Biker support for our servicemen and women

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

Biker support for our servicemen and women

Postby Mr Plod » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:22 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right bit for this thread.

I'm just raising this post to see if there are any bikers in the Kintyre area who might be interested in attending charity biking events next year (2012) such as Ride To The Wall at Drayton manor, Black Rats at Catterick Army base or Erskine Hospital bikers day and other national events supporting our servicemen and women.

I ride to quite a few events but find that from here to my "jump off point" usually a service station south of Glasgow, I'm on my own but find there are dozens of other bikers from up here turning up at the same events when I'm there.

I'm not wanting to start a club as I'm already a member of Clyde Valley HOG and the Royal British Legion Scotland Riders Branch. It would just be nice to be able to travel in the company of other bikers. My bike is not particularly fast or sporty so even smaller bikes would be welcome company. Even if the sporty bikes want to shoot ahead there could be meetups at points along the way.

I am informed there is to be an event at the Machrihanish Airbase on 24th June 2012 which will include a motorcycle rally, vintage car rally and aircraft flypasts. Also my own chapter Clyde Valley HOG is having a rally at Drymsinie in June 2012 which is open to all bikers and trikers, which is not advertised to the rest of Argyll. I also attend the Erskine Hospital biker event as well from here.There is stuff happening all over the UK where bikers are travelling to events to support our troops in Afghanistan and at home injured after their tours of duty.

Last year I rode all the way to Lichfield to attend the annual Ride To The Wall event at The National Arboretum. 24,000 bikers paid their respects on the day. An awesome effort by any standards. I also attended Dunedin HOG's Thunder In The Glen rally at Aviemore with my friends Les and Sandra on their trike. 5,000 bikers rode out on the day through some of the most beautiful scenery this country has on offer. Neither of these events are advertised anywhere in Argyll.

If anyone is interested in getting together next year for some events then post here and we can make plans. The Royal British Legion (Scotland) Riders Branch is recruiting bikers at this time. You do not need to have any military service to join.
It is £6 to join the Legion for servicemen and women and £7 for associate non service. For a further £4 you can join the Riders Branch.

Details for joining the Legion and the riders branch can be found here

http://www.rblsr.org/

Instead of joining the National Branch you could join your local branch. I have opted to join the local Legion Branch here in Campbeltown and support local servicemen and their families.

Bikers raised hundreds of millions of pounds for injured servicemen in this country over the last 5 years by supporting major events and fundraising either through motorcycle clubs or Help for Heroes or the Royal British legion.

So if there are any Argyll bikers out there interested in going to biker charity events supporting our servicemen as a group from Argyll please post your thoughts on this.

Thanks

PS If anyone can assist me with details on the event on 24 June at the airbase I'd be obliged. My plan was to try and convince my chapter to make the trip up here for that day. If it brings some money into the local economy more's the better.
Eagles may soar............but Weasels never get sucked into jet engines
Mr Plod
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Return to General Chit Chat