion. The whole of England would collapse if they didn't have their Bank of England, their televisions, postage stamps, penicillin, roads, etc. etc. etc. for which Scots are responsible but that's not what is being discussed on here - it's wearing the national dress - and your analogy is ridiculous. So don't get your tartan Macintosh in a twist, it's just my opinion. :roll:
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby tarmmaker » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:52 pm

Apologies GG. I just couldn't believe anybody could have your point of view. As for a list of Famous Scots, I'm sure there are more non-Scots who have done exceptional things than have. We should be amazed at genius wherever it comes from. As a slight dig, for which I do not apologise, there was a famous Scot who was in charge of the British economy for many years and didn't know what the banks were doing and who thought borrowing more than the country could afford was a good idea then ended up as Prime Minister.
tarmmaker
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Govangirl » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:04 am

And pray tell me what that's got to do with the price of haggis? Of course there are geniuses in every nation - you wouldn't find a stronger lover of Shakespeare than good old xenophobic cack-peddler me! :wink:
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to General Chit Chat