More Health Advice

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

More Health Advice

Postby EMDEE » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:32 pm

Is anybody going to be changing their diet in view of the "news" today about meat being bad for us?

(Assuming of course that you are not already vegetarian.)

:?:
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: More Health Advice

Postby bill » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:21 pm

Isn't it processed meat that the report is about ?

In the study meats were grouped into red, white and processed.

Processed meat included ham, bacon, sausages and ready meal fillings.

Red meat included pork, horse and goat as well as beef and lamb,

White meat incorporated chicken, turkey, duck and rabbit.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby MPR » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:52 pm

Eat healthy, Excersise..... die anyway
MPR
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Delphinus_Dreams » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:20 pm

No
*showing my age, but* over the years I've read/heard so much conflicting advice, I agree with MPR
Eat healthy, Exercise..... die anyway

I think we have got lazy and common sense should come back, eating food only when you are certain exactly where it came from.

But even that isn't as easy as it should/could be :?
Delphinus_Dreams
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby odds » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:27 am

These studies really make me laugh, how much have they been paid to do and how long have they taken over this, and at the end of it they tell you what any normal person already knows but CHOOSES to eat what they enjoy. If it was so bad for your health the government would have taxed it to high heaven by now, like beer and cigarettes, claiming it will save on the NHS bill :)

A few quotes that make this 'study' a bit of a farce really.

"It concluded diets high in processed meats were linked to cardiovascular disease, cancer and early deaths."

So are a lot of other things in life !

"It showed people who ate a lot of processed meat were also more likely to smoke, be obese and have other behaviours known to damage health"

Just happens that the people they chose to survey were smokers. No explanation of "Other Behaviours", So it could actually be these 'other' behaviours and smoking that lead to an early death and nothing to do with the processed meat then !!

Will we now see health warnings stuck on packs of any processed meat products warning of imminent death if we eat it, just like cigarettes ?

Looks like bloody Corn Flakes in the morning then :(

Pete.
odds
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby EMDEE » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:13 am

Aye, I would agree with a lot of that. As you say, how much does it cost to tell us the bloody obvious?

If one was cyinical, it would look like someone has had "funding" to come up with a predetermined result and publicised it as "new". I think we have all been around long enough to know what is good and bad for us. I have been around for quite a number of years and have only just stopped smoking. I have known for many years that it is not a good idea, but apart from the obvious health reasons, I had reached the stage where it looked to me as if smokers were providing an increasingly substantial proportion of the revenue that could be squandered by our elected representatives. (in other words, fags were getting too dear).
In response to Bill, I had made the opening post after there was a report on the TV where someone was stating that all meat was harmful and we should be eating more plants.

Anybody fancy a dandelion sandwich? (I've never tried it but apparently it's like lettuce)

Incidentally, dandelion roots can be made into a coffee when they are roasted in the oven, so there we are, what we regard as a weed that is in almost everybody's garden can be useful to us. (I've even tasted dandelion coffee)

Maybe we need to get back to more home-grown produce.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:58 am

Are you wearing a kaftan Emdee?
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby lochend » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:50 am

LANDROVER ROGER wrote:Are you wearing a kaftan Emdee?

Roger,have you been phoning my wife? :lol: :lol: :lol:
lochend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Iain » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:52 pm

Living in a country where horse meat is an accepted dish, (although few people eat it) the news reports concerning the recent scandal have been relatively scarce. (probably why the French ringleaders chose Luxemburg, Belgium and Holland as distribution points)
Nonetheless, it has brought to light the mysterious disappearances of old donkeys and beloved “junky” horses..., as the price of disposing with their carcasses costs a veritable fortune.
As a result, when the owners are faced with the vet’s proposition to falsify the death as an “animal being killed” for the consumable meat market; facts suddenly become misty.
Under such circumstances, the owners receive money, instead of paying for the carcass disposal; a win-win situation for all..., except the general public.

Cowboys / Far West / Kentucky / and billions of horses bred over the past couple of USA centuries..., do you think they all paid dollars to dispose of the carcasses ? Lol..., where did they all go ? Hmmm ?

A friend-of-a-friend : Saved up all his life to do a world tour on a hired yacht..., they took their poodle with them.
Stopping off in China they decided to eat-out at a local restaurant. Summer, hot and with the dog’s tongue hanging out, the waitress suggested that the dog be taken to the kitchen for a drink.
Content with the idea and pleased for once to eat in peace, they made their order, ate and paid the bill. Then, they asked to be reunited with Chichi as it was getting late.
Cutting a long story short, it turned out that they had eaten their poodle. The system being in China that if you take a dog to a restaurant, you eat free.
She..., fainted and was returned to Belgium as a nervous wreck. He, was imprisoned for a few weeks after assaulting the restaurant staff.

Anecdote: Beware of all supermarket products that do not explain in detail the products’ origins..., especially minced-meat and haggis. Lol ! :lol:
Last edited by Iain on Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby bill » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:59 pm

Iain wrote:Cowboys / Far West / Kentucky / and billions of horses bread over the past couple of USA centuries..., do you think they all paid dollars to dispose of the carcasses ? Lol..., where did they all go ? Hmmm ?

Horses bread :!: ........ Do they make bread from horses :?: 8)
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby four eyes » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:07 am

bill wrote:
Iain wrote:Cowboys / Far West / Kentucky / and billions of horses bread over the past couple of USA centuries..., do you think they all paid dollars to dispose of the carcasses ? Lol..., where did they all go ? Hmmm ?

Horses bread :!: ........ Do they make bread from horses :?: 8)

Ho ho thats a good un :lol:
four eyes
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Iain » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:28 am

Lol ! Point taken..., and changed ! :wink:

Oh ! By the way..., yes ! They call it meat-loaf !
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to General Chit Chat