Scam

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

Scam

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:14 pm

I recently advertised a car on Pistonheads web site.I received an e-mail asking if it was still for sale.The person then wrote back and said it looks O.K.on the photographs so he will buy it.He said that he would pay by Paypal and have it collected as he was out of the country at present.He then sent another e-mail saying that it had been paid and I would get a confirmation e-mail from Paypal.The grammar and spelling changed and did not look genuine.I kept checking my Paypal balance and nothing had been paid in.He asked me to pay £500 to cover the shipping costs.Realising that it was a scam I told him to eff off and stop wasting my time.He did not respond.I then had an e-mail purporting to be from Paypal stating that the money was in my account and a vehicle collection company from London would be in touch.The Paypal e-mail was also a scam but looked genuine.
I checked my Paypal account and no such payment had been made.Beware!There are some clever b******s out there!
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Scam

Postby Crowth » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:14 pm

The b*stards! Thanks for the heads up, Roger.
Remember, a penguin is for life not just for elevenses.
Crowth
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Bobh » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:36 pm

A colleague of mine had a similiar scenario. His was, the buyer would actually pay more for the car by paypal, reason being banking excuses. He then had to return this money to him and the car would then be collected. Needless to say he was shrewd enough to tell him where to go. The email interest came from Nigeria
Bobh
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Bonnie Lass » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:54 am

You can report any "scam/questionable" e-mails from so-called PayPal to: spoof@paypal.com

They obviously like to keep track on all these type of e-mails.
Bonnie Lass
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:12 pm

Thanks for that Bonnie.I have forwarded all communications to them.
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby reid » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:42 pm

I experienced something similar years ago! I even received a nice "bouncy" cheque through in the post!
reid
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Ileach B » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:59 pm

When dealing with paypal your e-mails should always read Dear blah blah (full name) never dear customer or dear paypal customer. Losts of spoof e-mails at the moment, wanting you to confirm your security or log ins!
Ileach B
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to General Chit Chat