Comparison with 1963

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

Comparison with 1963

Postby EMDEE » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:12 am

I remember the 1963 snowfall, but don't remember electricity being affected. At the time I was in Dalintober School, and would have been quite happy to be off school. I do know that we lived in Albyn Avenue at the time, and on the first morning of the snowfall we had snow halfway up the windows of the house (prefab). Since then I have always measured snowfalls by this yardstick. However, I am told that the 1947 snowfall was a much bigger inundation.

Just as an example, my late father told me that the Castlehill Church Hall in Kinloch Road was completely submerged in a huge snowdrift, and was completely covered. (I'm too young to remember it. :roll: )

I do remember that in 1963 the average depth of snow must have been about 5 feet, and we had to get about for a few days by walking more or less in trenches that had been dug out of the snow, until it started to thaw.

It would be interesting if others who remember that event could post their memories and experiences.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Comparison with 1963

Postby jdcarra » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:18 am

EMDEE wrote:I remember the 1963 snowfall, but don't remember electricity being affected. At the time I was in Dalintober School, and would have been quite happy to be off school. I do know that we lived in Albyn Avenue at the time, and on the first morning of the snowfall we had snow halfway up the windows of the house (prefab). Since then I have always measured snowfalls by this yardstick. However, I am told that the 1947 snowfall was a much bigger inundation.

Just as an example, my late father told me that the Castlehill Church Hall in Kinloch Road was completely submerged in a huge snowdrift, and was completely covered. (I'm too young to remember it. :roll: )

I do remember that in 1963 the average depth of snow must have been about 5 feet, and we had to get about for a few days by walking more or less in trenches that had been dug out of the snow, until it started to thaw.

It would be interesting if others who remember that event could post their memories and experiences.

I Maurice,remember it all well.The height of the fences and drifts the height of houses.The back door of our house 55 Davaar was non accesible for ages because of the barricade fence between us and Mrs Cook.The fun we had helping digout the few cars in our street,incuding my fathers black Austin 7.Those were the days :D
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bitter End » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:26 pm

Good picture o Carradale crossroads from March '63 -- jist run doon the thread --Aye an dug oot by hand .

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73&p=106492&hilit=snow#p106492
Twice through the eye o' the sun to lift it.
Bitter End
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jdcarra » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:08 pm

Bitter End wrote:Good picture o Carradale crossroads from March '63 -- jist run doon the thread --Aye an dug oot by hand .

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73&p=106492&hilit=snow#p106492

Dick Galbraiths car.
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:52 pm

My abiding memory is waiting on the pier for the fishing boats coming in with the bread.I was working as message boy for McIlchere's then,so was there to help load the van.Also had to make sure to put a loaf to the side before they were all sold. 8)

I have a photo of the snow drift between us at no.6,and Connelly's at no.8 Hillside(prefabs).
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby WC1 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:13 pm

I remember a huge drift blocking Ralston Road at the back of the old Grammar School where the nursery is now. It was the height of the Grammar School wall and stretched across to the wee house that's now part of the Meadowburn sheltered housing.
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby MPR » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:34 am

remember the boats going for supplies and my mother instructing my father what she needed, and not to be giving it all away, remember helping to dig out my aunt with a fireplace shovel. Also remember the sheer joy of playing in snow. Was that also the year the northern lights were so bright in the sky?
MPR
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to General Chit Chat