O.S.A.

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

O.S.A.

Postby Martin » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:18 am

Let’s see if I can ask this without giving too much away but at the same time make some sort of sense.
Back in 1978 one of the jobs I drifted through had a requirement to sign the Official Secrets Act. I was so shocked and upset by what I witnessed that I quit before signing the act. This has nothing to do with recent abuse claims or terrorism, in fact it’s something you would probably never associate with the OSA.
So, the question is….where do I stand on this ? If I were to put down what I witnessed on a public forum for example, would my front door come flying in ?
I’ve been asking this question on various places for the last six months and I’m not getting any closer to an answer. No, I will not be going to any government website, I don’t trust them. I was told yesterday that I shouldn’t have been taken on without signing but the fact remains that I was and I didn’t.
There is a simple reason for this, a while back I read a post (not on here), the man was pontificating on a subject he knew nothing about and I wanted to put him and others straight on a few facts, I also want to put it down on my blog.
I know I’m not giving much to go on, but if anybody can give me a definite answer it would be much appreciated.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: O.S.A.

Postby Hume » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:43 pm

Post it here Martin and we'll all decide if it was a good idea or not!
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby gizmo » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:29 pm

You can tell me. I need to know if I need to know.
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby bill » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:54 pm

I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:46 am

I signed the Official Secrets Act several times between 1959 and 1963, we had to sign it every 6 months, I`ve often wondered if I`m still bound by it.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Martin » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:59 am

NP, I would suppose that once you've signed it you are bound by it forever. I've just been looking at two copies I have, one from 1949 and one from 1976 and there doesn't seem to be any time limit mentioned.

Bill, Gizmo and Hume, thank you so much for your helpful answers.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:50 pm

Not that it really matters Martin, I don`t think that anything I say will threaten national security, I was a G.P.O. telephonist!!
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Martin » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:16 pm

I'm certain that what I want to talk about is not a matter of national security either, more a case of the government not wanting the great British public going mental, like they are prone to do when whipped up into a frenzy by the media.
I worked at a quarantine kennels, you can draw your own conclusions from that.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:05 pm

Martin, you would need permission to talk about it even if it is no longer 'sensitive' material. Also,I'm sure you know but you never actually 'signed' anything because the Secrets Act is a Law and not a contract. Once you sign that you have acknowledged it, and that you are agreeing to abide by the restrictions of the O S A then you are bound by law not to divulge that information to others. The reason you sign again when you leave is to confirm that you really do understand that you do not talk about it! So wheesht!!!!
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby gizmo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:10 pm

If, as you say, you didn't sign it. What's the probem. Get it off our chest, spill the beans.
If you end up being silenced by the authorities, it will prove your story.
Then , cue iiiis, enter stage left. :roll:
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby four eyes » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:57 pm

Martin wrote:I'm certain that what I want to talk about is not a matter of national security either, more a case of the government not wanting the great British public going mental, like they are prone to do when whipped up into a frenzy by the media.
I worked at a quarantine kennels, you can draw your own conclusions from that.

your a kennel maid!
four eyes
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Martin » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:43 am

Thanks G.G., I think I will just hold my tongue, probably safer for me that way.
Four Eyes, you're very close, I was one of only two males surrounded by a lot of lovely looking lassies, that was the best part of the job. Unfortunately they all must have had hearts of stone.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to General Chit Chat