Bagpipes

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

Re: Bagpipes

Postby ionnsaigh » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:25 pm

:(
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mzz pasico » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:19 am

The banter between GG and Ionns fair cheers me up!! :lol:
Mzz pasico
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:24 am

Mzz pasico wrote:The banter between GG and Ionns fair cheers me up!! :lol:

"Chanter banter"in this instance. :D
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:17 pm

Tae blaw yon pipe, tae make it sing,
Tae stir the blood, ding ding ding,
Tae tap the toe, an toe the tap,
Tae hit the boards, rap rappy rap. :D
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mzz pasico » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:03 pm

GG announced on the forum, the bagpipes will learn to play,
Go for it girl, what the heck, life's too short I say.
So if GG u do succeed and i have faith you will,
You will be the toast o' Govan and maybe Maryhill!
And we here on the forum, wish you luck fae yin and awe,
So get the practice chanter oot
It's time tae puff n' blaw.
And when you're wordly famous,and a' will want to see,
Remember us in the audience
Free tickets for Ionns an me!!! :D
Mzz pasico
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Govangirl » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:00 pm

Brilliant Mzz Pasico!!!!! An aye, jist like the bagpipes, Ionns is an auld blawbag!!!!!!! :lol:
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mzz pasico » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:25 pm

Govangirl wrote:Brilliant Mzz Pasico!!!!! An aye, jist like the bagpipes, Ionns is an auld blawbag!!!!!!! :lol:

:lol: :lol:
Mzz pasico
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:11 am

Govangirl wrote:Brilliant Mzz Pasico!!!!! An aye, jist like the bagpipes, Ionns is an auld blawbag!!!!!!! :lol:

Pardon me for correcting the Scottish dialect,but I think that Blawbag are a Scottish band. 8|
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:10 pm

LANDROVER ROGER wrote:

Pardon me for correcting the Scottish dialect,but I think that Blawbag are a Scottish band. 8|

Roger:

It might be a typo. Maybe it's meant to be "bawbag" :lol: :lol:
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:13 pm

Just trying to wind miss up. :D
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:02 am

Aye Bawbag is merr like it.

Like it Mzz Pasico, a real talent :D
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mzz pasico » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:38 am

ionnsaigh wrote:Aye Bawbag is merr like it.

Like it Mzz Pasico, a real talent :D

Awe thanks Ionns! I wrote a poem some years ago and have submitted it!!! :)
Mzz pasico
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Iain » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:50 pm

GG..., please forgive me but I’ve just noticed your posting. You should have PM’d me ! Genealogy seems to be pinning me down on this site ! Lol !
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=14017

A great decision ! Nonetheless, I feel that someone soon will probably be sending me a digitalised smack around the heed ! Lol !
If you were my daughter, (and you probably have her age) if she’d asked me that question, I would have replied “accordion”! Sorry ! An accordion is an instrument that can be picked up at any time of the day or night and it sounds Jimmy-Shand-perfect every time. Not the case for the bagpipes !

Another reason for a negative point of view is the following:
Because you had to make a decision between two instruments, means that the bagpipe-choice didn’t come from the heart ! It sounds as if you just about flipped a coin !
The Great Highland Bagpipe is an extremely difficult instrument to learn. They say you need at least seven years, playing every day. Of course, at that rate, you’d then be able to enter competitions..., but I suppose that’s not a short-term ambition !

There are many additional problems with the instrument. Firstly..., and like many women ( :lol: ) ..., they are very temperamental, and more than just once-a-month ! Lol !
If you don’t play the instrument every day, (for at least 10 minutes) then the pipe bag dries up. In fact, in parallel with the seasoning, it’s the humid breath that keeps the bag wet, supple and as a result, airtight. Like our skin, the pig or kangaroo skin is full of pores and if the bag is not seasoned correctly, the holes leak air and you’ll find yourself puffing till you’re blue. Visualize the lone, inexperienced piper while playing and doubled-up looking “Disney” ridiculous. Also, when the reeds start drying up as a result..., the sound is awful !
So..., do you have the time for maintenance, as well as learning, and learning and learning ! Don’t forget that a piper has to memorise all the tunes..., no place on the uniform to fix a music-stand ! Lol !

