Independence for Scotland.

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

Independence for Scotland.

Postby tarmmaker » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:54 am

OK, I'm over 60 and not very political. I am, probably like the majority of folk, generally interested in politics. I shout at stupid people on Questiontime, and don't read voting flyers before elections. Having seen parties of opposite ideals come and go, I have come to the conclusion over the years that it doesn't matter who's in power. There will always be winners and losers. No party has a magic wand. This isn't complacency, I am just a realist.

So, will independence be good for Scotland? Probably won't make any difference. I don't know. Neither does anyone else. Many talk about oil and gas revenue, but will it make a difference to our everyday lives? Will Scotland raise it's own army, or start it's own health service? Just how independent can it be?
On a more practical note, is the revenue of taxpayers from a population of 5.25million sufficient for the country's needs?

I am English but choose to live in Scotland because I love it.
Whatever gets you thru the night. J Lennon.
tarmmaker
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Independence for Scotland.

Postby four eyes » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:09 pm

The Salmon has already started to sell us to the yanks,nice course Trump you bald arse!
four eyes
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Iain » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:00 pm

Living in Belgium but nonetheless, very attentive concerning SNP ambitions..., I read an interesting article on a BBC page recently.
LONDON, (Ministry of Defence commercial propositions: http://www.armedforces.co.uk/armyindex.htm ) Trillions..., (not salmon) are being proposed yearly by the MoD but if Scotland is “out,” will you benefit from such opportunities ?
Just a simple question ! (among many other simple questions about SNP ambitions !)

And when the oil runs out ? Or, when some "name-me-a-famous" Belgian inventor discovers viable energy from salt water and oil has no longer a sales value ! (that's a simple scientific conundrum relative to 2015) :?
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Hume » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:29 pm

Iain,

It's interesting you refer to 'opportunities' and whether Scotland will benefit from these. Some might say that that the level of spending on Defense is far too high.

Scotland's share of UK Defense spending is, I think, £3.3bn pa. Notwithstanding the fact less than that is actually spent IN Scotland, I've read reports that an Independent Scotland could feasibly spend £1.5bn pa and maintain a significant Defense core. This would still be higher in terms of % of GDP than many other similar sized nations.

That saving would be highly significant for Scotland, allowing us to bolster budgets that are actually important to people, such as Health and Education, not to mention the fact we would no longer be as prone to entering in to illegal conflicts.
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Iain » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:35 pm

Very interesting.
Wonder what would happen to the nuclear defence based in Scotland; and where London would put it if the Scots develop a "nimby" attitude ? Lol !
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to General Chit Chat