Access to the RAF Camp

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

Access to the RAF Camp

Postby odds » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:49 am

During my visit over the last 2 weeks I thought I would take a nostalgic visit up to the camp now that it is under new ownership and get some photos of the old buildings I used to frequent in my youth. So I drove up to where the old Guard House is/was and turned down to be faced with an electronic barrier denying access by car. Is this barrier operated by the turbine factory ?, seeing as they don't even own the land do they have the right to block access in this way ?
I never even thought of just parking up and taking a walk through, but would I have been met by security people politely asking me to leave ?
Anyway, do any of you local chaps ever bother to go up there for photography reasons or will you just be glad to see it bulldozed down and forgotten about :)

Pete.
odds
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Access to the RAF Camp

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:47 am

If it is still M.O.D.property you could be arrested for trespass.Are there any warning signs posted on fences etc?
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby howlsatthemoon » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:59 pm

LANDROVER ROGER wrote:If it is still M.O.D.property you could be arrested for trespass.Are there any warning signs posted on fences etc?

Thought it belonged to the community now.
A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself
howlsatthemoon
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Andy Anorak » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:45 pm

The Airbase does belong to the Community now. We bought it for £1 under The Land Reform Act (Scotland) 2003 to prevent asset strippers depriving the Community of this excellent resource.

I think odds must have gone up to the Wind Towers Limited gates which are indeed controlled electronically and has an intercom system.

The public entrance to the site is on the left just at the 30 MPH sign and is controlled by an electronic barrier and there is a security guard on duty 24 hours a day.

The Machrihanish Airbase Community Company (MACC) employed 24 hour security when they took over the Base from the MOD on 11th May 2012 because there had been thefts of scrap metal and MACC on behalf of the businesses are keen to have a secure site to keep the Community assets and prevent them being stolen. There is also an airfield on site (one of the longest in Europe) which occupies 42% of the 1,025 acres.

MACC did arrange an open day for the public to see what they had purchased for their £1 on 21st July. I appreciate that odds is located in Manchester so this may have been inconvenient.

Whilst the Base belongs to the Community, visits should be organised for the above reasons. I am sorry odds was disappointed on this occasion. MACC are planning an annual open day event but if odds wishes to take photographs when they are next visiting the area I suggest e-mailing enquiries@maccdl.co.uk so that an organised visit can be arranged and clearance made with security.
Andy Anorak
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Niander » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:38 pm

LOts of interesting stuff in there but cannot just have people wandering around
even though i would love to myself
also an airfield with not much of a fence internally...i also went on the tour ..very interesting
Niander
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby four eyes » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:57 pm

I think odds knows where the old guardhouse is,he spent a good couple of years waiting for the school bus just round the corner.Or passing by it on his way to the slightly dodgy youth club that existed out there for a while.
four eyes
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby odds » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:18 pm

four eyes wrote:I think odds knows where the old guardhouse is,he spent a good couple of years waiting for the school bus just round the corner.Or passing by it on his way to the slightly dodgy youth club that existed out there for a while.

So true, and playing football behind it with a couple of the RAF lads when they were on duty at night, I only remember Eddie Flood was one of them, good footballer he was. There was nothing dodgy about that Youth club :wink:

You know me better than my missus ........... that's worrying :)

Pete.
odds
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby four eyes » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:07 pm

Knowledge is power old chum.I always hear the voices of those that lived there long ago if i ever dare to venture out that far on my travels.The ghosts of those poor RAF kids who were windblasted and rained upon for their few years spent in that outpost of the dammed are forever roaming the walkways of Cnoc Moy and Rannochan. :lol:
four eyes
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to General Chit Chat