Also, another major problem is the fact that you do not have a teacher. Learning the pipes without a GOOD teacher is fatal !
Don’t forget, it’s not a CD that will tell you you’re playing a false note or not keeping an even pressure on the bag !

Nonetheless..., if you succeed in playing correctly, there’s a great deal of pleasure that can come with solo piping and playing with a band..., not to mention all the benefits it provides for the lungs.
Do you smoke ? Lol ! Think about that question ! (such an act is not for a beginner)

If my daughter was to ask that question, my choice would be the Northumberland bagpipes ! (or the regional equivalent)
http://www.burleighsmallpipes.com/index.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiuMwskh ... re=related And look..., lol..., it’s feminine !

The UTube URL is rhythmic, but it has so much versatility it can provide “musical softness” and harmony and is a great ambiance-maker..., and you’d also be able to put your poems to music. (not the case with the bagpipes)
You can sing along with yourself, (no puffing, as the lungs are replaced by bellows) ..., and it’s much easier on the ear..., morning, noon and night.
Not to forget that if played slowly it conjures up the waves lapping on the rocks of Low Askomil accompanied by some goose-pimple-Gaelic singer from some Hebridean CD filtering for added ambiance. Peaceful bliss ! (but don’t forget that the chanter has more than one octave plus one note)

Also, it’s an instrument you can play sitting down and after sharing Mister Govan Girl’s bottle of Springbank, a chair is more comfortable when you start “swaying” to the music. Lol !

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t205 ... Guards.jpg
Angus, one of my Pipe Major teachers. Alex..., a Sovereign Piper teacher. (just for the manufacture of reeds in Chelsea Barracks..., thanks to Pipe Major R.L. Kilgour, today in Denmark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LnLz6mVUk4 Flowers of the Forrest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a68U7ob5Wzo

Anyone wanting Scots Guards FACEBOOK friendship can PM me ! We'd also like you to participate in a survey which will finally help wounded Scots' soldiers from the Arab wars. Thanks !
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:38 pm

Thank you so much Iain! Firstly
Iain wrote:If you were my daughter, (and you probably have her age)

:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm closer to your age than you think Ian!!
Secondly, that was quite negative - rightly so too. I think I needed a dose of reality actually. The DVD I bought is making it look like I'll be a pro in no time at all. I played the clarinet for years and had to give it up when I first got pregnant as I didn't have the puff for it. Years after having my family, I tried to go back to it but it didn't come easy and I also couldn't practise often enough.
Because the bagpipes are my favourite sound I thought I could maybe master it despite not finding a teacher.
I think you are right, it's a lovely idea but a bit pie in the sky. :( I also had no idea of all the maintenance involved :<>
Can I ask, are you saying that the accordian is easier to learn or just it's an easier instrument overall?
Thanks
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Iain » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:07 pm

:lol: At least now you've been warned !

You know ! When I was about 7 years old in Campbeltown there was an old piano in the front room. No teacher ! Nonetheless, I did manage to pull out a fairly good one-fingered Scotland the Brave and a two-fingered version of “chopsticks.” Lol !
Now, I’m not saying that the accordion is easier to play, nonetheless, it is an instrument that’s “maintenance-free” and the occasional false note would probably be less audible. So..., more enjoyable. :wink:
You’ll also find a teacher closer to home.

And don’t forget, you can play Stranger on the Shore on the accordion..., something you can’t do with the 9-note GHB. :)

Good luck..., Iain.

Hmm ? Don’t they call the accordion the “Aberdeen bagpipes”? Lol ! Can’t remember !

PS Surprised you don’t have a pipe band near to home !
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

PreviousNext

Return to General Chit Chat