fly fishing in kintyre

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

fly fishing in kintyre

Postby Colinmac » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:13 pm

Hello, I'm looking for some local knowledge on the best places to fly fish for both salmon & wild brown trout. Any help & information would be gratefully received.
Kind regards
Colin.
Colinmac
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Re: fly fishing in kintyre

Postby lochend » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:43 pm

Colin,I am not the best person to reply,not being a resident, but I will try to help.There are plenty of opportunities for loch flyfishing for wild brownies in the Campbeltown area.Aucholochy and Knockruan will have a head of wild brownies and used be stocked occasionally as well.Loch Lussa is fairly close by and that is a much larger water which I believe is stocked with Rainbows and will have a stock of wild brownies as well.The Backswater which runs through the Machrihanish golf course used to have salmon and sea trout run but was mostly a spate river.There are two rivers at Southend which may still have runs of migratory fish but any flyfishing would be mostly for small brownies.If it is flyfishing for Salmon you are interested in,the best prospect would be the Carradale water on the east side of the peninsular.This is a lovely water but mostly spate.I am not sure about the availability of the fishing at Carradale but I am sure further research would be rewarding.This is a beatiful part of the world to fish if you can get some local knowledge and the right conditions.Good luck.
lochend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Colinmac » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:18 am

Cheers for the information lochend.
I was on the Carradale water many years ago. I used to go clay shooting on the estate . I know the area well, but have never fished down the southend.

It doesn't look like many locals use this site anymore. Are you a member of the the fly forum?
Regards Colin
Colinmac
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby jdcarra » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:08 am

Colinmac wrote:Cheers for the information lochend.
I was on the Carradale water many years ago. I used to go clay shooting on the estate . I know the area well, but have never fished down the southend.

It doesn't look like many locals use this site anymore. Are you a member of the the fly forum?
Regards Colin

Hi Colin

I read your starter post but forgot to reply,but Lochend has given you a good bit of info.Having fished all of these mentioned over the past ? years whilst growing up in Campbeltown and my move to Carradale many moons ago.Not done much now and was a founder member of our local club (Carradale) up to about four years ago.
I'll ask around and get some reports on all mentioned,but as said some good fishing in a few.
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby kmc » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:07 am

Hi Colin

Sorry I did not see this until now.

I own Hardware Stores in Longrow and I sell permits for the Local Lochs for the two clubs.

The new season starts in March and I will have more info nearer the time on prices and stock.

Kenny
Kenny
kmc
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Colinmac » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:44 am

Thank you JD & Kenny for your replys. Most of my fishing in Kintyre was around the Clachan area. I used to fish the waters onthe Pollock estate along with Duncan Clarke. Duncan like my father has passed away but i have many fond memories of fishing along side them.

My aunt marihon & uncle Bruce lived in Kilkenzie. Happy days were spent climbing on the old buildings along with their son Neil. Hazy days with not a care in the world.
Colinmac
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby jdcarra » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:20 pm

Cheers Colin

Sent you a PM.
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby lochend » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:07 am

KMC.Did the shop you now have,used to be A.P McGrory? I have a vague recollection of buying a permit for the "Kintyre Fish Protection Society " to fish Auchalochy, from a hardware shop on Longrow. Ithink it would have been in the early sixties!
lochend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby kmc » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:34 pm

lochend wrote:KMC.Did the shop you now have,used to be A.P McGrory? I have a vague recollection of buying a permit for the "Kintyre Fish Protection Society " to fish Auchalochy, from a hardware shop on Longrow. Ithink it would have been in the early sixties!

No I am in Longrow next to the Clydesdale Bank, I bought the shop 21/2 years ago and took on the fishing from the last owner. He took the fishing on when A P McGrory closed.
Kenny
kmc
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby lochend » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:02 pm

Thanks for reply Kenny.
lochend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to General Chit Chat